Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SKS - the poor mans assult rifle?  (Read 5207 times)

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
SKS - the poor mans assult rifle?
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »

OK I like the M16/AR15/AR10, but up here in Canada they are ristricted, so you cannot hunt with them, and taking them to the range is... well a bitch but doable.

I bought a Chinese SKS copy from Norinco and loved shooting it, because it loved cheap bullets, shot like crap with good quality bullets.  This spring I picked up a Russian SKS... oh the quality is so much better.

I have a Dragonov stock for the Norinco, may get another for the Russian, although this stock at least fits a 6ft man, unlike the Norinco one.

I like the SKS, the round is heavy enough to put meat on the table, there are lots of accessories for it, and it is dead reliable.  at 120 dollars it is a lot cheaper to buy than an AR which up here is about $1000.

So, how do you like yours?

To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: SKS - the poor mans assult rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »

im thinken this should be merged with the AR15 Thread   :nixweiss:

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »

Well then it would be how do you like your SKS/AR15 and some would think they are related
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »

Well then it would be how do you like your SKS/AR15 and some would think they are related

Don't under estimate  the gun crowd here  ;)  We know there  different guns  :2vrolijk_21:  I have a SKS  its a good gun. I have the chinese version  its a baby AK  there dependable,they look good and you can beat the crap out of it and will still fire.  Only problem I had was finding ammo , I forgot what size it takes ,but remember it some oddball size  other than that I like it  :2vrolijk_21:

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »

Odd Ball size?  Its one of the most common rounds avail in the world LOL

I have a Norinco one, and a Russian... The Russian is by far the better built and better shooting.  Interesting enough the Norinco loves cheap rounds, hates good stuff.  The Russian just likes to go out and shoot
To Libs and NDP

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »

7.62x39 mm.  I think you can even get it at WalMart!  Absolutely the most common round in the world.

Jesus is Lord

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »

I have a Norinco one, and a Russian... The Russian is by far the better built and better shooting.  Interesting enough the Norinco loves cheap rounds, hates good stuff.  The Russian just likes to go out and shoot
[/qu

thought it was different size , I have not had mine out of my safe since 1998 . Fun Gun  just like shooting others more  ;) thanks for the size of bullets , Im gonna get some  :2vrolijk_21:

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »

ive got a chinese SKS,ive found it to be acurate,fun gun & the value is going WAY up.@ $120.00,buy a bunch of them,i got offered 400.00 at the last gun shoe i was at

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »

Don't under estimate  the gun crowd here  ;)  We know there  different guns  :2vrolijk_21:  I have a SKS  its a good gun. I have the chinese version  its a baby AK  there dependable,they look good and you can beat the crap out of it and will still fire.  Only problem I had was finding ammo , I forgot what size it takes ,but remember it some oddball size  other than that I like it  :2vrolijk_21:

Dont get me wrong,, im not knocken the SKS at all.. I bought 5 during a huge crate sale at Wild Sports Sacramento back in 1999. They were selling them at $85, cleaning kits and sling another $15 bucks, i remember people were lining up as they were breaking open crates..  kept one for myslef, one to each of brothers and dad..  We had blast on weekends shooting them and still do now-and-then.  My dad got a BIG kick dancing 5lb coffee cans along the desert floor  :huepfenjump3::2vrolijk_21:  Ammo is as easy to get as ever, although a bit pricy now days. Ammo prices remind me of gas prices, they go up/down depending on market conditions and crazy lunatics drive ammo prices .  The SKS and AR's are defiantly two different rifles but they are both considered assault so i though it would be more fun keeping the topic in one place..  Maybe a thread titled Assault Weapon thread would be more appropriate for this or just the current Gun Thread.  In any case, it was suggestion and i can enjoy the topics either way they go   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:29:45 PM by cvobiker »

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »

I got a Russian sks 1995 for $99. Came with everything including bayonet. never fired it, still in the box.
Maybe some day I'll run a box through it.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »

I got a Russian sks 1995 for $99. Came with everything including bayonet. never fired it, still in the box.
Maybe some day I'll run a box through it.

The Russian SKS is (i've heard) the most reliable and desirable of the 4 versions and from what i understand desirability runs in this order. (I have the Norinco)
Anybody is welcome to correct me if im wrong ???
1. Russian
2. Albanian
3. Norinco
4. Yugo

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 05:53:11 PM »

Yugo much better than Norinco

The fire pin holding pin on my Norinco sheared at 1800 rnds
To Libs and NDP

dustinsipes

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 03:07:48 AM »

This is what even I knew that Yugo much better than Norinco.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 05:41:31 AM »

I seen the Yugo jam and over heat not that great !!!!
DND

wideglidejoe

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »

I'm not a SKS expert by any means...........there are also Red China SKS's.  It has milled/machined parts in the receiver, some of the other brands/other nations mfgr have stamped steel parts instead of machined.  The milled/machined parts seem to be more durable over the long haul vs. stamped parts.  I've put a lot of rounds thru them, they are very reliable.
2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
2005 Wide Glide
1962 Mustang Bronco Scooter
1972 Indian (Italjet 50cc) minibike
1965 AC Cobra replica
1955 Chevy Bel Air
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.