Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What P/N Detachable Two Up Rack Do I Use To Mount A Tour Pak on my 2012 FLHXSE3?  (Read 1986 times)

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3

I ordered and received my color matched dark slate/black diamond CVO tour pak (chopped) but the quick detach rack Surdyke recommended and sold me P/N 53276-09A is too narrow to attach to the same quick detach mounting points on the bike (the mounting points that the stock sissy bar mounts to). Which rack do I need?
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3

I ordered and received my color matched dark slate/black diamond CVO tour pak (chopped) but the quick detach rack Surdyke recommended and sold me P/N 53276-09A is too narrow to attach to the same quick detach mounting points on the bike (the mounting points that the stock sissy bar mounts to). Which rack do I need?
I have a 12 FLHXSE3 as well with color matched tour pak and 4 point docking kit. My backrest fits like crap have to pull both bars apart to get it to fit?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

Is the part number of your 4 point docking kit 54205-9?  I think that is what I need...I originally thought the tour pak would mount to the factory docking kit that the sissy bar mounts to but I guess not.
Current Stable:
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

Is the part number of your 4 point docking kit 54205-9?  I think that is what I need...I originally thought the tour pak would mount to the factory docking kit that the sissy bar mounts to but I guess not.
My tour pak mounts to the same docking kit... The pak mounts to all 4 points on the docking kit. The front of the quick detach for the tour pak mounts to the chrome spacers on the front 2 positions on the 4 point docking kit. The issue I have is when I attach my backrest with tour pak off to the front 2 points where the shocks are, the back 2 points ( where the tour pak front 2 points mount ) are way too tight. I think I can fix it by taking and grinding the chrome spacers located on that point to the shop. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:59:39 PM by Jswerve »

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

stevehd

• Full CVO Member

I have the four point docking hardware (54205-09) on my 2012 FLHXSE3.  I have used the stock sissy barand the standard height sissy bar, detachable solo and two up luggage racks, and the tour pak with the solo and two up mounts.  Lubricating the mounting points helps getting the different pieces to fit on the docking hardware but I still need to pull the sides to get them to lock on.  The part number that you listed for the two up tour pak mounting kit is the same one that I have.

2012 Ruby Red and Typhoon Maroon FLHXSE-3
2014 Black Fxsb
2006 Big Dog Mastiff
1992 Yamaha FL-1200

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

Thanks guys, I bought one (54205-09) yesterday and put it on.  The two-up rack for the tour pak goes on with no problem but the stock SESG sissy bar.....forget about it, it won't go on because it (sissy bar) is too wide at both the front and back mounting points to fit on the 54205-09 docking kit.  Is there a sissy bar off another bike like an Ultra that is a little bit narrower than the SESG and would fit like it's supposed to without damaging something by trying to force the stock SESG sissy bar into place?
Current Stable:
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG

it should fit fine.  are you sure you are attaching it at the correct point as there are multiple sites.  If i recall correctly, the forward part of the sissy bar attaches to the black ring on the same attach point on the shocks and not the 4 point attach point.  Then the back of the sissy bar attaches to the forward of the 4 point dock.  Make sense?  I just went out and looked at my bike, same as yours and thats how it works.

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member

I had the same problem at first then I took a look and noticed that I was using the wrong mounting points. Everything fits like a glove

dd
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

You guys are absolutely right I was using the wrong mounting points, not the original front mounts by the shocks.  It does look like I'll have to have my machinist mill off some material from the chrome bushings to shorten them length wise for the quick detach sissy bar to fit correctly onto the 4 point mounting dock.  The left side is pretty close but the right sight looks to be about 1/4 " off.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:32:24 PM by FLY-DOG »
Current Stable:
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

You guys are absolutely right I was using the wrong mounting points, not the original front mounts by the shocks.  It does look like I'll have to have my machinist mill off some material from the chrome bushings to shorten them length wise for the quick detach to fit correctly onto the 4 point mounting dock.  The left side is pretty close but the right sight looks to be about 1/4 " off.
Yeah I am going to do this tomorrow. Ridiculous that it comes to this after paying over 30k for a bike but I have seen other ppl have trouble.  :nixweiss:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

You guys are absolutely right I was using the wrong mounting points, not the original front mounts by the shocks.  It does look like I'll have to have my machinist mill off some material from the chrome bushings to shorten them length wise for the quick detach sissy bar to fit correctly onto the 4 point mounting dock.  The left side is pretty close but the right sight looks to be about 1/4 " off.
Took the chrome spacers to work and machined .080 off each one fits perfect now.

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61

Took the chrome spacers to work and machined .080 off each one fits perfect now.

:2vrolijk_21:
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.