Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Another Tuner and Pipe Question  (Read 3705 times)

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
Another Tuner and Pipe Question
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »

Looking at the V & H Big Radius 2 into 1 for the Breakout.  This pipe currently only has the 18mm bungs.  It appears that there are a few different ways to go:

1. buy adapters to reduce the bungs to 12mm
   Pros:  very easy fix
   Cons:  not sure if the info supplied to the ECM would be accurate

2. Use a tuner that replaces the entire ECM that comes with 18mm sensors
   Pros:  easy fix
   Cons:  limiting yourself to Thundermax and maybe some others, more $ for auto tuners

3. Buy wide band 18mm 02 sensors (I see that Dyno Jet sells them) to replace the 12mm narrow band sensors that are on the bike.
   Pros: I'm not sure if this will even work with the new ECM but if it did, then you could use any tuner.
   Cons:  More money

For those of you that have much more knowledge in this area than I do, please give your opinions.  There are not a lot of aftermarket products out yet for the Breakout and that is making product selection interesting.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Ronhend

• Junior CVO Member
  • [IMG]http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/ronh

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout
Re: Another Tuner and Pipe Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »

Hi Cowboy,

I got Vance &. Hines #28019 for a 2013 Soft Tail. I had no problem installing these on my Breakout and they have the correct bungs for the O2 sensors.
Funny thing is V&H says they aren't recommended for the Breakout but J & P Cycles say they will fit. Go figure.

I have been using a Power Vision tuner. Bike runs great and sounds awesome.

Ron

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »

I just pulled up their website and you are right.  It says "Not Recommended For The Breakout"

It looks like it would fit.  It has 12mm bungs.

I wonder why they are stating that?

Cowboy

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »

I just pulled up their website and you are right.  It says "Not Recommended For The Breakout"

It looks like it would fit.  It has 12mm bungs.

I wonder why they are stating that?

Cowboy

they have been giving out conflicting and blatantly false information on their exhausts since the Breakout came out.  I only use V/H exhausts on my bikes because I like the looks, quality, and sound better than any other brand.  But they should be embarrassed with the BS they have been feeding people via their support line.

There are several current exhausts that fit and operate perfectly on this bike.  Several of us have them on and have put quite a few miles on them(I have 1300 miles on my V/H 2-2), and they are working great.  They haven't fallen off, burned up the oil lines, leaked at the cylinder heads, interfered with the forward controls, or any of the other catastrophic issues we were told would occur if we dared use them.

OK, I'll get off my high horse,  :soapbox: but I just hate getting disappointed by a company whose products I have used and appreciated for several years, you know?

2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:09 PM »

I feel the same way! Whole situation made me give Bassani a shot.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:11:13 PM »

I feel the same way! Whole situation made me give Bassani a shot.

Exactly Pipe, I fully understand your reasoning on this...

sounded like from your other thread, your bike should be ready tomorrow for pickup.  Obviously, you are going to share   ;D  dying to know how it sounds....

good luck!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:13:42 PM by Z06_Pilot »
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 11:57:19 PM »

Shop is two hours from Casper but my office is about 45 mins in the opposite direction. Gonna strategically sneak out around lunch time and go get it. Only thing that will not be complete is the heat shield on the pipes. Bassani is working on one and will send out in a few days. Charging battery on camera right now.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »

Hi Cowboy,

I got Vance &. Hines #28019 for a 2013 Soft Tail. I had no problem installing these on my Breakout and they have the correct bungs for the O2 sensors.
Funny thing is V&H says they aren't recommended for the Breakout but J & P Cycles say they will fit. Go figure.

I have been using a Power Vision tuner. Bike runs great and sounds awesome.

Ron

Ron,

Do you have any pictures of the Big Radius on your Breakout?

Cowboy

Carbon 60

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »

Ron,

Do you have any pictures of the Big Radius on your Breakout?

Cowboy

I found this V & H 2 into 1 #28019 on You Tube

Looks & Sounds great Cowboy,
Garr

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »

For those of you that are running the Power Vision:  looking online, it appears that I need the PV-2 for the Breakout, is that correct?  I see the best google price is through Directcycle.com, does it come with maps from the seller or do you call Dyno Jet for the maps?  Does it come with all connecting cables or are they ordered separately?  Did you bother to mount the controller with the handle bar mounting bracket?

Cowboy

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 11:12:18 PM »

For those of you that are running the Power Vision:  looking online, it appears that I need the PV-2 for the Breakout, is that correct?  I see the best google price is through Directcycle.com, does it come with maps from the seller or do you call Dyno Jet for the maps?  Does it come with all connecting cables or are they ordered separately?  Did you bother to mount the controller with the handle bar mounting bracket?

Cowboy

Hey Cowboy,

PV-2 for Breakout, correct.

I can't speak for whether Directcycle.com will do maps for you or not.  I paid a little more and bought from Fuel Moto.  They are widely recognized as possibly the most knowledgeable dealer for the PV line of tuners.  They did provide an initial tune for me to start with when I had my slip-ons.  BUT, they did not have a tune for my V/H Big Radius 2-2, so I went to Dynojet.  They had one, and boy is their tech support world class.  Very responsive and patient to explain everything to me on how the PV works.

The connecting cable from the PV to the ECU connector under the seat comes with the unit.  Also, a USB cable comes with it to attach the PV to your PC to upload/download maps.

Yes, I used the handlebar mount, and attached it to an articulating RAM quick-release TAB mount.  Here's what I did.  Since I knew that from time to time I would want to run Autotune sessions, which require that the PV be attached to the ECU, I had my dealer lift up the gas tank and run the cable from the ECU, under the tank, and up through the slit in the triple tree where the handlebar control cables feed into.  Then I could just plug it into the PV mounted on my handlebar.  Once I loaded the initial load from Dynojet, and ran about 10 autotune sessions to dial the tune in really good, I removed the RAM mount and PV from my handlebar and just pushed the cable down into the slit in the triple tree, so it's out of site until I want to mount the PV again(I will probably run more Autotune sessions when the weather warms up).

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 12:27:11 AM »

Thanks for the great information!

Cowboy

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »

To the tuner and exhaust guru's:  On the Breakout

Would a person get a better tune if he replaced the stock 02 sensors (which are 12mm), with wide band 02 sensors (which are 18mm)?  That would also solve the problem on using adapters on the pipes that are currently available

I see where they come with the pro series Power Vision.

Cowboy

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 10:20:45 AM »

The PV2,
If your going to go with the PV, contact FuelMoto, the customer service is second to none!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »

To the tuner and exhaust guru's:  On the Breakout

Would a person get a better tune if he replaced the stock 02 sensors (which are 12mm), with wide band 02 sensors (which are 18mm)?  That would also solve the problem on using adapters on the pipes that are currently available

I see where they come with the pro series Power Vision.

Cowboy

I'm certainly not a tuner guru, but I can tell you that the 18mm O2's would allow you to use the PV Autotune Pro(assuming you are going with a PV).  The autotune basic provided as a no cost option with the PV has to make some educated "guesses" regarding the AFM settings at specific RPM/throttle positions due to the narrowband nature of the 12mm stock o2's.  The 18mm's allow the program to access much more AFM info, and provide a much more accurate tune.  That's how the guys at DynoJet explained it to me...

This summer I may actually try that myself in oder to use the PV autotune pro.

OH, also keep in mind, if you don't already know, if you go with PV and decided to use the Autotune Pro, their kit comes with a module that MUST remain on the bike.  The PV console itself does not have to remain, but a small module does, so you will need to find a spot under the seat or elsewhere to mount it...

Jeff
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 24 queries.