Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Time in shop for major repairs; top end or bottom end rebuild or full rebuild.  (Read 6377 times)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool

What's best a new engine w/different VIN or remanufacturing my engine?  I would rather have a numbers matching bike. Or does that really matter very much regarding resell value later.

The next question I'll ask, if they are sending a new engine, will be ... Can I keep my old engine.  Because new engines don't require a core to be sent in.

At this point I would take the new engine over the reman of the old - if that is what's happening - Your existing cases are potentially worn beyond economical repair, or any repair for that matter. As far as a "numbers matching" bike I personally wouldn't worry to much about it affecting resale.

If the dealer and the rep determined your engine is going to be replaced with new because it can't or shouldn't be repaired I think the factory can stamp the new engine with your VIN - which makes your question about keeping it mute because the old engine would have to go back to HD to get destroyed due to the VIN issue. But it seems like your deal with them is contingent on giving them the old engine as a "core exchange" regardless of whether they give you a new engine or reman the old one - otherwise why have you go through all the trouble (and expense) of putting all the stock parts back on.

Me, I would let them have the old boat anchor, because A) I don't have a boat, and B) I have enough projects around here to keep me busy..

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

turbo357

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2

should be getting my Motorcycle back soon.  Receiving a correct TC95 Remanufactured Engine from HD in near stock form. They said the heads are upgraded because they no longer have the Screaming Eagle labeled heads.  I was told this engine has my VIN.
Target completion date for installing and reassembling the bike was last weekend with a delivery date of last Monday (Oct. 14, 2013). They missed that date already, But they're trying. Also, the service writer who started this process is no longer working there.  He never gave me updates or call backs anyway.
95 inch 10.5:1 compression pistons (manual compression releases)
SE HTCC Heads
SE 257 cams
48mm tb from Speeds Performance plus
Arlen Ness Big-sucker air filter
RevTech close ratio 6 speed (@3100rpm at 70mph in 6th)
Vance&Hines Pro-Pipe
104hp/98tq

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv

what a nightmare ! I have a friend in Ok. who went thru the same. had engine work done, rode it to Va & motor went out. Va dealer couldn't do work under warr. had to load & haul bike back to Ok. they re- did engine again. friend came back to Va (1200 mi.) & it failed again. He traded it in. Ok dealer won't get any more of that business. I hope my dealer never puts me thru that. I'ld have an attorney all over it with copies of all work. with all said, do you have your bike back. how satisfied are you so far? I wouldn't want old motor with cases worn & all the shavings in nooks & cranny's. Keep us posted. All I'll ever stop at ft smith for would be a poker chip & they'ld probably be too high & incompetent on that.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

turbo357

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2

Yes it's been a real nightmare.  I got it back Saturday and within 5 minutes I had to take it back because the tech didn't connect the cruise control cable.
Besides that, I'm happy with the way it runs. The power seems pretty strong too.

I am happy that the VIN matches too.

They are removing the performance parts from my old engine and replacing with stock parts that I supplied them. They should be finished with that soon and I will go pick them up. 
95 inch 10.5:1 compression pistons (manual compression releases)
SE HTCC Heads
SE 257 cams
48mm tb from Speeds Performance plus
Arlen Ness Big-sucker air filter
RevTech close ratio 6 speed (@3100rpm at 70mph in 6th)
Vance&Hines Pro-Pipe
104hp/98tq

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool

Glad you're finally back on the road. hopefully you can get some miles on it before the weather really turns towards winter.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.