Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: A lot of upper engine noise (ticking)  (Read 7186 times)

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 07FLHTCU
A lot of upper engine noise (ticking)
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »

Last weekend I thought I heard excessive noise just because i had a passenger and the radio volume was not up much.  Weather and work added no additional riding time.  However, today this 110 sounds like crap.  I'm at 29K and the 110 upgrade was done at 15K.  I have a ride from northern Indiana to WV (New River Gorge area) in 7 days.  I run Amsoil.  Should I put up with the ticking and ride on or seeking some professional help?  At idle there is no noticeable noise.  What's a boy to do?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: A lot of upper engine noise (ticking)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »

Last weekend I thought I heard excessive noise just because i had a passenger and the radio volume was not up much.  Weather and work added no additional riding time.  However, today this 110 sounds like crap.  I'm at 29K and the 110 upgrade was done at 15K.  I have a ride from northern Indiana to WV (New River Gorge area) in 7 days.  I run Amsoil.  Should I put up with the ticking and ride on or seeking some professional help?  At idle there is no noticeable noise.  What's a boy to do?

Given your mileage and symptoms, the safe bet would be to do a cam chest and top end inspection...   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:40:09 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »

Last weekend I thought I heard excessive noise just because i had a passenger and the radio volume was not up much.  Weather and work added no additional riding time.  However, today this 110 sounds like crap.  I'm at 29K and the 110 upgrade was done at 15K.  I have a ride from northern Indiana to WV (New River Gorge area) in 7 days.  I run Amsoil.  Should I put up with the ticking and ride on or seeking some professional help?  At idle there is no noticeable noise.  What's a boy to do?

I'm assuming, since you have 29k miles, that this is a new symptom and not the typical noise common to most 110's.  If that assumption is correct, then I submit that any sudden appearance or worsening of a noise is cause for immediate investigation.  If it was supposed to make that noise, it would have done so from day one.

I second the suggestion that you should at least have the valve train inspected before departing on a trip.  There are way too many reports of lifter or cam bearing failures to just ignore this and hope you won't suffer a major failure during your trip.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »

While you have the cam chest out I would replace the lifters and go to adjustable pushrods.  OEM lifters have been know to fail at 20K miles.  OEM cam bearing were also crap.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »

I'm assuming, since you have 29k miles, that this is a new symptom and not the typical noise common to most 110's.  If that assumption is correct, then I submit that any sudden appearance or worsening of a noise is cause for immediate investigation.  If it was supposed to make that noise, it would have done so from day one.

I second the suggestion that you should at least have the valve train inspected before departing on a trip.  There are way too many reports of lifter or cam bearing failures to just ignore this and hope you won't suffer a major failure during your trip.

Jerry

Count me in for the 3rd suggestion prior to your ride, as you want to enjoy yourself w/o the worry of mechanical failure.

Scott

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »

Thanks guys, I guess I knew that was the correct answer all along.  Will try getting into a trusted shop soon.  Thanks again for the input.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »

Trade it in a new one with out the noise.    ;D :ROFLOL:
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

sledge1545

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »

You might want to have the ACR's checked, if the wires are twisted then they are loose. Mine were hitting the bottom of the rocker box.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »

I doubt you have any kind of Dealer warranty, but if they warrantied their work I would have them check it out.  If not I would do as what was recommended as that ticking has a long history in the newer Twin Cams.  It's good insurance to check what was recommended even if you didn't have the ticking due to lifters and other parts that can fail causing major repairs.  You didn't mention if you did your own work or not.  If not personally I would try to find a good reputable shop to do the work.  A few members on this site have had positive results with their HD shop of choice.  Don't count me among them,  this site has taught me that the more knowledgeable people offering advice do their own work.  If not many will go out of there way to find a shop that does quality work without all the usual BS.  My former 110 ticked from day one, now it's on a bench and is as quit as a church mouse.

Good Luck

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »

I got it to the shop this morning (not HD).  When I started cold this morning there was more noise and now a chirping sound that also seemed to be from the top end.  It stop before reaching the shop.  We let it set for 30 minutes and that noise was back.  Glad they were able to hear it.  They will do there best to get at it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Sure would hate to miss this trip we planned.  I'll report back as to what they find.
Thanks,
Dave

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »

Probably a loose clamp on one of your exhaust shields or something simple.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »

Yeah or maybe a lifter roller seized dragging the cam and sending shrapnel through the rest of the motor including the crank bearings

dlg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »

Are you a mind reader.  That is exactly what happened to mine three weeks ago at 29995, 7 days before the warranty was up.  It is now being rebuilt.

David

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »

Are you a mind reader.  That is exactly what happened to mine three weeks ago at 29995, 7 days before the warranty was up.  It is now being rebuilt.

David

He may be a mind reader, but in this case he really didn't need to be.  It's a fairly common problem thanks to substandard parts and design from H-D.  Once it goes from a heavier than usual ticking to a squeal, it's probably too late to avoid a major repair.  This is why you see a lot of folks commenting on the site about checking and replacing lifters at relatively low mileage to try to avoid these failures.  Used to be the old spring loaded cam chain tensioners that would prematurely fail and destroy engines, now it's lifters.  I somehow get the impression Harley doesn't think very many people ever put more than 10k miles on their bikes, so the parts don't need to be robust.  Or they just don't give a chit, take your choice.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 02:33:32 PM »

He may be a mind reader, but in this case he really didn't need to be.  It's a fairly common problem thanks to substandard parts and design from H-D.  Once it goes from a heavier than usual ticking to a squeal, it's probably too late to avoid a major repair.  This is why you see a lot of folks commenting on the site about checking and replacing lifters at relatively low mileage to try to avoid these failures.  Used to be the old spring loaded cam chain tensioners that would prematurely fail and destroy engines, now it's lifters.  I somehow get the impression Harley doesn't think very many people ever put more than 10k miles on their bikes, so the parts don't need to be robust.  Or they just don't give a chit, take your choice.

Jerry
I'm thinking BOTH!

BigLew
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 20 queries.