Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Charleston, SC | And Now For Something Different  (Read 9090 times)

ultrarider123

Re: Charleston, SC | And Now For Something Different
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »

Jock, those are some great pictures.  When you took the picture at Middleton Plantation, you were about 5 miles from my Pop's place in Summerville, SC.  Been to Patriot Point many times and those pics at the Yorktown brought back many memories of my dad and going out there.  Looks like they have added a few more planes since I was out there last.  By the way, did you also go through the Vietnam camp re-inactment just off the parking lot?  Interesting display.  I spent part of the Summer of '82 in the Summerville area and while Pop was at work, I drove all over the Charleston area.  Put almost 1,500 miles on the Valiant there that Summer.  Lots of great history to see there.  Every time I go back, I am amazed at the History.  Again, thanks for sharing and bring back some great memories.

May I also suggest that the next time you go out to Mt. Pleasant, go on out to the Isle of Palms and visit Ft. Moultrie.  Most folks go to Ft. Sumter and leave out the Ft. Moultrie visit.  Well worth the trip.  Also, the old Charleston Navy yard is now mostly private facilities and one of these buildings houses the Hunley which is another "must see" in the area.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »

Awesome!   Thanks for sharing.
I enjoy my freedom,  so Thanks Veterans! :2vrolijk_21:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »

Being the old man I am, on several occasions I rode the old Copper River bridge when it was 2 lane. Meet a 18 wheeler on the big hill in the curve and it was white knuckle as I have never experienced anywhere else. Would almost take your breath!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

ultrarider123

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »

Being the old man I am, on several occasions I rode the old Copper River bridge when it was 2 lane. Meet a 18 wheeler on the big hill in the curve and it was white knuckle as I have never experienced anywhere else. Would almost take your breath!!!

X2.  That Cooper river bridge was a booger.  Trivia time:  They filmed the "Dodge truck/winch down to the barge" scene with Bruce Willis and Samual Jackson from Die Hard 3 from that old bridge. 

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »

The old bridge was truly an adventure to drive when it was 2 way traffic. Then they  added the second bridge with a reversible lane. The new bridge , called by some The Double Diamonds, is really a pleasure to cross.
Back when I was flying, I flew under the old bridges and buzzed the Yorktown. My flight instructor heard about
this antic before I got back to the airport. No one got the tail numbers so I escaped real trouble. ::)
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »

Jock,
Thanks for showing/sharing my home area. Pictures # 2 & 3 were taken 2 mile from my house.
Did you enjoy the Medal Of Honor Museum on the Yorktown? That alone is worth the trip.
Hope the next time you head up this way, you give out a shout and at least say hello.
Mike

A very moving exhibit and another reason why I wish I had more time there...Good News!...I live so close I plan to go back this summer.

I owe you a call and a beverage too!

:2vrolijk_21:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »

Jock, those are some great pictures.  When you took the picture at Middleton Plantation, you were about 5 miles from my Pop's place in Summerville, SC.  Been to Patriot Point many times and those pics at the Yorktown brought back many memories of my dad and going out there.  Looks like they have added a few more planes since I was out there last.  By the way, did you also go through the Vietnam camp re-inactment just off the parking lot?  Interesting display.  I spent part of the Summer of '82 in the Summerville area and while Pop was at work, I drove all over the Charleston area.  Put almost 1,500 miles on the Valiant there that Summer.  Lots of great history to see there.  Every time I go back, I am amazed at the History.  Again, thanks for sharing and bring back some great memories.

May I also suggest that the next time you go out to Mt. Pleasant, go on out to the Isle of Palms and visit Ft. Moultrie.  Most folks go to Ft. Sumter and leave out the Ft. Moultrie visit.  Well worth the trip.  Also, the old Charleston Navy yard is now mostly private facilities and one of these buildings houses the Hunley which is another "must see" in the area.

Winner!  I have a customer at the Navy Yard and I need to photograph the Hunley one day...along with.......never ends....Thanks

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2013, 08:40:07 PM »

Jock, fantastic pics, love the history lesson. Will have to add Charleston,SC to our destination list.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2013, 08:50:57 PM »

'almost'?  Try middle of the night in a full-blown squall on a knuckle chopper returning from Daytona......I literally stopped to kiss the ground when I could identify a safe place to pull off with that great chopper headlight.   :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ultrarider123

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »

'almost'?  Try middle of the night in a full-blown squall on a knuckle chopper returning from Daytona......I literally stopped to kiss the ground when I could identify a safe place to pull off with that great chopper headlight.   :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: spyder

I believe we have a winner for the old Cooper river bridge stories.  Read that quote a few times Spyder and get the cold chills every time.  :o

Jock, you are right.  Just so much to see.  Ever been to Savanna, GA?  And you thought Charleston had alot of history/things to see.... :2vrolijk_21:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »

I believe we have a winner for the old Cooper river bridge stories.  Read that quote a few times Spyder and get the cold chills every time.  :o

Jock, you are right.  Just so much to see.  Ever been to Savanna, GA?  And you thought Charleston had alot of history/things to see.... :2vrolijk_21:

Jock, you want to tell him?
Mike

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

ultrarider123

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2013, 07:21:08 AM »

Jock, you want to tell him?
Mike

Take that as a yes....figured y'all had, just asking..... ;D :2vrolijk_21:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2013, 02:55:53 AM »

'Was very fortunate to grow up in Charleston.
One summer night of the full moon in the late '70s we were partying near the Old Sullivan's Island Bridge watching a thunder storm come across the Peninsula City from the Ashley River area. We were having a good time enjoying the light show but, when the storm reached the harbor, we decided to head home to the West Ashley area.
I was on my '76 Sporty and my buddy was on his Panhead Chopper. Going across the Old Cooper River Bridge, riding into the storm, when we reached the summit of the Town Creek Span (the one nearest to the city) one Hellacious Bolt of Lightning struck the superstructure of the bridge, engulfing us in a flash of bright yellow light and making a "buzzing" sound in our heads!!! No $hit!!! We both had crimp marks on our seats when we got back to my place and had some milk and cookies.

One of the many rides across The Old Cooper River Bridge that I will never forget.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2013, 07:40:37 AM »

'Was very fortunate to grow up in Charleston.
One summer night of the full moon in the late '70s we were partying near the Old Sullivan's Island Bridge watching a thunder storm come across the Peninsula City from the Ashley River area. We were having a good time enjoying the light show but, when the storm reached the harbor, we decided to head home to the West Ashley area.
I was on my '76 Sporty and my buddy was on his Panhead Chopper. Going across the Old Cooper River Bridge, riding into the storm, when we reached the summit of the Town Creek Span (the one nearest to the city) one Hellacious Bolt of Lightning struck the superstructure of the bridge, engulfing us in a flash of bright yellow light and making a "buzzing" sound in our heads!!! No $hit!!! We both had crimp marks on our seats when we got back to my place and had some milk and cookies.

One of the many rides across The Old Cooper River Bridge that I will never forget.

That one will be hard to top!!! I have rode all over this wonderful country and have never experienced anything like the old 2 lane. PCH, Beartooth, Goint to Sun........all great, but that bridge was in a class by itself. Wish it was still there.

Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.