Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warranty Extended Service Plan  (Read 535 times)

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
Warranty Extended Service Plan
« on: December 10, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »

Will most dearlers service my motor under the Extended Service Plan if i have a Screamin eagle tuner on my bike, like if the motor blows up will they repair it  Thinking about buying the service plan .
bobby

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Warranty Extended Service Plan
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »

Will most dearlers service my motor under the Extended Service Plan if i have a Screamin eagle tuner on my bike, like if the motor blows up will they repair it  Thinking about buying the service plan .

Well...that's difficult to answer with 100% certainty.  The vast majority of people I've know here that had issues under the ESP got them fixed without a problem.  To SOME extent, it depends on the dealer and how/what they report to the ESP provider (it's insurance, not a factory warranty).  I would say that if you haven't done anything but add an exhaust system, a tuner, and at MOST, a mild cam, you will likely not have a problem with repair work on the engine.  You'd probably be 100% safe with just a tuner and exhaust.  Cams add a degree of uncertainty, particularly if a HD dealer did not do the work. If you add a trailer hitch to the bike...again, depending on the dealer...the ESP can deny coverage to the drive train, as the policy clearly states it will void the plan.  In other words, the more you modify it from stock, or what MOST people do (tune and exhaust), the more likely you are to have some difficulty.

Saying all that, I have the additional 5 years, plus tire and wheel coverage on my 2011 SERG.  All I've done is the exhaust and the TTS tuner, and I COULD put it back to stock in a couple of hours if push came to shove locally.  If I was in BFE USA, I'd be at the mercy of the nearest dealer, or pay to have it transported back home so I might better cover my ass.

It's insurance, so you hope you'll never need it, but...The way I look at it is that the tire and wheel is worth it basically if you lose a rear tire, as you'll about break even.  If the radio goes out, or other associated electronics, it would come close to paying the bike coverage.  If I wipe out the motor due to bad lifters or cam bearings, I might have a different situation on my hands, but I'm betting I would come out on the winning side.  But I could get hosed...it's a calculated risk.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »

Pretty good info above. I will add that my dealer said if I ever have something happen that the moco would not cover, my dealer would. Especially where I am buying the bike from him and having the mods done by him

Now those are just words and who knows what may happen when push comes to shove. Hopefully we'll never have to find out
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »

Is it possible to add an extended warranty (insurance) to a bike purchased from an individual after the factory warranty has expired? 

Yes.  There are some restrictions though, so you'd have to check with the ESP provider or your HD dealership.  Depends on the age of the bike, how many miles, how far out of the factory warranty the bike is, etc.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 06:24:34 PM »

Yes.  There are some restrictions though, so you'd have to check with the ESP provider or your HD dealership.  Depends on the age of the bike, how many miles, how far out of the factory warranty the bike is, etc.

Bike has to be less than 12 years old and have less than 70,000 miles on it

-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.