Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: One lucky SOB  (Read 5042 times)

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
Re: One lucky SOB
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »

Looks like a poor entry, not real bad, just not optimal, and a little fast.  Probably should have been on the binders hard in that little shoot at the start of the turn, then added power in the turn to move the IC to the rear.  But he he rolled off the throttle to compensate.  That shifted the IC forward and the front end stalled in the turn.  That thing was way over and not rotating at all.  By the time it recovered he was running out of road.  The scooter just doesn't seem to ever want to rotate in the turn.  Peeps have said in the past that there was a fault in the front end geometry that causes that.

All in all, it looks like that scooter handles like a real pig. 

I think my reaction would have been to drag the rear brake a little right when it stalled.  Try and force it to rotate, and at the worst make it a low side slide.

There's something unseen up with the turn too.  The rice burner in front of him seemed to have an issue in the center.  You don't see it, but you can hear him pinch the throttle.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »

Poor skills, bad reaction  :o

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

There's something unseen up with the turn too.  The rice burner in front of him seemed to have an issue in the center.  You don't see it, but you can hear him pinch the throttle.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, that particular section of road has a camber drop off that catches riders by surprise. It used to be graded, and then flat. Over time the movement of the surface has degraded the earth and caused the road to suddenly slope downwards right in the turn. So bikes with low clearance and lean angles start dragging parts.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »

Looks like to much video footage and cameras to be a real "accident". Just my take on it! :nixweiss:
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »

Looks like to much video footage and cameras to be a real "accident". Just my take on it! :nixweiss:

That particular piece of Mulholland is well known for accidents, as evidenced in that video. So much so that on weekends people set up lawn chairs and bring cameras just to catch the action.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »

I think many of these are on Mulholland at that same local.  Deffinately something going on there

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »

I think many of these are on Mulholland at that same local.  Deffinately something going on there

Roger,

A lot of Mulhullond is like that. The darker spots tell where they have repaired the road. Like many of the canyon and country roads, the surface is constantly changing due to movement of the earth. This is a continuous condition, so  best they can do is patch it. The result is that the tires meet a variety of surfaces from high traction to low traction, graded, to outward sloping with no banking. And as you can see, at speed those changes come in the blink of an eye.

If those "racers" want to risk their own lives, fine let them lower the gene pool. But week after week they take out some unsuspecting rider. And while this may piss some people off, I think they should take it to the track. On a track the surface is well maintained and properly graded. All the other riders around you are in the same mind set, and everyone is going in the same direction.

More times than I care to recall, I have been encroached by riders drifting into my lane from the opposite direction. There's no reason for that. I'm all for speed, power, handling, braking and control, but take it to the track where it belongs.

I'll get off my Afghan soap box now.

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 10:50:52 AM »

There a couple of little wrinkles in the pavement right after the patch.  Look at about 1:45, you can see the rear tire bounce and loose traction. 

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:55 AM »

This road could easliy be compared to the Dragon out east with several folks out there with cameras taking video and stills.
Big Lew
IBA #595
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.