Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Overheating problems?  (Read 5190 times)

Torque

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Overheating problems?
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:35:12 PM »

Just bought an '07 SE Ultra Classic...ran hot in traffic upon initial purchase, thought Rineharts and a tuner would help but still seems to run extremely hot in any traffic, ran to Vegas last weekend and unit was in limp mode after sitting in traffic for only 20 minutes. Dealer says "haven't heard of problems"...anyone experience the same?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Overheating problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 10:32:02 PM »

Welcome to the site Torque, you found a great bunch with a lot of answers.  I would have thought the Rineharts and your tuner would have cured the lean condition.  What tuner are you using?  What map are you using or was it dyno tuned?  Start reading, someone will help you out.  Also, congrats on the new bike.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 12:16:07 AM »

Welcome to the site Torque, you found a great bunch with a lot of answers.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 07:49:25 AM »

Just bought an '07 SE Ultra Classic...ran hot in traffic upon initial purchase, thought Rineharts and a tuner would help but still seems to run extremely hot in any traffic, ran to Vegas last weekend and unit was in limp mode after sitting in traffic for only 20 minutes. Dealer says "haven't heard of problems"...anyone experience the same?

A new bike and sitting in traffic for 20 minutes?  Good combo for a HD to get hot.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 08:39:23 AM »

Welcome to the site.  don't have the answer to your question but someone will.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

SE_ULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
  • CAUTION: Extreamly shinny. WEAR EYE PROTECTION
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 09:20:35 AM »

Welcome to the site. My guess is that you need more chrome to keep it cool.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Seriously, this happened to me once when the bike was pretty new. It was when I was on the way to the dealer for a service. After the regular service, oil change and all, it ran fine and never a problem since.
2006 FLHTCUSE
TrueDuals, 6-Speed, Stage-1, Race Tuner, High Flow
...and a shiny little bell

twincam

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 09:58:23 AM »

welcome to the best place to find answers and spend money ;Dwhere did you get your bike? and where are you from?

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 10:31:42 AM »

Welcome to the site. I am new here myself but these folks have a LOT of good information and experience to go with it. My opinion is that the bike is new, the leg fairings do not help with the heat in warmer months. As long as you get the right code/program for your race tuner (or whatever device you have) you should be fine AFTER some break in and fresh SYNTHETIC in your new ride. I use SYN3 (Harleys oil) in all three on my bike (trans, engine and primary) but I have a stock 88ci with almost 10,000 miles on it and mine runs fine. (I am waiting on my SE ultra to come in)

When I first bought my bike in Septemebr of 2005 I rode it home from the dealer and parked it. The next morning we met with some friends and rode over to a dealer in another town. By the time I got back home I thought I was going to pass out (probably 100 miles round trip). The next morning I removed the leg fairings and have not put them back on since. After some miles (about 1,000) and my 1000 mile service things were fine. Hope this helps.

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 10:32:06 AM »

This link might help. http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1156347736, and welcome to the site.

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 11:44:36 AM »

This link might help.[highlight] http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1156347736[/highlight], and welcome to the site.
The above link takes you to a technical service bulletin regarding the engine idle temperature management system. If you read the entire bulletin, you will see that the temperature management system is NOT activivated on the '07 SE Ultras from the factory. You have to have the system activated by your dealer (one free activation and one free deactivation under warranty are allowed). When I had my SERT installed (calibration #84) at 500 miles (along w/ V&H slip ons and Stage I A/C) I asked my dealer to activate the idle temp management system. He told me that the computer program would not allow him to activate the temp management system with the SERT.  So mine is still inactive, but I don't do a lot of stop and go driving.

The 110 engines do put out a lot of heat. I do agree that idling for 20 minutes in hot weather would probably overheat most harley engines.
If opening your lower fairing vents doesn't help, you might consider  removing the lower fairings in hot weather and even kill the engine if you will be idling for long periods in one spot then restart when you start moving again. This is probably not the answer you want but these engines need a lot of airflow to keep them cool and stop and go traffic jams are not their forte (strength).
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

Torque

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 05:30:44 PM »

Thanks to all of you for the welcome and excellent insight on my overheating problem. Great feedback, puts my mind at ease BIG TIME.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 05:43:39 PM »

Just bought an '07 SE Ultra Classic...ran hot in traffic upon initial purchase, thought Rineharts and a tuner would help but still seems to run extremely hot in any traffic, ran to Vegas last weekend and [highlight]unit was in limp mode after sitting in traffic for only 20 minutes[/highlight]. Dealer says "haven't heard of problems"...anyone experience the same?

Sounds to me like the Heat Management System is indeed activated as the rear cylinder shuts down if these three things occur:

1. Engine reaches 300 plus
2. Is at Idle
3. Bike is not moving

Flying Ace

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA#10357

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTKSE
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »

Just bought an '07 SE Ultra Classic...ran hot in traffic upon initial purchase, thought Rineharts and a tuner would help but still seems to run[highlight] extremely hot in any traffic, ran to Vegas last weekend and unit was in limp mode after sitting in traffic for only 20 minutes[/highlight]. Dealer says "haven't heard of problems"...anyone experience the same?

This pic was while I was sitting in traffic in Vegas in July this year..

Fun stuff.
CVO Limited

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 10:27:50 AM »

I recently experienced simmilar issue but also had lots of "pining".  I purchased one of the new Oil Temp and Level dip sticks and about $hit when I saw the Temp Reading!  Decided to break the law and do a "gutter ball" ride for the remaining 15 miles just to get air over the engine.  On my 06 I believe the heat management will kick in as it started the cylinder skip and it appeared to to "richen up" in an effort to minimize the heat build up.

Scenario: Over 105 degrees in AZ heading out of town when traffic came to a stop and go 5 MPH "parade" from Rye to Payson.  (All uphill and no alternate routes).  I was originally weaving in and out between the cars but some people decided that was not fair and would "close the gap".  Pulled to the side and took the temp reading and decided to take my chances in the "gutter".  Actually I was surprised the shoulder was a good hard asphalt surface as many of our roads just turn into dirt on the shoulders.  Put my flashers on and "cruised" at 25 MPH for the next 15 miles.  Still had some vehicles that "weaved out" to try and cut me off! Had to restrain my self from saluting [smiley=sauer021.gif].
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 10:43:56 AM »

Yea - that oil cooler doesn't help much when no air is going through it...

I know for some of those folks that are often in traffic with their big twins I would suggest the Motor-Co's "Parade Fan" that replaces the horn (don't remember where it is relocated too) with a fan that blows over the jugs or a third party such solution.  [smiley=drink.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.