Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Second thoughts about my new 07 CVO  (Read 2872 times)

silverone

• Full CVO Member
Re: Second thoughts about my new 07 CVO
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »

:-\  A newbie grading the replies......  Some advice.... if you don't want to deal with replies, don't ask the question.  I thought the answer from Ironhorse was a very good one.

Not many of us can afford to do what he suggested these days.

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 12:16:36 AM »

Well the original poster did some good upgrades, like ditching the M&M for a Carb.

And while the engine and transmissions were well built, speaking only for myself based on the experiences with my '01 Ultra, I know there are some other areas of those '01 and older bikes that could use improvements. Having gone through four stators I know the electrical systems are challenged at best. The rear swing arm is the old hollow "box end", where the axle passes through. They have a propensity for cracking all the way through. On my bike I changed out the swing arm, axle, and bushings to the '02 later and used the swing arm pivot axle kit from Howard at motorcycle metal. I also used poly bushings for the swing arm pivot shaft too. Another issue those bikes have is wiring. For a while there HD used some lower quality wire. The copper strands had a tendency to break inside the insulation from heat and flexing. It was difficult to find as the breaks were not visible and with movement came intermittent electrical issues. Common breaking spots were at the injectors caused by heat, engine shaking, and vibration, and along the right side of the frame behind the fairing caused by flexing and road vibrations.

Like the original poster I really liked my '01. However due to age and a whole bunch of these type nagging issues I finally sold it and picked up my '06 CVO Ultra.

Based on all the previous posts and his replies, I'm sure that whatever decision the original poster makes, it will be ideal for him.
Thanks Ironhorse didn't mean to ruffle any cvo feathers :)

silverone

• Full CVO Member
Second thoughts about my new 07 CVO update
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 12:41:45 AM »

Well the dealership must really want to sell this bike they offered to throw a set to of 259 cams as part of the deal but after researching those here and other places with stock heads and stock compression the cams lose torque and gain a minimal amount of Hp on the other hand Ive seen some great numbers with the Kury cams, my question is are those numbers on the 110 motor without head work.  Thanks for putting up with me, this bike is a big purchase for me I'm out of debt on my old ones and really don't want to get into a lot of problems with the used bike, thanks for everyone's advice!  PS can Harley sell the Kuryakyn cams, and maintain an extended warranty just a thought.

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 02:31:06 AM »

Oh by the way, make sure you change to spring time air in the tires. It makes a big difference. 8)
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 24 queries.