Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: 2013 Exhaust recommendations - Loudness and Performance?  (Read 20917 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 2013 Exhaust recommendations - Loudness and Performance?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »

The times are not "a changing;" they have changed, especially in California.  Opinion?  Sorry, no.  Consider:  Vance & Hines fined $500,000 for sales of illegal aftermarket motorcycle exhaust.

Also remember that California is desperate for money. Thus:  SB 435 is now law,  Vehicle Code section 27202.1.  The law simply makes it a separate state offense to violate the existing federal law. Why? To collect revenue of course.  As originally written, the bill would have required annual motorcycle inspections. That would have created a whole new bureaucracy and cost the state money. That's why that portion of the bill was eliminated.

California is also cracking down on loud pipes. There is no evidence that loud pipes save lives.  There is a great deal of evidence that loud pipes are obnoxious.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

The times are not "a changing;" they have changed, especially in California.  Opinion?  Sorry, no.  Consider:  Vance & Hines fined $500,000 for sales of illegal aftermarket motorcycle exhaust.

Also remember that California is desperate for money. Thus:  SB 435 is now law,  Vehicle Code section 27202.1.  The law simply makes it a separate state offense to violate the existing federal law. Why? To collect revenue of course.  As originally written, the bill would have required annual motorcycle inspections. That would have created a whole new bureaucracy and cost the state money. That's why that portion of the bill was eliminated.

California is also cracking down on loud pipes. There is no evidence that loud pipes save lives.  There is a great deal of evidence that loud pipes are obnoxious.

:2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »

From the major amount of times i have had drivers not looking and/or not paying attention try to Take my lane on our absolutely crazy freeways here in California, I totally and respectfully disagree with your soapbox comments.

One Rap on the pipes has saved me more times than I could count, as I ride the 2 worst freeways in the entire world, the 405 and the 101.

So thank you, but no thanks.  I will have my Loud Pipes, and I'm certain they will save my life once again as they have in the past from our cell phone yakkin' car and SUV drivers in a rush to somewhere.

Please keep posts to actual helpful answers.

Seems everyone likes the Fulsac setup here, i just wonder if they will have the Bark tone that I like?

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 02:08:06 PM »

From the major amount of times i have had drivers not looking and/or not paying attention try to Take my lane on our absolutely crazy freeways here in California, I totally and respectfully disagree with your soapbox comments.

One Rap on the pipes has saved me more times than I could count, as I ride the 2 worst freeways in the entire world, the 405 and the 101.

So thank you, but no thanks.  I will have my Loud Pipes, and I'm certain they will save my life once again as they have in the past from our cell phone yakkin' car and SUV drivers in a rush to somewhere.

Please keep posts to actual helpful answers.

Seems everyone likes the Fulsac setup here, i just wonder if they will have the Bark tone that I like?

Given where you ride and what your expectations are I doubt the Fullsac setup will be what you want.
I also ride some of the same freeways you do and usually do the HOV lanes when I can.
Never really had a problem except for traffic back ups.
So.....if your question is what LOUD PIPES should you get? Like some have said: T.H. RB Racing, Rhineharts, etc etc. pick what YOU like best and have at 'em.

JMHO, of course.
HOGMIKE

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »

Mr. Warlock,

One cannot "respectfully disagree" with someone and then dis them.   :huepfenlol2:   BTW, that's what forums are for:  no, not dissing, to learn.  If we did not have differing thoughts and opinions, what would we learn?  I assume you admit the CARB fine assessed against V&H and CA Vehicle Code 27202.1 (they are the law, after all) and limit your disagreement to your position on loud pipes.  

If, "loud pipes save lives," why are not all those sport bike, Honda, BMW, etc. riders already dead?   :hanged:  For reference, I have the 2" Fullsac cores with HD packing.  I went this rout because it works, is cost effective and I knew that then CA SB 435 would become law.  My SERG is louder than stock but not so loud that on the Ventura (101) or San Diego (405) Freeways which I ride frequently that anyone is going to move out of my way or that I get stopped by the PD.  Both are difficult rides, especially with the 405 construction.  My experience is that by placing myself in a driver's line of sight (in the driver's mirrors) most move to let me pass.  This has improved with my LED headlights.  Twice in years past while riding my Titan which I admit is obnoxiously loud (S&S 112" & Thunderheader) I've had drivers change lanes into me where I had to rap their passenger side window with my fist.  So, I do understand your frustration but an after market horn such as a Mini Blaster would do a far better job than loud pipes.  BTW, the Thunderheader is well-named.   :coolblue:  I have not had the problem in years; hopefully because I am a better rider.

A multitude of studies show that loud pipes not only do not save lives but that the concept is a myth.  Here is but one analysis in Autoevolution.com: Most Common Motorcycle Myths Debunked.  One excerpt: Motorcycle exhausts openings are facing towards the rear of the bike, and it's obviously to the back where the gases and all the noise are directed. Assuming that the noise a motorcycle makes travels in an omnidirectional manner is just wrong, because noise is air (or other gases, for what's worth) in movement. With the air/ gas jest directed towards the rear of the bike, it's there where all the noise goes. And if you don't believe this, just 'start your engine in the open and then check the noise levels when facing the bike and behind it, alternatively.

When riding at higher speeds, things are even worse, because you're not only remaining close to the place where all the exhaust gases start to make noise hitting the mass of air, but you're traveling further from that zone as you advance on the road.

Now, having established that pipes generate a lot more noise behind the bike than in front of it, claiming that loud(er) pipes would help getting you noticed by the man driving the car in front sounds just silly. A loud exhaust pipe could come in handy when splitting the lanes at low speed, letting the drivers in front of you know “something is approaching” and maybe preventing them from cutting you off or opening the doors. Analyzing the crash reports, statistics indicate that around 77% of the hazards come in front of the biker, and only 3% approach from behind. What's next, front-facing exhausts?

This excerpt may save some lives:  Finally, it's the simple fact that a louder pipe is by no means a proactive or primary safety measure, but a secondary one. Again, learning how to ride well (throttle, turn, brake and so on) and keeping a close eye to the traffic around you are essential to making it home safely.
The first rule of avoiding a crash is not placing yourself in a critical traffic situation, and this means riding carefully and being able to detect the potential hazards early. It's always easier to avoid a nasty situation than to find a safe exit from one.

How many times have you heard about the public upset at loud pipes, especially when they use them to frighten them?  Pissing off the public will only lead to more anti-motorcycle laws!  Consider this recent article in Forbes, Deafened by Hogs: Motorcycle Noise and the Environment.  The public thinks loud motorcycle riders are obnoxious idiots fueling activist organizations such as NoiseOff and Noise Free America campaigning for more laws and more enforcement.  The great majority of Legislators and voters do not ride and many are biased against bikes.  So, loud pipes are self-defeating.  

So here's the soapbox   :soapbox:   Loud pipes are a bad idea. They do nothing for your safety, give a false sense of security, and annoy the people around you, negatively affecting the public perception of motorcyclists. If you're concerned about safety, take a rider training course, get a louder horn and a set of bright, reflective protective gear, and don't propagate the "loud pipes save lives" myth.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »

Have you ever considered a really loud horn to get those other folk's attention, as opposed to irritating everyone all the time with loud pipes?  I know, it's more fun to be obnoxious and thumb your nose at those around you.  But thanks to those with attitudes like yours, many places face more and more restrictive noise laws for motorcycles these days, and I won't be surprised to see that trend continue and expand. 

JHMO of course  -  Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »

RB Racing are the loudest I have heard...there you have it...get what you want and be judged.. :huepfenlol2:

May as well go to 124 cubes..more displacement more noise...

Disclosure: now I am just being a wise ass and not adding to the thread... :P

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »

The man just asked for recommendations on LOUD pipes. Fullsac, Fullsac , fullsac.. Again he wants loud. Yes, we all agree Fullsac is a good inexspensive stage 1 system. LOUD IT IS NOT !!  V&H Head Pipe and one of the following will give you loud and I dont care what anyone on this or any other forum sais , you will not feel any power loss in the seat of your pants using any of these slip ons with your VH Head Pipe.

CFR
Rhinehart
Thunderheader just to name a few. I run Rhineharts on my CVO and love the sound but the CFR's sound better and louder to me than anything I have heard when you get on it.

And I'm with you on Loud Pipes save lives, Anytime I get next to a Blue hair who I know can't see me, I pull in that clutch and hit that throttle and they wake right up.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 06:32:42 PM »

It's not just about loudness.

Also want performance, and great performance in the 2000>3500 range.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »

you'll get plenty of performance with any of those combo's and a good tune brother.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »

I like the sound of a loud pipe on someone else's bike not mine.   Gives me a head ache after a few min of riding.  Can't hear the radio.  And bothers me when I am trying to text ...   Lol.   

Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Bigfoot16

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic SE
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »

I just put Vance and Hines X pipe and RC components mufflers on my Ultra... I like the way it sounds and performs..
[img] C:\Users\Steve\Pictures\dragon.png

simpletruth

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 05:37:29 AM »

Just put on Fullsac Dx Pipe, with Supertrapp Kerker Stouts, on my 2013 CVO Road Glide. A friend of mine has 2012 CVO Road Glide, with the Vance Hines Power Duals, and the Vance Hines High Outputs slip ons. They almost sound the same, except the Kerkers seem to have a deeper tone, and are a  louder when you open the throttle. Took the bike to the dealer to to get a Screaming Eagle Super Tuner, and Dyno. Before bike was put on  Dyno sales guy wanted to hear the Kerker Stouts. He, and a couple of service guys realey liked the sound of the Kerkers with the Fulsac DX pipes. Maybe this was all because they always hear the Vance Hines because thats what they sell. After bike was dynode the tech said that it was his personel best, as far as numbers go, with just exhaust changes. ( 96.05 HP, 117.68 Torque). He liked the sound of the Kerkers, but was really impressed with the Fullsac pipes, which he attriputed the good numbers to.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:40:30 AM by simpletruth »
Fullsac DX Pipe
Super Trapp Kerker Stouts
Screaming Eagle Super Tuner

cvoDoug

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2004 CVO Electra Glide
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 08:46:12 AM »

ThunderHeader and a GOOD tune.  As long as you don't have a fist full of throttle it's calm. Twist the wick and it'll let the next town know you're on a putt.  It give you nice low end torque and a smooth curve on the way up..this a seat of the pants evaluation and not a dyno tune sheet spec.  It's the only pipe I'll run.  Looks wise you either love them or hate them. Me, I prefer the performance and the sound.  It's unique and if you're in an area where everyone is not running them you'll stand out.  I had a (ahem) friend that said she knew it was me from a mile away....could have been the smell... :nixweiss:  Either way, make it yours and ride.  My biggest recommendation regardless of what pipe you choose to go with, find a good legitimate tuner.  Research rules in this department.  That's my nickel's worth..(damn inflation, it used to be 2 cents)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »

So asking for recommendations for pipes is pretty overdone, but it seems like most of you guys like your pipes quiet, with a deep low rumble, as apposed to a louder bark.
(I've seen videos of the Jackpot and Fulsac's and they do not appear to be quite as loud as other pipes I have heard).

I am used to having Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals on my last bike ('07 Ultra) and before that, Big Shot Staggereds ('05 Wide Glide).

So I like my pipes loud, with more of a top end bark when you get on the bikes, to warn people away from me when they are coming into my lane.

What I am wondering, for my '13 CVO Ultra,
is there a pipe out there that offers better performance than the Big Shot Duals, but also gives me the louder pipes as well?  I don't mind changing the tone a little bit, but it is really important I don't loose my "warning system" out here in L.A.  Also could be interested in a 2>1>2 system, but not sure about the X look...The VH Power chamber looks a little silly. Also, not interested in any 2>1 only pipes (unless they have a falsie pipe, i suppose, like the Thunderheader).  more interested in the pipes that Do Not have that dip in the regular riding area of 2000>3000 rpm.

Anyone?

My turn!

Fullsac DX Pipe, 2.25 SD cores, no packing in the mufflers. Still make good power and bleeding ears at full throttle.
For me personally, these are way too loud and I do use earplugs when I test ride this combo. Yes, there are certainly other choices that are even louder,
but you did mention performance was also important. JMHO from having actually dynoed and ridden this combo numerous times.

All clear, let the mud fly!

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 20 queries.