Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Regret buying a 2013 CVO Ultra :-(  (Read 22962 times)

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Regret buying a 2013 CVO Ultra :-(
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »

. Now back to the topic.........one thing I'm not going to do is look for a problem with the scooter.

Why?  What wrong with you?  ;D
Jesus is Lord

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2013, 11:24:08 PM »

:-\  Funny how things just have a way of sorting themselves out sometimes...

1 week ago today on Father's Day, I had my first motorcycle accident in 40 years of riding. The bike sustained superficial, cosmetic damage and I ended up with a fractured ankle. I would have to say that I was damned lucky - it could have been so much worse. I had sent my seat to Alligator Bob to have the hammock seat slimmed down and was using a reach demo seat from the dealer. The seating position felt great and then this.

I was travelling westbound on a rural highway and met up with a vehicle that was eastbound on a very tight  90 degree corner. I ended up smacking into the car's rear door and kept it upright for another 50-60' until I was able to come to a complete stop and then gently laid her over on the right side engine guard. (See attached pic).

In any event, you know when you reach that point that you and the bike just aren't a good fit....well I am at the point with this bike. I'm sure that it will be great for someone and give them many years of excellent riding....just not me. I am going to get it repaired back to showroom standard and offer it up for sale. PM me if you or someone you know is interested. I am likely going to go back to riding an FLHTK.

it's been an interesting forum - you guys have offered up some good information and I appreciate it.

Take care
Soot

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:31:52 PM by Soot »

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »

Explain yourself! Are you saying that I caused someone else to have an accident in the past ? That's ludicrous....

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2013, 11:29:40 PM »

Of course not. How would you even think that. Just meant maybe you and this bike just weren't meant to be together. FLHTK is a fine ride. Be safe and best wishes on a speedy recovery.    JoeS

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2013, 11:40:04 PM »

Explain yourself! Are you saying that I caused someone else to have an accident in the past ? That's ludicrous....

Maybe in a past life, early 1900's when you got your first H-D.  Remember?
Jesus is Lord

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2013, 11:55:37 PM »

Of course not. How would you even think that. Just meant maybe you and this bike just weren't meant to be together. FLHTK is a fine ride. Be safe and best wishes on a speedy recovery.    JoeS

At first i kinda thought that's what you meant but wasn't sure. I think you might be right....sometimes there's just a poor fit and you know it's time to pass it on to someone else. Thanks for the recovery wishes. Ride Safe!

Mike (soot)

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »

Maybe in a past life, early 1900's when you got your first H-D.  Remember?

Early 1900's I would have likely been riding a Thor or an Indian..... maybe that's the problem - I was meant to buy an Indian Chief lol! just kidding

Soot

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »

Just wondering,

How tall are you?

I am 5'6", and had an '07 Ultra that I was completely comfortable on for the last 7 years, and traded it in for the new '13 CVO Ultra, and I have been having all sorts of comfort issues regarding fit so far, from the bars to the seat height to foot position, etc...
I put my Progressive 940 shocks on which were supposed to lower the bike an inch or so, but don't really feel like it has, and the bars/seat position has made my right hand/fingers go numb.  Noticed it riding home from the dealer the very first ride.
Issues with trying to find a comfortable backrest position and just general fit...
I was planning on trying the Reach seat this weekend actually, and the dealer lowered my bars just a little bit which helped slightly, but I feel your pain, and know, it is typically just a matter of time and money before getting the right parts together to make the bike fit ME.

my old bike was a monster and rode really rough, and this new CVO is smooth as anything, but I do miss the old bike very much, and am having a hard time adjusting to the new one...

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2013, 12:49:56 AM »

Reply to Warlock: 5'9"

Fit is paramount and such a critical component to a happy ownership!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2013, 02:04:18 PM »

Regarding ergo's, as others have mentioned, everyone is different and the MOCO probably has the mathematical overall average pretty well covered. While someone could certainly look at developing some degree of adjustability, the reality is, that's pretty tough when thinking about the bar heights, for example.

The point is, once you get a feel for where YOU personally differ from this 'norm', whatever that might be, then you pretty well know upfront what you will probably need to adjust on a new bike - same or similar model.  For instance, I'm 5'10" with ~33" reach, ~31" inseam, so while the seat and seatback are usually fine, I have switched to the reach bars, which are a little bit taller and pull back a bit too.  That and adjusting the highway pegs a bit makes it perfect.

That known, when I get ready to buy a new one, at the last round of negotiations, I stick in the requirement that they swap the bars or anything else I know I'll need to fit me.  Typically, they will handle those demands pretty readily to clinch a deal, at a much lower cost than you will face after delivery.

Obviously, if you are moving to a totally different model, you owe it to yourself to rent perhaps the Non-CVO version for a day or two to get a feel for where the fit isn't quite optimal.

My .02 fwiw.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »

Your 2cts are valid Mr. Magloo. Thanks for yor input!

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2013, 11:35:26 PM »

It would be nice if you could order the bike with what you wanted, but how would you know? It would be nice if they would give you a choice on bars, seats and windshields when you buy one, but not very cost effective, I guess. Myself, I have a 2012 Ultra CVO and don't have a real problem with the bars or seat. First time I didn't have to change out the seat. Like someone said, you can not make a bike to satisfy everyone. You change it to make it your own. Things like seats, bars, and windshields are personal preferences and will not fit everyone. It would be nice to see what size rider they set their bikes up for.

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »

It would be nice if you could order the bike with what you wanted, but how would you know? It would be nice if they would give you a choice on bars, seats and windshields when you buy one, but not very cost effective, I guess. Myself, I have a 2012 Ultra CVO and don't have a real problem with the bars or seat. First time I didn't have to change out the seat. Like someone said, you can not make a bike to satisfy everyone. You change it to make it your own. Things like seats, bars, and windshields are personal preferences and will not fit everyone. It would be nice to see what size rider they set their bikes up for.

For sure! I'll ask them when I tour the plant in August!

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »

I got news for you...

I took out the Demo Reach seat yesterday, and am not surprised you crashed your bike with it on!!

It sucks big time!
It pushed me forward way too far, and while allowing me to get more flat footed, also made me very uncomfortable with the foot controls to the point of not feeling safe with this seat on the bike...so I rode few a short while, and then went right back to the dealer to give it back to them.

Today, a friend of mine gave me his Stock seat off of his '11 Road Glide (He upgraded to the Hammock seat) and I just put it on my bike, and I have to say, I think I like the regular Ultra Classic style stock seat!  It pushes me forward and down to where I am now Flat footed, and not nearly as forward as the reach seat.  This is just from sitting on it in the garage, but I think I will like it better than the Hammock seat, which made me feel way too high up on the bike.

Just food for thought.  maybe you should ask your dealer to try a regular stock seat on the bike before selling it.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.