Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Which tuner?  (Read 3456 times)

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
Which tuner?
« on: April 18, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »

Hi everone I purchased a 2013 CVO Road King a couple of weeks ago and could not stand the sewing machine stock sound. So far I have changed the stock mufflers to a set of V&H Hi output slip ons which definitely helped. No tuning has been done at this point, the dealership said it was not needed for just slip ons. I would like to change the header pipes next and I am considering the V&H dresser duals. Do I need to purchase the screaming eagle pro tuner or the screaming eagle street tuner for the dealership to perform the dyno tuning when I change the header pipes? Sorry if this is a dumb question I am new to all of this.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
Re: Which tuner?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »

1st of all, congrats on the new bike!  I saw a blue one sitting at the dealership, awesome scoot.  There are a lot of different systems that you can choose from.  A lot of smart people here can give you both educated and bias opinions.  You are not just limited to the Screaming Eagle tuner, there are several to choose from.  Good luck
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »

Hi everone I purchased a 2013 CVO Road King a couple of weeks ago and could not stand the sewing machine stock sound. So far I have changed the stock mufflers to a set of V&H Hi output slip ons which definitely helped. No tuning has been done at this point, the dealership said it was not needed for just slip ons. I would like to change the header pipes next and I am considering the V&H dresser duals. Do I need to purchase the screaming eagle pro tuner or the screaming eagle street tuner for the dealership to perform the dyno tuning when I change the header pipes? Sorry if this is a dumb question I am new to all of this.

You don't want the SE Street Tuner.  That is a very limited device designed to allow you to install Harley provided street legal maps and make minor changes that don't affect emissions status. 

If you plan to have the bike tuned on a dyno, you may want to check around locally to see what choices are available.  Don't assume a Harley dealer has a fully qualified and competent tuner on the payroll just because they own a dyno; talk to people who have had tuning done in your area and see who they recommend.  Once you determine who you plan to have do the tuning, then talk to that person about the device he recommends.  Some use several different tuning solutions, some prefer one particular one.  The device and software are the tools, and if you don't intend to mess with it yourself it's probably best to let the guy you plan to pay to use the tools tell you which he prefers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »

I agree with Jerry, the better question for you to ask may be who is the best tuner in your area and what device do they prefer... then go speak to them about what your plans are and the best way to achieve them.

Also, there is great wisdom in not assuming that the best person for the job is employed by your local dealer, just because buddy is wearing a HD shirt doesn't mean he's competent.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »

You don't want the SE Street Tuner.  That is a very limited device designed to allow you to install Harley provided street legal maps and make minor changes that don't affect emissions status. 

If you plan to have the bike tuned on a dyno, you may want to check around locally to see what choices are available.  Don't assume a Harley dealer has a fully qualified and competent tuner on the payroll just because they own a dyno; talk to people who have had tuning done in your area and see who they recommend.  Once you determine who you plan to have do the tuning, then talk to that person about the device he recommends.  Some use several different tuning solutions, some prefer one particular one.  The device and software are the tools, and if you don't intend to mess with it yourself it's probably best to let the guy you plan to pay to use the tools tell you which he prefers.

Jerry

Jerry knows all!  Great advice, a lot of members like the TTS Mastertune.  Thats what was on my bike when I bought it and I'm having a hard time finding someone that has the software in their chamber or knows the system to tune my bike.  I would take Jerrys advice and then take it a step further and go to the manufacturer website and get a list of dealers or speed shops that carry the product. That will give you a sense of its popularity and also a choice of potential tuners or shops to work with? 
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

ZOOM is BACK

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »

Having to tune  again&again Why? Go with a ems

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »

Thank you all for the replys. I live close to Baton Rouge Louisiana but travel from there to Galveston Texas a lot for business. If anyone on here reads my post that can recommend a reputable Harley shop or other shop that has a reputable tunerin that geographical area please chime in.

Also, what is ems??

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:98 :2vrolijk_21:
I'm 8) going out to get that new ems right away!
I never relizied how bad my bike was running until a stock electraglide passed me like I was standing still!
finally caught up with the owner and he talked me into the ems he has.
only problem is their website is down and I gotta just ride my pos until I get back from my trip.
HOGMIKE

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »

Buy the SE PRO race tuner also buy the CD and cables. You can tune it yourself with the smart tune option. Believe me it works!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:98 :2vrolijk_21:
I'm 8) going out to get that new ems right away!
I never relizied how bad my bike was running until a stock electraglide passed me like I was standing still!
finally caught up with the owner and he talked me into the ems he has.
only problem is their website is down and I gotta just ride my pos until I get back from my trip.

;)   

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 06:17:57 AM »

ems you keep bringing up, are you talking about ems engine management system/software in general or Revolution Performance's EMS kit?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »

ems you keep bringing up, are you talking about ems engine management system/software in general or Revolution Performance's EMS kit?

He's trying to shill for Rev Perf I believe.  He obviously hasn't figured out they don't offer anything for bikes after 2010, even after Twolane tried to enlighten him. 

Jerry

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »

and just when I was resdy to buy a bunch to replace all the crappy systems I have on my bikes!

HOGMIKE

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

All this and no one has said what they use and what they think is best. I dont want to download maps. I have a tunere 5 minutes from me that tunes crotch rockets on a dyno. I want the bike tuned to itsa maximum potential and not have to do it again and again.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »

All this and no one has said what they use and what they think is best. I dont want to download maps. I have a tunere 5 minutes from me that tunes crotch rockets on a dyno. I want the bike tuned to itsa maximum potential and not have to do it again and again.

Several clear answers to your question.  If you have heard good things about the tuner and you like him, ask him what he recommends?  There are systems out there that range from $400-$900, the more expensive ones offer an autotune feature that adjusts your fuel/oxygen levels as you ride to potentially offer you the best performance based climate and altitude change, also once you have a good base map, you can make other minor mods to the bike without getting a new tune?  Other systems you can get them tuned once, they have a set variance (less $ ones) and very few people ever complain or notice a difference.   Best choice is the one a good tuner can recommend and tune and help you out if you have any problems?  There is no BEST!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 20 queries.