Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Indian's new motor Thunder Stroke 111  (Read 11203 times)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Indian's new motor Thunder Stroke 111
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:17 PM »

Any bets on whether they will have problems with their new engine and deny it like the MOCO did with the 110?  I say since it looks to be based on the X-wedge they won't.  It is a little too "smooth-looking" for lack of a better term, kind of like the V-Rod motor is, but put in the right chassis I could see trading for this.  That is if Indian can stay around for more than a few years without changing hands.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

gearida

• Laugh until the light turns green!
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »

Our local dealer, which kind of funny I sold him my old bike and his first bike, is currently building a new store. He is spending millions on the hopes of Indian making a big splash and staying around. I am interested in seeing this go. I was very close to buying a Chief with the Indian motor eight/ten years ago. Just talked to someone yesterday who told me this was a newly designed Polaris motor. Interesting...
Custom built bikes by GearHead Cycles.
2012 CVO Ultra

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »

Well, since Polaris now owns Indian, it has much deeper pockets than it ever had before. So hopefully it will stay around and give the MoCo some real competition with old skool looks and more "modern" technology... if you can even say "modern" with a straight face when describing ANY pushrod V-Twin!

But if the new 2014s with this engine come in at high $30K or even $40K or more MSRP, they will have a pretty tough time selling very many. The pyramid gets pretty friggin' small at those stratospheric price levels... and they are competing directly against CVOs.

Still, if the look is right, and the PAINT is right... Hmmmmm...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »

Well, since Polaris now owns Indian, it has much deeper pockets than it ever had before. So hopefully it will stay around and give the MoCo some real competition with old skool looks and more "modern" technology... if you can even say "modern" with a straight face when describing ANY pushrod V-Twin!

But if the new 2014s with this engine come in at high $30K or even $40K or more MSRP, they will have a pretty tough time selling very many. The pyramid gets pretty friggin' small at those stratospheric price levels... and they are competing directly against CVOs.

Hopefully Polaris's intent isn't to market Indian as a high end niche product just for some special cachet to a narrow market thinking it might somehow widen the base for Victory.  Personally hoping Indian makes it to the street as a name all its own with a wide product range akin to what Victory has grown to.  Hopefully Polaris takes it's Victory learning curve and applies it successfully.

Personally think that engine is brilliant looking.  Speaking just to first impressions from appearance.  It may righteously suck as a powerplant.  But damn it's pretty.  If it works as well as its looks suggest and a bike gets built around that mates modernity in systems with a continued good luck that's something I could easily see finally replacing old Harleys someday.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »

Ken

Bla, bla this and bla bla that about Indians.
If I was going to buy another bike today it would be this one.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=78662.0
Maybe someday Indian can build a bike that nice.
I think you need to raise the price a dollar from 98 to 99 so you can bump it up.
I would but a pm to you doesn't count as a bump.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »

Not speaking out of turn here but I believe that Ken has found a buyer and sold the Tequila, Chip.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »

Not speaking out of turn here but I believe that Ken has found a buyer and sold the Tequila, Chip.

That would be great.
I just checked the thread and it's not listed as sold.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »

Ken

Bla, bla this and bla bla that about Indians.
If I was going to buy another bike today it would be this one.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=78662.0
Maybe someday Indian can build a bike that nice.
I think you need to raise the price a dollar from 98 to 99 so you can bump it up.
I would but a pm to you doesn't count as a bump.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

LOL! That IS very nice bike, huh Chip?  :cherry:

Thanks for the compliment. If I didn't already have the Honey Badger I would keep Tequila, buy a matching Tour Pak for it, and make it my ride. If you've ever seen a Tequila in the sun in person you know how that 24K gold in the topcoat just sparkles!  :sunny:

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »

Thanks for stealing my thunder, Howard!   :jack:

I wasn't going to list it as sold until I actually HAVE the money. I'm supposed to see $7K wire transfer today in my account, and a check for the remaining $20K from the finance company of the buyer on Monday. I talked with the finance company agent yesterday, and he confirmed everything is a go.

I will have to load it in a borrowed trailer and drive to NC on Monday to meet the buyer halfway for delivery.

I am really quite sad to sell it... but unlike Chip I can't afford multiple CVOs!

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 10:11:40 PM »

Well, Indian/Polaris spent a fair amount at Daytona, Mike Wolfe introduced the new motor March 9 in the alley behind Dirty Harry's.  They had the motor in a stand and Mike started it for the audience.  Mike also signed a bunch of autographs and they tossed out a bunch of T-shirts.  Then they rolled out the modern replica of Bert Munroe's worlds fastest Indian which was really neat, right down to the cork as a gas cap. 

Had to use my crappy phone camera for this pic, Mike is shaking hands and signing autographs and the engine is in the background on stage.

Brad

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »

Replica

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »

I love my Harleys...at least when I'm not hating them, which is only on rare occasion and usually due to my doing something wrong in the first place.

I also love and have owned many other brands.  But Indian has always held a special place in my imagination.  Partly because my father had a couple to include a "Straight Four".  

I took a test ride on a 2009 Chief a couple years ago and frankly was not impressed with the ride, handling or power.  It had one of the most beautiful V-twin motors on any modern bike.  And I love the look of the big skirted fenders but the bike is nowhere near as refined as a HD Heritage Softail and is double the price.

I love the flathead look of the new motor and the claimed HP/Tq seem to be on-par with our 110s but I'd like to see a Dyno hp/tq curve.  I'd also like to see the price to come down to where mere mortals might afford one...world-peace would be nice too.  I wish Indian success!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:26:23 AM by Beemer »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.