Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Speakers in the saddlebag lids/should I?  (Read 24111 times)

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: Speakers in the saddlebag lids/should I?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 12:44:57 AM »

I upgrade the entire sound system in my 09 SERG two winters ago. Started with Alpine head unit, two more speakers in the fairing (total 4 Hawg Wired now), and 350 watt amps. Then went with Focal 6 x 9 in saddle bags with 400 watt amp and speaker lids. The sound is awesome even at 140 kms. I highly recommend  the speaker lids as it completes the whole system and makes if "feel" like you're riding on a cloud of music.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 01:37:38 AM »

Just finished HD Boom saddlebag speaker kit, for CVO; sounds nice while parked. Got on road and all I can hear is front speakers, found myself placing hand on lid ( checking for vibration ) to see if they were on. Well they look good!
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 01:50:21 AM »

That seems to be the story, Sure glad I asked first... I think I am going to go with a similar front system as sea biscuit
Alan

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »

I too have been mulling this over for quite awhile.  Spent some quality time with Rich on the phone which was very helpful.  Finally found a local shop that is very knowledgable. That shop uses Hertz speakers and Arc amp.  I have a 12 SESG so i have the lids. Although Rich and most others say that doing the rears is a waste i am leaning towards doing it. Drop 6x9's in there with a smaller amp.  Cost is way up there as well so i am still fence sitting.

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »

From all these replies and talking to a local shop I think I will bag the "lid" idea as I only ride alone and am looking for sound at speed.
Sea Biscuit, you are saying that there is a huge difference with changing the speakers and amp in the front but keeping the same stock look?
This might be a dumb question but are those components meant for a bike?

Huge difference going from the stock Boom Audio to what I have now. So much louder and clearer (I don't have to "guess" what is now playing on my sound system at half the volume). I mostly use my iPod and record uncompressed and it is quite impressive on how loud and clear this system actually is. If you are mostly listening to CD's or iPod, the HK head unit works quite well with my setup (I actually was thinking about changing it but the shop that I was/am still working with talked me out of it).

I have no illusion that the bag speakers will be as loud at speed (yes officer, I obey all speed limits ;)) as my front setup, but with my 6X9 Focals in the rear, they should provide good "fill" when travelling.

My Arc Audio amp is specifically made for motorcycles. The Focal speakers are not specifically made for motorcycles but the shop that did the install uses them quite a bit in motorcycle applications and hasn't had a problem. I've washed the bike a few times and the speakers got wet but no problem (although I wouldn't put a high pressure hose to it,,,they look to nice to do that :))

FYI, the shop that has done all my CVO paint (lids and Razor-Pak) is http://www.gcpaint.com/. They do the CVO paint for Harley and match paint and graphics perfectly. Talk to Kent.

The shop that I am working with on my stereo is http://soundzcustomz.com/. Talk to Pete.

All I can say is the Arc Amp and Focal Speakers "rock" with the stock HK unit and you will not be disappointed with spending that money on the upgrade when you are rolling down the highway jamming to tunes with a big  ;D on your face!

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »

SeaBiscut, thanks for the info.  Any idea how the Focals compare to Hertz?  Also, how do you record on iPod "uncompressed".  Does that make a big difference in the sound?  Thanks

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »

Thanks Sea Biscuit, I just got off the phone with the guys at Street Noyz in SD that have the best rep in town for MC's and I asked them if price was not a factor what would they do and they came up with the same speakers as you for the front (which is all I am doing) and a similar amp so away I go... Gave them my credit card and doing the install on Friday... You da man!
Alan

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »

Thanks Sea Biscuit, I just got off the phone with the guys at Street Noyz in SD that have the best rep in town for MC's and I asked them if price was not a factor what would they do and they came up with the same speakers as you for the front (which is all I am doing) and a similar amp so away I go... Gave them my credit card and doing the install on Friday... You da man!

You are going to love it!

ROCK ON! :bananarock:

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 01:59:07 AM »

I upgrade the entire sound system in my 09 SERG two winters ago. Started with Alpine head unit, two more speakers in the fairing (total 4 Hawg Wired now), and 350 watt amps. Then went with Focal 6 x 9 in saddle bags with 400 watt amp and speaker lids. The sound is awesome even at 140 kms. I highly recommend  the speaker lids as it completes the whole system and makes if "feel" like you're riding on a cloud of music.

Might have something to do with it!  :bananarock:

What amp are you running and where did you install it?

I know I'm going to have the serious mod bug after being deployed for 6 months, so when I get home in Jan, I gotta figure out what I want to have done before I get on the road again!

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 06:41:18 AM »

I have been speaking to a number of shops here is Mass.  anyone have any suggestions on a top shop.  I am very torn at this point as everyone has different solutions.  curent shop i am talking to would do the Focals (wow $$$).  But they recommend an amp in the bags and not the fairing. I was going to go with the Arc amp or possibly a Hawg Wired.  I wont go with the Rockford at this point since there a number of posts that seem to have some issues, mainly with heat.  I also want to change out the 5x7's in the bags.  Choice for an amp there seems to be run it off of the amp in the fairing, or add a small amp in the bag.  Thoughts are appreciated. 

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »

I want to give a "shout out" to Sea biscuit for his help on this deal. After PM'ing with him a few times, it was obvious that he is a audiophile and really knows his sh@t about audio systems. Thru this forum and my dealer I found a "high end" audio shop in my city (Street Noyz) that has done some great work not only for a couple of guys here but also for my dealer. After checking them out on the internet it became obvious that these guys were the "real deal". I called them and told them about Sea Biscuit's system and they completely agreed that it was the best available in the market right now and also agreed with most of the people here that the rear speakers would not be very effective at speed but with this system in the front, i would be "blown away" by the difference.
My bike is there now and the install will be complete tomorrow afternoon (including carpeting the saddlebags). I am very fired up and cant wait to hear it.
Thanks Sea Biscuit!
Alan

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 12:01:49 AM »

I think you're definitely making the right decision.  The bag speakers are a cool concept, but don't work well in the real world, especially for the $$$ it takes.

Let us know what you think of your new system after you get a chance to try it out.  I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but right now have been banned from spending more on the 'sikle.   :(  Goota keep the peace.  :-*

Dan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 12:18:08 AM »

The 1 thing I did change (from Street Noyz's recommendation) was a larger Arc amp KS300.2 in the bag (350 watts) to make sure I could get the volume I needed for when I wear my Schuberth in the winter. We also added a in line driver (Audiocontrol Overdrive) to increase the volume on the XM to the same level as the Ipod.
Alan

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 12:47:29 AM »

I hope you will put a few pictures of the full system as soon as you'll get it.  ;)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 01:12:14 AM »

Everything is being installed behind the "stock" speaker grills so the only way to tell the system is different then stock will be to listen to it...
Alan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.