Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle shipping.........  (Read 2446 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Motorcycle shipping.........
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 01:36:09 PM »

....On another note.........if you have extended warranty, it will not cover "worn out" cam chain tensioner shoes.....it will only cover the job if they're "broken".  I guess the moral of this story is to make sure that it's broke. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Even better then making sure they are broke versus worn out is to go with gear drive cams and eliminate this potential problem.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 01:37:22 PM »

Thought I might add a couple more things to this thread.......

While in Sturgis (and in Cheyenne, Wy. on the way to Sturgis) I noticed that my bike was making more noise.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 01:49:15 PM »

Even better then making sure they are broke versus worn out is to go with gear drive cams and eliminate this potential problem.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Gary ( and anyone else with gear drive cams)

The MoCo just completed a major redesign of the twin-cam platform with the 07 models. I am not saying any of you are wrong, but I cannot help but wonder why they did not go to gear drive. They have shown a propensity over the years for following the after market when it had a better mousetrap. Case in point , the primary chain tensioner released by the MoCo last year as an after sales item and now standard on 07 models. They also drop ideas that don't work out as the enclosed belt drive in the Sturgis models. Belt drives work when allowed to be open to the air and disipate heat, but not in a enclosed environment. Soooo I am wondering what in the gear driven cam setup they see they don't like. Logic would dictates that it would be way cheaper to produce, simpler to install and repair. So what are the drawbacks. Seems to me I recall that Hubbard retained his stock tensioners on advice from Tilly's ( or am I wrong here)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 01:51:38 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 02:02:57 PM »

..... Soooo I am wondering what in the gear driven cam setup they see they don't like. Logic would dictates that it would be way cheaper to produce, simpler to install and repair. So what are the drawbacks. Seems to me I recall that Hubbard retained his stock tensioners on advice from Tilly's ( or am I wrong here)
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 02:24:02 PM »

[highlight]From what I understand and have been told it's a simple noise issue[/highlight]. Because of all the other engine noise the motor makes w/o gear drive cams to go to gear drive would put it over the limit and it wouldn't pass the EPA noise limitation/restrictions.

I know there is a little bit more (different sound) that can be heard from them over my Rineharts. I would imagine w/a stock bike that this noise would even be greater and thus would create the problems passing the EPA tests.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Exactly what I was told by an HD Rep.  Additionally, it works out well for the MoCo as the savings to them is considerable going with the plastic tensioners in lieu of the costly gear drive.  Makes you wonder if it really is an EPA matter.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 03:03:42 PM »

Exactly what I was told by an HD Rep.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 04:01:27 PM »

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Exactly.  If my chitty tensioners can hold on for another three weeks [smiley=nervous.gif], I'll be in the clear.  Then the tensioners and the oil pump that all the plastic chit went through will be history. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

I'm thinkin' if all they did was replace the shoes on JC's bike, they did a half-a$$ed job.  What about the shoes would cause the bike to lose oil pressure? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 04:30:09 PM »

Gary ( and anyone else with gear drive cams)

The MoCo just completed a major redesign of the twin-cam platform with the 07 models. I am not saying any of you are wrong, but I cannot help but wonder why they did not go to gear drive. They have shown a propensity over the years for following the after market when it had a better mousetrap. Case in point , the primary chain tensioner released by the MoCo last year as an after sales item and now standard on 07 models. They also drop ideas that don't work out as the enclosed belt drive in the Sturgis models. Belt drives work when allowed to be open to the air and disipate heat, but not in a enclosed environment. Soooo I am wondering what in the gear driven cam setup they see they don't like. Logic would dictates that it would be way cheaper to produce, simpler to install and repair. So what are the drawbacks. Seems to me I recall that Hubbard retained his stock tensioners on advice from Tilly's ( or am I wrong here)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 04:44:35 PM »

Here's a question on cam chain tensioners.

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 04:51:10 PM »

Does S&S have a patent on the gear drive system?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Chip,

Yes, S&S has a patent on the gear drive.  The following is from their catalog:

MEETING THE NEEDS OF HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINES The [highlight]patented S&S Gear Drive Cams [/highlight]are a must in order to achieve  the  full  potential  from  high  performance  Twin Cam  88  or  twin  cam  style  S&S  engines.    Since  the  chain drive  system  used  in  stock  Twin  Cam  88  engines,  is  not adequate to accurately control valve action at high rpm when  using  high  lift  cams  and  high  performance  valve springs,  a  different  system  was  needed.    The  S&S Gear Drive System was developed to improve performance and to eliminate potential engine damage caused by failure of the chain and tensioner system.

Jerry

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 05:04:35 PM »

As much hassle as the MOCO gives S&S I would think it would be very awkward for the MOCO to use the gear drive system!

That would be interesting for S&S to sue Harley for copying their ideas.
\
 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 05:10:21 PM »

As much hassle as the MOCO gives S&S I would think it would be very awkward for the MOCO to use the gear drive system!

That would be interesting for S&S to sue Harley for copying their ideas.
\
 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
I guess turnabout is fair play - I understand H-D sued S&S about using the Twin Cam name, among other things.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 10:49:29 AM »

Exactly.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 12:15:10 PM »

Jim, that's exactly the point I was trying to make.  NOTHING about the shoes themselves will cause the oil pressure to drop, the pump has to be damaged (in this case from the shoe material).  So, if the dealer only replaced the shoes on JC's bike his oil pump probably looks like the one in your photographs. [smiley=nervous.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 01:19:58 PM »

I believe that they did replace the pump as well....JC, Can you confirm?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.