Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Progressives 444 on a FLHRSE5..? How low can I go..?  (Read 1466 times)

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
Progressives 444 on a FLHRSE5..? How low can I go..?
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:59:22 AM »

Hey Folks,

Later today I'll be ordering a set of the Proggressive Mono Tubes for the King to lower it and improove the front suspention.  My wife will be riding this bike and she's only 5' 4" so I'd like to lower the back end at least an inch if not more as long as I dont adversely affect the safety and ride quality.

Can someone tell me with certainty what is the lowest I can go in the rear..?  The 444's are new and come in an array of sizes, down to 11".  The stock spring shocks that come on the bike are 12".  I'm thinking that this may be the right way to go.

However, I've made some calls to local MC shops in the area and some mechanics are suggesting simply to add the "Blocks" in the rear that off set the springs lowering the rear as much as 2"..!  Can that be done and maintain safety and proper ride handling..?

Last note.  This bike will be riden one up always.  The rear pillion is off the bike and prolly won't ever be put on unless travelling and need a place to rest luggage. We're both on the lighter side, me 170 and her 130.

I appologize for reposting this, I believe I posted something similar a week or so ago, but I got very limited respones and I'm really wanting to this done now. The weather is finally cooling down and the King is itch'n to be ridd'n  8)

Thanks Fellas

Matt

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Re: Progressives 444 on a FLHRSE5..? How low can I go..?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »

Matt, Whatever you do post it on here, I have been thinking about lowering the rear of my 07 SERK by changing the shocks but after having this bike for 6 years i hit on the correct air pressure so i'm not changing the shocks. Someone told me about the lowering blocks, But have not run accross anyone using them.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:01:37 AM »

Your wife is petite, not tall and light weight (a great thing).   My wife is 5'8" and weighs around 155..  I truley believe most shocks are made for riders above 175#'s..  I had 12.5" 440's on my 05 and rode nice.  Put them on  my wife's bike (09 FLHX) and was way to stiff on the softest setting.

I believe the 444's will be too stiff at her weight and going to 11" you will lose travel.

I just put Ohlin's on my wifes bike from Howard at Motorcycle Metal   www.motorcyclemetal.com     ..
They are the 2-2A's..  They are 12 1/8" eye to eye with 3 1/4" travel.  When the sag is set properly  eye to eye will be a little over 11" with her sitting on the bike.  The ride is greatly improved.

He is in Florida and a salty old crust.  Read everything you can on his website about setup.  Give him a call.  Just be educated before you call as he is sarcastic but knows his product.   He gives 10% off for being a forum member of HDforums or probably here too and gives another 5% off if you write a review.

JMO-Bob

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »

I just put Ohlin's on my wifes bike from Howard at Motorcycle Metal   www.motorcyclemetal.com     ..
They are the 2-2A's..  They are 12 1/8" eye to eye with 3 1/4" travel.  When the sag is set properly  eye to eye will be a little over 11" with her sitting on the bike.  The ride is greatly improved.
JMO-Bob

Thanks Bob!  Just hung up with Howard, very knowledgable fellow.  He also suggested the 2-2A's.

Did you also change out the front shocks, i.e. mono-tubes..?  

And just as a side note, anyone looking for DIY instructions on a great many things need to look at his web site under DIY.  Howard really spent a bunch of time amassing a great wealth of information. Pics included . 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:21:09 AM by EagleGlider »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

Thanks Bob!  Just hung up with Howard, very knowledgable fellow.  He also suggested the 2-2A's.

Did you also change out the front shocks, i.e. mono-tubes..?  

And just as a side note, anyone looking for DIY instructions on a great many things need to look at his web site under DIY.  Howard really spent a bunch of time amassing a great wealth of information. Pics included . 

Have done nothing with the front yet. Howard is working on something for the front but not close to being out yet.  You can buy shocks from Ohlin, but Howard tweaks them quite a bit from what I have read.  Buying off the shelf shocks works for many but the Ohlin's are a lot better solution for her.
Her shocks shipped about a month ago were $587.00..  Not much more than an off the shelf shock. 

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »

Have done nothing with the front yet. Howard is working on something for the front but not close to being out yet.  You can buy shocks from Ohlin, but Howard tweaks them quite a bit from what I have read.  Buying off the shelf shocks works for many but the Ohlin's are a lot better solution for her.
Her shocks shipped about a month ago were $587.00..  Not much more than an off the shelf shock. 

Ok.  Thanks again. The price is right for sure. And my gut tells me 11" is prolly the lowest I should go.  My bride may simply need to buy thicker soled boots if this doesnt work....    :2vrolijk_21:

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »

PM SENT
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »

So it's the end of the day and no shocks ordered   :confused5:  spent time talking with three knowlegable folks, including a Harley Mechanic (big progressive fan).  

On the table now are Ohlin's for thr rear and possibly progressive standards up front...  Thinking this may be the ticket.  I learned that the progressive standard mono tubes once installed will actually sit 1/2' lower than Harley stock. Couple that with properly adjusted Ohlin's to get down to 11"...

alright... enough of this for now. Time to  :drink:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:24:04 PM by EagleGlider »

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 20 queries.