Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shuddering and pulsing front brakes on my 2012 SESG  (Read 2758 times)

ultrarider123

Shuddering and pulsing front brakes on my 2012 SESG
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:12 AM »

I looked through the posts on the "Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes topic line and didn't see this discussed.  I may have missed it so Mr. moderator, if you know where it is, feel free to direct me the right direction.

If not, Ginger has recently developed a weird issue at hwy speeds (55-60) when I apply the brakes.  The front is beginning to shudder/pulse with light to moderate application of the front brakes.  It doesn't do it all the time and when it DOES do it, it's only at hwy speeds slowing down.  I use front/rear brakes to slow her down.  When I notice it's doing this, I have experimented with just front brake and just rear.  It's the front brakes.  It just started this a couple weeks ago as I noticed it slowing down to turn into the driveway.  I thought I had run over a small animal or rock but the next time is did it, I noticed nothing in the road and began to pay a bit more attention.  Doesn't do it around town speeds (30-40) and only really does it after I've riden a bit without utilizing the brakes.  Ginger has only 5,000 miles on her clock.

Checked out the front/rear brake pads and rotors and see no visible issues with either.  Pad wear is good/steady and rotors have not uneven wear or extensive wear...better not after only 5K miles!  I'm thinking ABS may be acting up?  As this is the first bike I've owned that had ABS, I've played with it a bit so I would know how the system works/feels in an emergency situation.  This problem doesn't feel like that.

I have an appointment scheduled with SMHD this Saturday morning to see what the problem was but wanted to bounce this off the CVO family and see if anyone else has had these same issues.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Shuddering and pulsing front brakes on my 2012 SESG
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »

Could be a warped rotor. :nixweiss: OEM rotors are famous for warping I had to have mine replaced for that reason as many other have had to do the same. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »

I read a few posts on the rotor warpage issue and that may be the case here but it's not a steady shudder and it's not consistent.  It may not do it (not at all on Sunday's ride) or it may do it a few times (twice on the way home from work yesterday) so I'm stumped.

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »

wanted to bounce this off the CVO family and see if anyone else has had these same issues.
Had the same "shudder" when applying the front brakes at about 12k miles.
Brought it in, service manager said they "reset" the front brake pads.
I assume they bled the front brake lines, I know they didn't replace any brake pads or rotors.
The shudder is gone, so whatever they did fixed it...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:27:58 AM by xsdbs »

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »

xs, that is sorta the way my thinking is going.  While I did check out the pads, I didn't remove the front wheel to really inspect them.  I though about going through it this past weekend (rained most of the day Saturday) but decided since it's still in warranty, let the dealership do it.  Thanks for the feedback and experience...glad to know that fixed your issue.

I'll post the outcome after the visit on Saturday.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »

Warped rotors. Had both my fronts replaced at about 8k on my '12 cuse7. Got 81k on my '07 cuse2 and it has original rotors. So my guess is cheap marginal rotors on the newer bikes. Hate to think it but it will probably happen again. Friend had major problem with rear brake (warped rotor) on his ruse. I had my ruse for a year and it started shuddering/pulsing from rear brake right before I traded. Know several others with rotor problems so it is not uncommon unfortunately.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »

Mine is doing that on occasion. When I think it has a problem, it goes away. I was thinking it was the road since it did it some on a recient trip and is fine now that i'm home. Keep us posted.
RETIRED! :fireman:

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:11:11 AM »

Warped rotors. Had both my fronts replaced at about 8k on my '12 cuse7. Got 81k on my '07 cuse2 and it has original rotors. So my guess is cheap marginal rotors on the newer bikes. Hate to think it but it will probably happen again. Friend had major problem with rear brake (warped rotor) on his ruse. I had my ruse for a year and it started shuddering/pulsing from rear brake right before I traded. Know several others with rotor problems so it is not uncommon unfortunately.

You know, the MOCO has cut corners for years to save on cost and boost profit but (remember the evo's and the timken bearings deal?) you would think with all the extra money they have to spend on recalls, rebuilds, warranty issues and such, they would just go ahead and put the best on it up front.  Sad to hear you had the same issues and it WAS rotors.  I will post as soon as I can when I get back from the dealer Saturday.

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 09:15:05 AM »

Saturday was interesting at the dealership.  I was surprised that yes, they replaced the pads and rotors on the front and re-set and cleaned the pads on the rear.  I don't use the brakes as much as I use the motor/compression/gears to slow most of the time so to have warped rotors (as ultrarfxr mentioned) was really frustrating.  Of all the bikes (HD and otherwise), I've NEVER had warped rotors.  Bad pads, yes, but not bad rotors.  Looks like the posts and discussion concerning the inferior parts (rotors, rectifiers, etc) is right on.

Rode like it was new on the way home with no issues front or back.  One note on the rear pads being "re-set".  I didn't really understand that information from the service manager but whatever they did, it worked.

Let's see what they do for the next 5,000 miles.... :bananarock:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:45:23 AM by Ultrarider1 »

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »

Have an '11 RGC and had the same issues before 10K miles, had HD check them and found them to be "in tolerance" at my lasst visit for 20K miles, they were found to be inside of allowable tolerances again. Long story/shortened;
Went to Sturgis and got new wheel and tire for the front as well as pads and matching floating rotors and it is like a new bike!!!!!
I don't think the design of the stockers is good, and perhaps lends itself to the warpage...
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »

Saturday was interesting at the dealership.  I was surprised that yes, they replaced the pads and rotors on the front and re-set and cleaned the pads on the rear.  I don't use the brakes as much as I use the motor/compression/gears to slow most of the time so to have warped rotors (as ultrarfxr mentioned) was really frustrating.  Of all the bikes (HD and otherwise), I've NEVER had warped rotors.  Bad pads, yes, but not bad rotors.  Looks like the posts and discussion concerning the inferior parts (rotors, rectifiers, etc) is right on.

Rode like it was new on the way home with no issues front or back.  One note on the rear pads being "re-set".  I didn't really understand that information from the service manager but whatever they did, it worked.

Let's see what they do for the next 5,000 miles.... :bananarock:
Even a non-wrenching fart guesses right every now and then ;D ;D....

Could be a warped rotor. :nixweiss: OEM rotors are famous for warping I had to have mine replaced for that reason as many other have had to do the same. :(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

Even a non-wrenching fart guesses right every now and then ;D ;D....

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yep and thank you, too for the input. Still surprised it was the rotors but glad they are fixed.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.