Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Wobbling at 110mph  (Read 17871 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Re: Wobbling at 110mph
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2013, 11:37:50 PM »

I once raced a gal with a Springer  doing 125 on my first HD bagger ( '88 - not stock) Took up almost two lanes with the wobble.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »

Ha!  I've got one of those little things also....takes awhile for mine to lock in on the sats, but it was 'free' for test driving a car, so, can't complain about it.  :D spyder

Beats the hell out of a compass, map, and triangulation like in the bad ol days... ;)  Just take extra batteries  :huepfenlol2:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2013, 03:05:24 PM »

Beats the hell out of a compass, map, and triangulation like in the bad ol days... ;)  Just take extra batteries  :huepfenlol2:

Yup, but when you're out in the wilderness without a clue and the batteries or the entire device die, it sure would be nice to have that old fashioned compass and map as a backup.  I keep wondering what the younger generation would do if a sudden huge EMP were to kill all the electronic devices in the world and shut down all the satellites.  I have a feeling the result would be both extremely funny initially, and then extremely sad when everything shuts down and people start dying because they have no clue how to do anything the "old fashioned way".  God forbid we have to live in a world without instant and constant connectivity, and an "app" to tell us what to do.

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ftmyerscobra

• Full CVO Member
  • Ride it like you stole it!

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 ANV
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »

I ran across Aligator Alley for 25 min wide open, speedo was buried. The bike was as smooth as it is when I'm doing 70.
SE EFI Super Tuner, D & D Slash Down 2-1 Fatcat, D & D Fatcat left Ghost Pipe
2008 Roadglide Annv
2012 Softail Slim

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »

Yup, but when you're out in the wilderness without a clue and the batteries or the entire device die, it sure would be nice to have that old fashioned compass and map as a backup.  I keep wondering what the younger generation would do if a sudden huge EMP were to kill all the electronic devices in the world and shut down all the satellites.  I have a feeling the result would be both extremely funny initially, and then extremely sad when everything shuts down and people start dying because they have no clue how to do anything the "old fashioned way".  God forbid we have to live in a world without instant and constant connectivity, and an "app" to tell us what to do.

Jerry ;)

Jerry that is a very good point.   I had a forth grade teacher that thought us how to use a map and a compass.  Then in Boy Scouts we did it again.  Never really thought about it again until you brought it up.  I am going to show my 15 year old and his friends this weekend now.  Hide a few things in the woods and let them find them using maps and compasses.  Can't believe I still new where this old stuff was at.  Just half to refresh myself with making the maps.  This is a fun cheap thing for us to do rain or shine.   

18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »

Jerry ;)

Oh yea...I still keep a compass for the "just in case" situations that are inevitable if you do any wandering around in the woods.  And I still like looking at a good map spread out in front of me instead of a 3" screen...I like to get the "big picture" in my head that only a paper map can provide, even when traveling on the bike.  But then, I'm a map freak of sorts anyway.  I'm getting old, so don't go out for days at a time like I used to, but you can bet your azz I'm going to have a topo map and a compass as a backup, regardless.

In 20 years, people will be as lost as farts in a whirlwind without electronic devices.... ;)

Back on topic:  I've had three different HD bikes in recent years...a '06 SEUC, '06 SEVROD, and the '11 SERGU, and admit to having all three of them up to speeds equal to or exceeding 110mph, though not for long periods of time, and they were all as steady as a rock.  But, none of them had stock suspension either...having your front wheel making constant contact with the pavement is a good thing at those speeds, and the stock front end on a HD does NOT keep the front tire on the ground as much as you think it does if there are any irregularities in the road surface.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »

Boy, I remember those 'topo' maps, and in the jungle/swamps there wasn't much 'topo' unless you moved to the mountain/highlands ranges.....a GPS sure would have been nice. :P Har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2013, 06:26:32 PM »

I ran across Aligator Alley for 25 min wide open, speedo was buried. The bike was as smooth as it is when I'm doing 70.
well i have ben checking my bike for a wobble every day this week 100 , 110 , 115 , 120 & 1?? mph no wobble either..
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2013, 10:43:31 PM »

Boy, I remember those 'topo' maps, and in the jungle/swamps there wasn't much 'topo' unless you moved to the mountain/highlands ranges.....a GPS sure would have been nice. :P Har!  :drink: spyder

Spyd...It was you I had in mind when talking about the GPS as opposed to the "old days".  It's hard to triangulate on flat ground and you can't see 20' in front of yourself.  They don't put trees on Topo maps  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2013, 10:36:45 AM »

Heck I still pass my turn sometimes then the backseat GPS kicks in. OUCH :huepfenlol2:

bear tracks

• Follow The Sun

• CVO1: 2004 Screamin Eagle Electra-Glide
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »

Kilaani:  My experience with fork-mounted fairings (yours & mine), and frame-mounted fairings (I owned an older frame-mounted Honda Goldwing) is that your bike will most likely experience some degree of wobble at higher speeds like you describe.  On a new bike like yours it is most likely caused by wind or a combination of wind and the front end simply getting  light.  My Goldwing would go up to its max speed (105 mph) and remain rock solid, but it also had an aftermarket fork brace.  Fork-mounted fairings are more easily affected by the wind than frame-mounted (glide family) because they don't have the weight of the frame and attached elements giving the bike added stability.  If your bike doesn't have head bearing adjustment issues and you still desire to run at higher speeds, then I will pass on some advice that a local long time Harley rider passed on to me.  If you don't want to slow down, try leaning forward onto the tank to get more weight onto the front end.   If that doesn't work, you best slow down.  I love my batwing SEEG and would not trade it for anything else, but I know the engine is capable of taking it way faster than the bike design can handle (except maybe with a good tail wind).   :). Good luck.

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »

Don't you guys have the Compass App on your iPhone??

We live so far out West in the boonies, where the Hoot Owls make love to the Chickens, that you have to have a compass of some sort to find your way to the bar.

Lars,
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »

checked mine for wobble again this afternoon...90 nothing, 100 nothing, 110 nothing, 120 still nothing and then out of road...traffic sucks!   :pepper:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

Imbuilt2ride

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:23 AM »

I have a 2012 CVO RG and I have had the speedometer buried at 120 in 5th and took off in 6th much faster with no wobble.  I changed to a metzeler rear tire and all of a sudden I would get a bad wobble around 75 mph and then it would go away if I went faster or slower. HD blamed the rear tire and put a new stock tire on and the wobble went away.  They tightened the steering head bearings also.

Kilaani

• Scarlett - The Bike On Fire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • CVOH! My Scarlett built 3-13-12, & arrived 6-1-12
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2013, 06:31:45 PM »

I have a 2012 CVO RG and I have had the speedometer buried at 120 in 5th and took off in 6th much faster with no wobble.  I changed to a metzeler rear tire and all of a sudden I would get a bad wobble around 75 mph and then it would go away if I went faster or slower. HD blamed the rear tire and put a new stock tire on and the wobble went away.  They tightened the steering head bearings also.

Not sure which was the culprit in my case, but when they did my 10k tune up, it solved itself:perhaps it was one of the usual suspects you guys laid out for me. My service tech made the list. My mechanic did the neck bearings at 10m, maybe it was that, don't know
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 20 queries.