Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 1000 mile service cost...$WOW$  (Read 26192 times)

Bud-Nut

• Nothing bets a Good Women, a cold beer, and CVO
Re: 1000 mile service cost...$WOW$
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 01:31:49 AM »

Just did my 20k, had the dealer do it just because the warranty was about to end, $425
With rear brake pads, and they replaced the rear wheel bearings (bearings under warranty)
Life, It has the ups and downs, wind in your face, bugs in your teeth, smile on your face. CVO under your butt.
It takes some a Life time to fine the finer things in life.
Ride Hard, Ride Fast, and let them try to catch you.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 01:58:53 AM »

Having watched my 1K, 5K and 10K interval services, it does depend on who does the work.... there are some techs that are anal and perform each step in the manual (and a few others that a keen tech knows to look for) and there are others that were simply lazy.

At this point, I do some on my own or if its convenient, at an indy shop... Stuff like servicing the forks, I can either remove the forks and drop them off or just take the bike in.

I dont have the time to do a lot of the stuff so its just a matter of time.. or money... 

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

funbiker1967

• Semper Fi
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:03 AM »

Supdude,  That is a awesome link.  That guy really did a nice job of detailing exactly what to do.  Another reason that I like this site.
Just remember worse things have happened to better people....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »

To give you a rough idea, the official Harley labor time standards show 2.1 hours labor for a 2012 e'glide CVO 1000 mile service, (and about 1.6 hours for the 5000 mile service).  So if your dealer actually does everything on the checklist, which is unlikely, he might be able to justify two hours labor plus retail for the fluids and filter.  Even if your dealer charges $100 per hour, you can see that those places charging $400-$500 are definitely screwing people.  Throw in the fact that most places really only perform an oil change and maybe a belt adjustment and you get an idea of just how bad people are being screwed.  And this still doesn't take into account the fact that it should in no way be necessary to perform the first service at only 1000 miles, especially after most have already paid the dealer a bogus "setup" fee where all those same items were supposed to have been checked and adjusted.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »

Since it only requires a low level of skills to perform the recommended scheduled services, many are capable of performing their own service inspections, adjustments and fluid changes.  Doing so can make you at least somewhat familiar with your bike's mechanicals, which can be good experience if you ever encounter issues on the road... 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »

I can change my oil and run through a check list. What would I have to document to protect my warranty? With a car you simply have to keep the oil and filter receipts. I believe there are laws that protect  warranties for DIY maintenance. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 10:43:57 PM »

I can change my oil and run through a check list. What would I have to document to protect my warranty? With a car you simply have to keep the oil and filter receipts. I believe there are laws that protect  warranties for DIY maintenance.  

In actuality you don't have to prove anything, they would have to prove any failure was due to lack of maintenance.  It's one of the many things covered in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.  However, if you want to play it safe all you need to do is keep dated receipts, either for the fluids and parts you replaced yourself, or the bill from an independent shop.  They cannot tie your warranty coverage to buying their fluids and parts or having their dealer do the work.  That is also covered in that same Federal law.

If you would like a suggestion, when it's time to do a service go to the H-D website and print out a copy of the maintenance schedule for your bike and current mileage interval.  Check off everything you inspect, adjust, or replace and make notes on anything unusual.  Attach copies of the bills for the fluids and filter, sign and date it, and file it for future reference.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 12:26:55 AM »

Write Mother Harley and report you've got a rideability safety issue that the dealer is refusing to address under warranty.  Then suggest your next step is to report this lack of warranty support toward a safety issue to the DOT ( https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq ).  Then forward a copy of that letter to the dealer.

The sentence following all that should be, "Then they'll adjust the damned neck."  Trouble is this is Mother Harley, the patron saint of arrogation, so who the hell knows what will happen.  It's still what you should do though.

Don't wanna Hijack this tread, but need to make a comment.
I just had the same thing happen to me.
One hell of a wobble at low speed. They blew it off first service. (Free at my dealer)
Didn't dare let my grip go for fear of it.
They told me it was with in spec!!!
I told them I didn't care, it was unsafe.    >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
So after telling him how I really felt, I stated.
That's fine then, just put that on the work order and I will sign it, as the work order is a binding contract!!!
He was like (HUH). I said yep, just jot down that my concern is not really a problem, then when I wreck, if I survive, I will be your new boss!!   
He then said, I will see what I can do.
Low and behold, he calls me back several days later telling me they did tighten the bearings for me, but they made them over spec.

I have put 1000 on since, rides great!!!!!!!!!!!!! Low speed wobble is gone and it is just better handling all around.

Damn shame I had to do all that to fix a known problem.
Hope this helps anyone else with this same problem.

BigDave

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:34 AM »

Dealers are a big rip-off and there's plenty of dishonest ones out there that won't even think about doing everything they're supposed to ... they just want your money. I recall a story where some guy paid for his service and his bike came out "all done" with the SAME EXACT oil filter it went in with ... How would you like that? I'm glad he busted them ... I think he took a pic or made a mark on the filter or something, just goes to show you're better off doing it yourself. I refuse to go to any dealer for anything except warranty work.

I only let them rape me once for the 1K mile service just for peace of mind in case there would be any engine issues, but I've never had any and do my own after that. I always did put a nice scratch on the oil filter to make sure I never got boned that way and never have ... so far. I know I also do a better, cleaner job without slopping oil all over everywhere it shouldn't be ... dealer is always good for over-filling the motor oil and slopping up the lower, front motor mount and everything around it. For the record my last 1K mile service was a tad over 200 bucks.   
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 20 queries.