Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Appliance recommendations please  (Read 2837 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Appliance recommendations please
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »

nope, not an installation issue, that is the way they are.......

and far as Maytag.....forget about it.......

KICHENAID, WHIRLPOOL, MAYTAG, JENN AIR, AMANA ARE ALL MANUFACTURED BY WHIRLPOOL.    I LOVE WHEN PEOPLE WOULD SAY THEY HATE A KITCHENAID AND TURN AROUND AND BUY A WHIRLPOOL.

Apples and oranges.  Because they're both owned by the same company doesn't mean they're manufactured the same.  Two entirely different products.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »

Different nameplates denote some differences.  But there is commonly a large interchangeability of parts between units sharing the same family tree.  Regularly see huge similarities between otherwise differently brand-named equipment working on the stuff in the rental houses.  Since Jeff actually knows/sells/lives appliances for a living I just bookmarked this thread to take advantage of his knowledge.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 10:57:55 AM »

Apples and oranges.  Because they're both owned by the same company doesn't mean they're manufactured the same.  Two entirely different products.

Yes and no JC. When or GE dryer had to be replaced, we got a Whirlpool. When it needed repairing (3x already), I noticed that except for a few differences on the control panel (knobs instead of buttons), it was EXACTLY the same as our old GE. The lint trap was in the same spot, everything. Almost like Ford / Mercury products. So in this manner, I know what Keats means.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »

We renovated our kitchen back in 2000 and installed a Miele dishwasher... Super quiet and still running today without any concerns.
Miele is the only one I will ever buy again, if I ever have to???
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »

Apples and oranges.  Because they're both owned by the same company doesn't mean they're manufactured the same.  Two entirely different products.

JCZ, you are right in the respect that they are not exactly the same, but with the economy of scale many parts are shared between the lines. (pumps, motors, valves and controls)

now having said that, everyone wants the short answer to complex questions, like who makes the best.  There usually is no right answer.

Whirlpool Brands make at least 4 different platforms of dishwashers, GE makes at least 5 different platforms.

Bosch makes 3 different platforms.

So unless you are really schooled in this (which is rare) most would not even ask the right questions.  

Now the real economy to the situation is most users see what? 3 to 10 dishwashers in their lifetime of use and only have hands on experience with those few.

So not to offend anyone on purpose, their opinions are based on small samples.

Now here is the salesman's rub,

I am happy to post my opinions which are more based on feedback from customers over 1000's of dishwashers, I have just one criteria that is most important to me. (it use to be make money)

Sell the ones that give me the least amount of aggravation (self preservation). They all break and give aggravation.

So why not just sell Miele then, well they can give me a whole new set of trouble.

First they break also and they are held to a much higher standard just because they cost 4 times as much as an average d/w does and when your $1600. dishwasher no longer gives you clean dishes, you would think the world is about to end. ( just a different customer demo, much like CVO)

Customers are just more demanding as the price goes up.  

Now most do not really know the dishwasher/appliance market, but do you really think a CVO is better just because you paid $10,000.00 more for it?

I am biased in my opinions and that is what most people want.
Nobody wants to hear that all dishwashers are the same and it does not matter, that it is untrue,
 but for those wanting to spend $300.00 they want to hear that.

I dislike a lot of Whirlpool products (not all by far), not because they are all bad,
but I have developed a bias on several criteria like,
how many break,
do people like their choice after using,
how does the company treat me and my customers,
do they meet customer expectations,
do they perform well
do I have a chance to make money

The economy of me spending an hour with someone on the sales floor to make 30 - 90 net is not a good business model.

but we sell a lot of them which saves us.

I hope this long read helps in understanding, I could not afford going through this diatribe on the sales floor, nor would it help.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:18:54 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »

Yes and no JC. When or GE dryer had to be replaced, we got a Whirlpool. When it needed repairing (3x already), I noticed that except for a few differences on the control panel (knobs instead of buttons), it was EXACTLY the same as our old GE. The lint trap was in the same spot, everything. Almost like Ford / Mercury products. So in this manner, I know what Keats means.

you must be mixing up names here, GE and Whirlpool have no parts in common, But the dryers of Amana, Roper, Estate, Whirlpool, Maytag and some Kenmore all share platforms and parts.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 01:32:45 PM »

My post count zoomed this week.................

post whore

I have been in this business 42 years, started when I was 13.

Formally FLHTCUSE3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »

Jeff, I've always wondered but never knew who to ask; if I go to a 6" front and lower the rear will it effect the handling on a roll around portable dishwasher?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

My post count zoomed this week.................

post whore

I have been in this business 42 years, started when I was 13.

They have a place reserved for you at the local museum.....said you're late. :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »

And........   since we've lost the phosphates is a synthetic better or should I stay with a dino/organic detergent?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »

Mrs. R and I used to be in the appliance business, selling and repairs. Kitchenaide and Maytag were always known as the ones that lasted the longest. Whirlpool and Kenmore machines were the most reasonable and easy to get parts for when needed. Our old store had been in the business since the 30's and my father had been there for 25 years. We closed it down when Walmart moved in to Hood River.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »

Jeff, I've always wondered but never knew who to ask; if I go to a 6" front and lower the rear will it effect the handling on a roll around portable dishwasher?

As long as you get a new V&H cord and reprogram the sanitize cycle, you will be good to go

There are some aftermarket companies selling improved suspension parts with agitator wheels

Formally FLHTCUSE3

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »

Mrs. R and I used to be in the appliance business, selling and repairs. Kitchenaide and Maytag were always known as the ones that lasted the longest. Whirlpool and Kenmore machines were the most reasonable and easy to get parts for when needed. Our old store had been in the business since the 30's and my father had been there for 25 years. We closed it down when Walmart moved in to Hood River.

Back in the day Appliance Dealers had maybe 1 brand or 2.  We grew up as a GE and Philco dealer.
Life was simpler then, We took on Whirlpool and Maytag about 34 years ago.
Maytag made some of the most durable products at that time.

Things change, big box stores changed the nature of doing business and profit structure changed.
(A very low margin retail business, typically 10 - 20 points but usually 15)

We survived in an area the had 5 independents, GE us, Hotpoint, Whirlpool, Norge, Kelvinator, Philco, Maytag covered most brands.

Appliance manufacturers were aligned to automobile business, except Whirlpool who was aligned with Sears.
And GE to no one.
Philco was Ford
Frigidaire was GM
Norge/Kelvinator to AMC
International Harvester had their own brand.

Now we survive because we formed a huge Coop that covers Maine to Virginia and has over 1500 dealers.
At least our pricing is comparative to the biggest of retailers and we have access to inventory.
In the 70's to the 90's scores of small dealers went out of business and in the mid west and west almost all have disappeared. Some small dealers became local small chains.

Maytag made some bad mistakes in the late 90's and it cost them the company, had to sell to Whirlpool.
Whirlpool got brand names Jenn Air, Maytag, Magic Chef, Admiral, Hardwick and Amana.

Whirlpool obtained Kitchenaid from Hobart in the mid 80's.

Whirlpool was an easy brand to sell, recognize able and reliable and affordable.

Now the Korean's ,like Samsung ang LG are common and the Japanese companies have disappeared.

There is a huge initiative to bring back appliance manufacturing back to the US.

Appliance Park in Louisville KY is coming back alive (GE).

Other companies like Whirlpool are moving manufacturing back.

I Hope this was not to boring

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:24:03 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »

As long as you get a new V&H cord and reprogram the sanitize cycle, you will be good to go

There are some aftermarket companies selling improved suspension parts with agitator wheels

Agitator....  you had to mention agitator....  Ok, on a washer with the old fashioned vertical agitator how much can I change the rake without negatively impacting either the handling or the rinse :nixweiss: ?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »

Agitator....  you had to mention agitator....  Ok, on a washer with the old fashioned vertical agitator how much can I change the rake without negatively impacting either the handling or the rinse :nixweiss: ?
None unless you don't mind your washer jumpin around like it is in a mosh pit :huepfenlol2:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 20 queries.