Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heated Grips on 2013 RK CVO  (Read 3898 times)

roundincircles

Heated Grips on 2013 RK CVO
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:47:09 AM »

Hi guys and girls

I take delivery of my first HD in April 2013 here in the UK and noticed it is kitted out with fancy chrome/rubber grips. I need to change these to heated grips which are in the HD catalogue in the same style. Question is.....do I have to junk the stylish supplied grip and replace or is there an adaptive kit......the wire all go inside the bars as the bike is supplied and I would like to keep that feature.

Any insight appreciated

RayK

Re: Heated Grips on 2013 RK CVO
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:21:40 AM »

Check out Heat Demons, the heating elements are mounted inside the handlebar and a controller is mounted on right or left side of the bars, you can use your original grips after install.

roundincircles

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »

Thanks for that tip/steer

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:13:02 PM »

The grips on the 2013 CVO Ultra Classic are heated and exactly like the stock Grips on your 2013 CVO Road King.

I know as a bud has the Ultra and I have the King.  His heated grips are nice, very warm on 1 unlike years past were they were not.

I am thinking off adding the 13 CVO ultra heated grips to my King
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »

I agree with Ray...

With Heat Demons you can use almost any grip and that way no need to buy new grips and everything will still match.

http://www.heatdemons.com/Harley-Davidson-Grip-Warmers_c_93.html

After having these installed on my wife's Ultra the service guys at my local dealer couldn't believe how much better they worked over the H-D brand.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »

The grips on the 2013 CVO Ultra Classic are heated and exactly like the stock Grips on your 2013 CVO Road King.

I know as a bud has the Ultra and I have the King.  His heated grips are nice, very warm on 1 unlike years past were they were not.

I am thinking off adding the 13 CVO ultra heated grips to my King

I did it to my RG so a RK should be no problem and yes they are nice and tosty! :bananarock: :bananarock:
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

tincup64

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:10:45 PM »

i had them added to my bike upon delivery.  they are the 2013 cvo grips.  expensive, but necessary as the ones in the catalog are for external wiring.  mine are internal.

tin

Glynn

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 08:31:04 AM »

I'm slowly losing the will to live here........... Trying to install the heat demons on my 08 Ultra... everything is in bits, now I just need to remove the throttle sensor from the handlebars.

Am I correct in thinking that there is a connector somewhere inside the handlebars? I've pulled the sensor out of the bars and around 3 inches of wiring is showing, but it aint moving anymore and I can't see any connection down the bars.

If there is a connector down there then its surely stuck on a bend, and I'm not wanting to go any further for fear of breaking anything. (The dealer can do it! It'll be worth however much they charge!)

Or does the wiring somehow unclip from the sensor?

Glynn
2008 Electra Glide FLHTCUSE3

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »

I'm slowly losing the will to live here........... Trying to install the heat demons on my 08 Ultra... everything is in bits, now I just need to remove the throttle sensor from the handlebars.

Am I correct in thinking that there is a connector somewhere inside the handlebars? I've pulled the sensor out of the bars and around 3 inches of wiring is showing, but it aint moving anymore and I can't see any connection down the bars.

If there is a connector down there then its surely stuck on a bend, and I'm not wanting to go any further for fear of breaking anything. (The dealer can do it! It'll be worth however much they charge!)

Glynn

Follow the directions with the heat demons, they include a slick plastic snake to run through the handlebars. There is a connector where the throttle wires exit the bars at the fork clamps, disconnect it there and pull the wires out the end. Use the snake to pull everything back through the bars, the wires from the demons go through to the left side, the throttle wires exit to the center of the bars and re-connect to the harness.
I've installed a few demons, just take your time and it should go smooth.
 8)
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »

Glynn

BTW, the connector should be behind the fairing, right side, clipped to a post. Easier if you take the outer fairing off.
 8)
HOGMIKE

Glynn

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 03:12:16 PM »

Brilliant ! Thank you!

I already have the front of the fairing off. And had already unclipped the wiring... I was looking for another connector inside the bars...  It makes sense now...

Back into the garage for me tonight.....

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »

The great thing about the Heat Demons is, unlike the expensive HD versions, they continue to work over time.  With the HD grips, eventual failure seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

BTW...the HD heated grips shown in the catalog that says they can't be run internally?  Those are the exact same grips that they put on the CVO bikes that come with heated grips, and they obviously run them internally.  Same grips...perhaps that is why they fail eventually...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Glynn

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »

My local dealer didn't know why the original ones fail... but fail they did!

Not got around to fitting them yet...

Glynn

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 24 queries.