Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: MOCO Says NO to Transmission Gear Oil  (Read 17745 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Re: MOCO Says NO to Transmission Gear Oil
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 10:09:34 PM »

Talked to my dealer about this issue and SB, and got the "deer in the headlights look".  They didn't know anything about it.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:
i think that is the first thing that they teach the service people , they are very good at the look
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

I believe the MoCo is saying that the heavier wieght gear oils are a problem. They are not likely to say OK to use Mobile 1Vtwin or Amsoil etc just that the heavier weight oils are a potential problem. :)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 11:45:09 PM »

Sure makes me wonder if the whine associated with OEM HD transmissions is related to the thinned down fluid they are recommending.

I have cases of the thick Redline stuff still so that is what will continue to go in mine. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 12:14:40 AM »

My 05 had a whine in 4th ( I believe for the same reason as the new 5th gear noise) and I kind of liked it. :) Let me know that gear I  was in.  The only noise  that I don't want to hear ( and hopefully I won't jinx myself ) is the " coffee can full of huts" noise.  >:(

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 08:32:38 AM »

Could someone please POST the Harley SB? Or at least a link to it?  Let's get this over with!!

Rhino
Has the bulletin been posted anywhere?
2023 CVO Road Glide

Tros

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 01:22:53 PM »

Has anyone tried the Vavoline Racing oil 20W50 (dino)?    Is this the type of 20W50 dino oil that used to be commonly available.   Xtra Zinc, Mmmmm...good.  It comes in synthetic too.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?Product=94

I think I'm going to use Rotella T (dino) 15W40 in the trans & primary.  I never had any problem using it as engine oil in the VTX but it might be a bit light for hot weather in the HD.  It has good anti-sheer properties.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 01:45:01 PM »

I run the Rotella in my Diesel truck. To my knowledge that is all I've ever put in it over the last nine years. Hmmmm one container on the shelf as opposed to seven. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide

Tros

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »

I changed my mind an picked up some HD Formula+ for the trans & primary.  Valvoline VR-1 20W50 is going in the engine. 

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2007, 03:56:29 PM »

'07 owner's manual calls for syn3 in all 3 holes.

I know whch hole I'd like to put it in

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2007, 04:01:49 PM »

I know whch hole I'd like to put it in
Drain hole?? Naw, better not do that it probably isn't environmentally safe. Best thing is to leave it on the shelf and get you some good oil/fluids for your scooter.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2007, 05:31:40 PM »

Regarding lubrication requirements, it is my understanding that Vendors supplying the various internal gearbox components including bearings have the last word on the grade of lubrication, not necessarily the brand. The bearings in these transmissions are not pressure fed but rely on splash and gravity to get the lubrication to some of the more obscure areas in the transmission.

Two of the most obscure areas in these transmissions are the mainshaft needle bearings in the main drive gear and the left side countershaft needle bearing. These bearings operate under substantial load and require an ample supply of fresh oil for lubrication and cooling.

IMHO, the folks running Aunt Jemima’s pancake juice in their gearbox risk damage due to insufficient lubrication. The heavy stuff doesn’t have the properties necessary to adequately lubricate and cool under all operating conditions; this is especially true in low ambient temperatures at higher speeds. It is my sense that when faced with a warranty claim, the Vendor supplying the failed component will be the one rejecting the claimed failure based on the evidence of inadequate lubrication; JMHO.

djkak

Tros

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2007, 11:06:46 PM »

First oil change.

I cleaned the oil pan between each drain.

I did the primary first because Hoist found chunks in his.  I had the expected microscopic metal sheen (not bad) but no chunks. :pepper:

With the engine oil from the tank I only found a bit of thread sealant from the plug, the oil looked better particulate wise than the first oil change from my Ford, meaning it was pretty clean and little to no metal sheen.  From the oil filter there were a couple flakes which means the filter is doing it's job.  I put a black oil filter back on.  I'm not paying for disposable chrome.  :jalapeno:

Finally the transmission.  A fair amount of sheen from wearing in, no chunks, about what I expected from the meshing of new gears.   :cucumber:

I'll ride it tomorrow and see if it shifts or sounds any differently.  I don't know what was in it from the factory but it smelled like Formula+ or motor oil.   

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »

First oil change.

I cleaned the oil pan between each drain.

I did the primary first because Hoist found chunks in his.  I had the expected microscopic metal sheen (not bad) but no chunks. :pepper:

With the engine oil from the tank I only found a bit of thread sealant from the plug, the oil looked better particulate wise than the first oil change from my Ford, meaning it was pretty clean and little to no metal sheen.  From the oil filter there were a couple flakes which means the filter is doing it's job.  I put a black oil filter back on.  I'm not paying for disposable chrome.  :jalapeno:

Finally the transmission.  A fair amount of sheen from wearing in, no chunks, about what I expected from the meshing of new gears.   :cucumber:

I'll ride it tomorrow and see if it shifts or sounds any differently.  I don't know what was in it from the factory but it smelled like Formula+ or motor oil.   

If that was your first oil change...should have been Syn3 in all three places....

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Tros

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2007, 06:00:10 PM »

If that was your first oil change...should have been Syn3 in all three places....

The recommended oils for my FLSTSC are dino engine oil & Formula+ for the trans & primary. Which isn't to say you can't use Syn3, I just choose not to.

I haven't detected any changes in operation or function since changing the oils.

BTW Advance Auto Parts P/N T70402A251 Filter Wrench - $4.94, fits the HD oil Superpremium5 filter. ;)

Oil discussions are always a slippery subject.  :D

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 07:45:55 PM »

The recommended oils for my FLSTSC are dino engine oil & Formula+ for the trans & primary. Which isn't to say you can't use Syn3, I just choose not to.

I haven't detected any changes in operation or function since changing the oils.

BTW Advance Auto Parts P/N T70402A251 Filter Wrench - $4.94, fits the HD oil Superpremium5 filter. ;)

Oil discussions are always a slippery subject.  :D
Oops, sorry, I thought you were talking about a CVO.  They come from the factory with Syn3 in all three holes.  You're right, on a non-CVO they come with dino oil and tranny fluid....

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 20 queries.