Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: New Compensator & Hayden Chain tensioner  (Read 23185 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: New Compensator & Hayden Chain tensioner
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »

I've accumulated three compensators that look just like yours!   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »

I've accumulated three compensators that look just like yours!   ???

And those wonderful and benevolent folks in Milwaukee would like to thank you for your continued support (and the extra profits they make selling crap to replace the crap they sold you last time).

I wonder how long their patents will prevent the aftermarket from fixing this problem, like the aftermarket has had to fix Harley's problems throughout history?  That's one of the things the fine folks in Milwaukee have learned; when they brought out the Twin Cam they spent more money on patent attorneys than they did on engineers, to keep the aftermarket from sucking up those replacement part profits.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

prs4guitars

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »

You might want to consider this: http://www.compensaver.com/index.html

I'm going to put in a new compensator, the Hayden tensioner and the Compensaver in a few weeks and hope I don't have to open up the primary for a long, long time! :orange:

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 07:38:52 AM »

For the moment I still have my OEM compensator in my bike which has 40000 miles so I have a few questions:

- Is the fact of just adding the Hayden tensioner will prevent the potential issue of the compensator?

- What is the sign of a failing/breaking compensator?

- What does this Compensaver cost and where can we buy it?

- Is there any one else than Harley who make compensator?

At this time the only sign I have is that when it's really hot and during city drives (traffic jam and low riding) the gears are harder to change and the neutral is also harder to find.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »

For the moment I still have my OEM compensator in my bike which has 40000 miles so I have a few questions:

- Is the fact of just adding the Hayden tensioner will prevent the potential issue of the compensator?

- What is the sign of a failing/breaking compensator?

- What does this Compensaver cost and where can we buy it?

- Is there any one else than Harley who make compensator?

At this time the only sign I have is that when it's really hot and during city drives (traffic jam and low riding) the gears are harder to change and the neutral is also harder to find.

That particular symptom is not very likely related to your compensator.  That symptom, occurring while your bike is hot, could very well be cured by running a bit less (3 to 5 oz.) of primary lubricant.  Hard to shift and hart to find neutral is a sign the clutch is not completely releasing the clutch plates resulting in a drag on the clutch plates.   It doesn't take much primary lubricant on the clutch plates to cause then to stick, resulting in your symptoms.

It's also possible your clutch hydraulic fluid is overheating and expanding when hot (causing the clutch to not fully release), but I'd try running a bit less primary lubricant first.

A failing compensator will cause your bike to become hard starting, and will clunk and make racket when shifting, accelerating and de-accelerating, but won't necessarily effect shifting performance...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »

Mine made sort of a howling sound started with the primary bearing race walking. Installed Baker primary bearing and new comp assembly all good since

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »

That particular symptom is not very likely related to your compensator.  That symptom, occurring while your bike is hot, could very well be cured by running a bit less (3 to 5 oz.) of primary lubricant.  Hard to shift and hart to find neutral is a sign the clutch is not completely releasing the clutch plates resulting in a drag on the clutch plates.   It doesn't take much primary lubricant on the clutch plates to cause then to stick, resulting in your symptoms.

It's also possible your clutch hydraulic fluid is overheating and expanding when hot (causing the clutch to not fully release), but I'd try running a bit less primary lubricant first.

OK thanks for this advise I will try that!

prs4guitars

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »

I also just installed a new compensator, Hayden tensioner, Compensaver (oiler for the compensator), a clutch wiz and a 480 # clutch spring. The changes are dramatic. Absolutely no clunking on starting, very easy to find neutral, almost shifts like a Honda (sinck, snick) almost feels like it didn't shift! While I didn't have all the galling you showed on your comp I did have some of the wear at about 5500 miles. I'm hoping I won't have to get into the primary for a long time. The clutch wiz made the clutch lever pull much lighter an I don't have any slippage. Overall a happy camper! :bananarock:
Walt

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »

I had nothing but trouble with Harley's POS compensator and tensioner on my FLHXSE, so I installed a BDL cs-34a compensator and the Hayden tensioner on my new Ultra.  Unfortunately, I got rear ended before I could put any time on the bike, so I can't yet tell how they'll work over time.  My initial impression is similar to what others have reported here:  quieter shifting, easier to find neutral, etc.  

There's very little info on the 'net, but I think the BDL comp will work well.  Couldn't be worse than HD's comp.  I got the impression that there was less "clunk" on starting, but since the Ultra was new, it didn't have time to put much wear on the original compensator.  I'll report my impressions on the BDL compensator after I get the bike back and ride it for a while.

The biggest improvement for me was putting Redline Shockproof in the tranny.

Tripacer

• CVO MY WAY
  • 2007 FLHTCUSE2 my way!

• CVO2: 2011 FLSTSE2
Re: Hayden Chain tensioner
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »

I have around 50k on my 2007 SEEG, inter primary bearing failed at 49k, put a new one, with in 1,000 mile it started making noise. So I put in a Hayden tensioner, the best improvement any add on ever made! It shifts into 1st like butter! The Trans shifted really good before, but now is shifts
so smooth so easy and is quite. Thanks Haden!
Took a short 100 mile ride today it's smooth and quite!

Kent

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Hayden Chain tensioner
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »

I have around 50k on my 2007 SEEG, inter primary bearing failed at 49k, put a new one, with in 1,000 mile it started making noise. So I put in a Hayden tensioner, the best improvement any add on ever made! It shifts into 1st like butter! The Trans shifted really good before, but now is shifts
so smooth so easy and is quite. Thanks Haden!
Took a short 100 mile ride today it's smooth and quite!

Kent
p
On my 07 SEUC the primary bearing went bad about 20k. HDdude (Jim) suggested installing Baker primary bearing about 50 bucks has been good ever since, several years later and about 25k.

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »

Thank you so much Tripacer - it's always good to hear from satisfied customers. Glad we can be of help. Enjoy the ride!
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »

Kathy,

Can you provide any testing data on your product in regards to longevity?

Does your product help in any way with the limited oiling issues of the compensator assembly?

The compensator and ratcheting tensioner HD designs are definitely an issue for the new big twins.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »

Kathy,

Can you provide any testing data on your product in regards to longevity?

Does your product help in any way with the limited oiling issues of the compensator assembly?

The compensator and ratcheting tensioner HD designs are definitely an issue for the new big twins.

It's a direct bolt in replacement for the factory chain adjuster so it would have no effect on the oiling of the comp.

how2

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 05:37:56 AM »

Help

What kind of chain tensior does this bike have and if putting the Hayden M6BT07 primary chain tensioner help

I have a 2013 cvo road king
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 24 queries.