Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: 2013 Exhaust recommendations - Loudness and Performance?  (Read 20907 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: 2013 Exhaust recommendations - Loudness and Performance?
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2013, 08:34:51 AM »

I do not believe the ECM flash will do the trick, it has to be an EPA approved flash, there for it will not be much help, especially with non-epa approved head pipe.

Using something like TTS or the SEPT a good tuner will add more fuel making the bike a bit richer, and run a bit cooler.

I recommend Fullsac for a good head pipe that goes under the stock chrome heat shield, no cat.  Then the TTS tuner, and a map from Steve.

I did that to my 09 CVO Road Glide, my wifes 11 Street Glide.  Both those bikes are gone, to my wifes 13 Street glide, and none of these bikes lost any mpg, but ran cooler and had more power.

Running that same head pipe and tuner on my Built 13 CVO Road King, see signature for all the work.  MPG is as good as stock, unless I really ride it hard.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Re: 2013 Exhaust recommendations - Loudness and Performance?
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »

Can I get the results I am looking for with an ECM flash on the stock unit rather than a complete new ecm retrofit with a race tuner?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

It's not like the old days when the dealer could flash the ECM for what HD considered a Stage 1 modification, which usually consisted of a SE Air Filter and SE mufflers mounted on the stock headpipe.  You could expect a reasonably close "tune" with that route.  All that ended after the '06 model year.  The PCIII was a good route to take back then, BUT there were a lot of so called "tuners" out there who used the PCIII that did not know WTF they were doing and you could get a tune that gave you 32 mpg.  A GOOD tuner on the PCIII could give you a good tune and still get mileage in the low 40's at speeds of 65mph or less.  80mph?  Mileage would drop down into the mid to high 30's.

To my knowledge, HD does not offer a "flash" for the ECM that would compensate for a change in headpipe, thus removal of the CAT...perhaps the Street Tuner would allow some changes, but all Street Tuner (as opposed to the Pro Race Tuner) calibrations would be EPA compliant (as mentioned).  No cigar.

All you have to do to flash the ECM in the new bikes with a device like the TTS or SEPRT is have the "dongle" and cables, a laptop, pull off the left side cover, hook the cable up to the data port connector, and load the map.  With the TTS and it's software, the FIRST step is to upload the Stock ECM map to your laptop's hard drive, a thumbdrive, a CD, or all three.  Then load the new map.  If you have a map provided by Fullsac for their setup, you're done.  You can then fine tune the map either by doing some data runs yourself or find a competent tuner IF you feel the provided map is not good enough for you.  The map I got from Fullsac with the header pipe, 2" cores, TTS, Cables was PLENTY good enough for my needs. You can even calibrate the inaccurate speedometer with the TTS software, if you want to.  The bike ran fine and driveability was vastly improved.  I did the work myself in my basement.  Spent <$1100, and it took me about 5 hours, taking my time and having about 3 beers.  If you have a decent socket set, some open end wrenches, a screwdriver or two, a Dremel tool or even a drill with a grinding bit, a laptop computer, and some basic mechanical/computer skills, it's a no brainer.  Somebody who changes exhaust systems all the time, like a good shop, could probably do it in 2 hours or so.  The bike appears bone stock but sounds and runs a LOT better.  Loudness depends on what cores you get...the 1.75" are the quietest, the 2" are moderate, and the 2.25" are the loudest.  But, even the 2.25" are not going to be obnoxiously loud.  The 2" were fine for me, and I actually would have been fine with the 1.75"...but, I'm done with loud pipes for a number of reasons.

If you decide to go with the SEPRT, then you'll need to find a competent tuner to get it right...although there are probably a few members here who might be able to help you out with a base map...and that does NOT mean most HD dealer "techs".  Some HD dealers have competent tuners, but they are the exception rather than the rule, IMO.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

chiefs584ever

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »

Thank you to all.  Called the dealer and told them to not install the Vance and Hines headpipe.  I think I will be going the route of Fullsac with the TTS tuner and some baffles.  Guess I will take some time to do some wrench work on the Handy lift. 
2004 CVO Electra Glide (pumpkin)
2013 CVO Ultra Classic (tribal orange)
2005 Ultra Classic

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »

Performance & Loud?  Two words: FAT CAT. 
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

Thundercloud

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2013, 07:29:28 AM »

The times are not "a changing;" they have changed, especially in California.  Opinion?  Sorry, no.  Consider:  Vance & Hines fined $500,000 for sales of illegal aftermarket motorcycle exhaust.

Also remember that California is desperate for money. Thus:  SB 435 is now law,  Vehicle Code section 27202.1.  The law simply makes it a separate state offense to violate the existing federal law. Why? To collect revenue of course.  As originally written, the bill would have required annual motorcycle inspections. That would have created a whole new bureaucracy and cost the state money. That's why that portion of the bill was eliminated.

California is also cracking down on loud pipes. There is no evidence that loud pipes save lives.  There is a great deal of evidence that loud pipes are obnoxious.

I wouldn't go to the Communist State to throw up, let alone live there!!!!!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »

Performance & Loud?  Two words: FAT CAT. 

Performance vs. other 2-1 pipes is an endless debate, Phil... but I will vouch for the fact that your Fat Cat is indeed LOUD. It's even louder than my Drago's S/C/S-4!  :vrolijk27: 

But Frank offers a guarantee that his pipes will outperform any other pipe... so at least I have that...  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »

Performance vs. other 2-1 pipes is an endless debate, Phil... but I will vouch for the fact that your Fat Cat is indeed LOUD. It's even louder than my Drago's S/C/S-4!  :vrolijk27: 

But Frank offers a guarantee that his pipes will outperform any other pipe... so at least I have that...  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

mightywarlock, I say at the end of the day, go with the BEST performing pipe you feel best suits your particular build.  (Looks - "quality of chrome" and sound are to be considered too) Like Ken has stated, it's an endless debate.  The reality is the sound or "loudness" heard from the Dragos S/C/S-4 or the D&D Fat Cat sitting side by side is negligible.

2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »

This thread will go 15 pages before it dies :huepfenjump3:  I have Kerker Stouts on mine, love the sound, not certain of the performance because i haven't had a good tune.  Friend of mine just put Drago true duals on his, he absolutely loves them, plus I have heard good things about their 2:1 set up.  If I had to do it again, Dragos 2:1
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »

I ended up going for a set of Fullsac DX pipes with the 2.25 cores and screens from another forum member who was switching to a Fatcat.

Not loud enough for my tastes, but i still have not experimented with the packing yet.
Tune from map is very smooth, but i'm experiencing some minor popping occasionally when downshifting.
Trying to figure out where each time to see if it will be easy to address.

Bike has a mild bump in power, but it's there.
I'd just call it still very smooth running that could probably improve only slightly if i had the bike actually dyno tuned. But i feel it's probably good enough for now.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »

I ended up going for a set of Fullsac DX pipes with the 2.25 cores and screens from another forum member who was switching to a Fatcat.

Not loud enough for my tastes, but i still have not experimented with the packing yet.
Tune from map is very smooth, but i'm experiencing some minor popping occasionally when downshifting.
Trying to figure out where each time to see if it will be easy to address.

Bike has a mild bump in power, but it's there.
I'd just call it still very smooth running that could probably improve only slightly if i had the bike actually dyno tuned. But i feel it's probably good enough for now.

If you remove the packing (I did) they will be louder but you will lose a little bit of the deeper throaty tone?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

+RO@D*R@GE+

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »

I have the Fullsac set up

DX header with 2.25 SD with no packing in....ride with people with rineharts all the time and they always say how they love the sound of my bike
Deep sound and at full throttle sounds killer...but still quiet on the highway until you get on it!!
much better performance with the fullsac setup over stock....just raced a yamaha cruiser with a 113 CI with air intake and V&H two into one and he couldn't hang on the highway - raced 5x and he lost every time

Don't talk about it....Be about it!!!
2012 cvo road glide maple
Fullsac DX headers
CFR Mufflers
TTS tuner
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 26 queries.