Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Watch That Fuel Gauge!!  (Read 21402 times)

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Re: Watch That Fuel Gauge!!
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »

I've never seen a report on the margin of error for the speed calculation, but the standard margin of error for civilian GPS for location, according to the Defense Department, is about eight meters. 

Jerry

So, let's assume that it can be 8 meters plus or minus and 8 meters is about 25 feet (more or less).  2 X 25 = 50 feet. That comes to about 1% of a mile.  If there is no cumulative effect the GPS should/could be a more accurate indication of speed.  Please check my math.  I'm not what I used to be.   :)
Do it now!

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2013, 12:43:49 AM »

As for the fuel gauge, glad you don't give a f$%* (or two).  Obviously a lot of other people do, or the several threads on the site bitching about the gauge wouldn't exist.  Oh, btw, I forgot in my last post to mention reason number three.  Running out of gas and stalling while running down the road is also a safety issue.  Try it in the middle lane of a packed freeway running at high speed some day.  If you survive the experience, perhaps then you will give a f$%* about a lousy fuel gauge. :nixweiss:

Jerry

Jerry if your in the above situation and you dont know how much fuel you have left and relying on a light to tell you when you need to refuel... Seems unrealistic to me unless you stumble through life with no planning or forethought.  ??? 
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »

:'(
Do it now!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »

Jerry if your in the above situation and you dont know how much fuel you have left and relying on a light to tell you when you need to refuel... Seems unrealistic to me unless you stumble through life with no planning or forethought.  ??? 

Why are you so eager to bash folks who expect their Harley to actually work properly?  If you are happy letting Milwaukee bend you over, so be it.  That doesn't mean everyone else should follow your lead.  In the real world, as opposed to the world of Harley, fuel gauges are calibrated to be slightly pessimistic (read slightly lower than reality at the low end).  Doing it the other way is a problem.  Why let Harley do it to you? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skullplant

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE Road Glide CVO-Red Pepper
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »

Why are you so eager to bash folks who expect their Harley to actually work properly?  If you are happy letting Milwaukee bend you over, so be it.  That doesn't mean everyone else should follow your lead.  In the real world, as opposed to the world of Harley, fuel gauges are calibrated to be slightly pessimistic (read slightly lower than reality at the low end).  Doing it the other way is a problem.  Why let Harley do it to you? 

Jerry

Agreed!! That being said, has anyone ever brought a fuel gauge problem to the MOCO and actually had someone do something about it? I've had fuel gauge inaccuracies a number of times. Always get the same old "they're all like that". Maybe I'm not persistent enough, but I've always grown tired of waiting for answers and just dealt with it.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »

You pay through the nose for add ons like low fuel lights, the biggest problem I see is folks who don't stand up and say "your stuff is crap, make sure it works or don't charge me extra for it!"...

Wouldn't you complain about your Big Mac if it was missing the "special sauce" or if it was not up to par?

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »

Most likely if you are interested in improving the product the complains need to go to customer service at the corporate level.  The dealer is measured on sales and revenue not being our ambassadors.  I know that they represent the MOCO but bottom line comes first.  They didn't engineer the products.  They have to live with it and service it even though they don't have answers that make us happy.  I'm not defending the dealerships it's just the real world. JMO
Do it now!

kb1

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

This is obviously a defect and needs to be recalled mine did exactly the same

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 04:26:46 AM »

Do we really expect a recall? I doubt it.

Yes I would love a perfect fuel gauge but in this case my concern is people relying on a gauge before having any thought that they made need fuel in the next XXXkms/miles. What did we do in the ole days before fuel gauges...
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

clembo

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
Faulty gas gauge
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 05:47:54 AM »

My gas gauge showed two bars - half full. As I rode out of my driveway and down the road the bike started to sputter. I stopped and made it back home. Tank was dry. :o

I guess I should have tracked the miles per tank, but I trust the gauges on new bikes and don't do that anymore.

I am taking the bike in tonight for pipes and a tuner, I'll have them look at it. Has anyone else had a problem?

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Faulty gas gauge
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »

I think the last bar is nothing.  When I get to 2 bars, I usually just fill up. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Faulty gas gauge
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »

My gas gauge showed two bars - half full. As I rode out of my driveway and down the road the bike started to sputter. I stopped and made it back home. Tank was dry. :o

I guess I should have tracked the miles per tank, but I trust the gauges on new bikes and don't do that anymore.

I am taking the bike in tonight for pipes and a tuner, I'll have them look at it. Has anyone else had a problem?
I merged your thread w/an existing thread regarding this issue you may want to read the previous posts concerning this topic.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »

I'm not sure they make one for the Breakout, but I put Dakota Digital gauges on my FLHXSE3 and after calibration, the fuel gauge is dead on accurate.  The stock gauge was off by more than a gallon and hard to see to boot.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »

Mine seems to be spot on.  I only know this because of some miscalculations on solo rides on unknown roads.  I found myself 12 miles into the last bar, trip computer saying only 25 miles left and I put 4.25 gal in the tank.  This is my first motorcycle with a gauge and still won't rely on it completely. 
2013 FXSBSE Black Diamond Molten Silver, VH Shortshot Staggered pipes, Power Vision tuner, Shotgun Shock,  Todd's 10" apes

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
  • Breakout and say no to baggers.
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2013, 12:29:24 AM »

My warning light comes on with about 30 or so miles left on the range...depending on how much fuel the bike is consuming at the time due to load and speed. I've had a theory beaten into me from my military days: Always top off when fuel is made available.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 20 queries.