Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Brake light not bright enough?  (Read 15289 times)

mmcghee

• Junior CVO Member
Brake light not bright enough?
« on: June 11, 2013, 06:54:50 PM »

When ridding with my ridding buddies they always complain about my brake lights being hard to see.  They say their not bright enough. Anyone else have the same problem? I just ordered Custom Dynamics Magic Brake Light Flasher. Anyone using this product? Also want to add color matched wings with brake lights in them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:56:26 PM by mmcghee »

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: Brake light not bright enough?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »

When ridding with my ridding buddies they always complain about my brake lights being hard to see.  They say their not bright enough. Anyone else have the same problem? I just ordered Custom Dynamics Magic Brake Light Flasher. Anyone using this product? Also want to add color matched wings with brake lights in them.

I get no complaints... they all love the lights and say they are bright!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »

I never hear a peep from anyone  :nixweiss:

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »

I get no complaints... they all love the lights and say they are bright!

Same here.
RETIRED! :fireman:

mmcghee

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »

I will have the wife put on my brakes while i look at them.... Maybe something is wrong with mine....

WVHoop

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012FLHXSE3

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus Antique Gunstock, Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner,V&H True Duals, Turn Down Slip Ons, Windsplitter Windscreen, Mustang Solo Seat, AK-20's, Penske Shocks, WO 575's
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »

I was told last year on the Americas 911 Ride by some buddies behind me that if the sun was low in the sky & hitting the back of the bike just right that it is kind of difficult to see. I don't know, that was the only time anyone ever said anything like that so I've never persued it any further. Good luck coming up with something if you think there's a issue.

mmcghee

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »

I was told last year on the Americas 911 Ride by some buddies behind me that if the sun was low in the sky & hitting the back of the bike just right that it is kind of difficult to see. I don't know, that was the only time anyone ever said anything like that so I've never persued it any further. Good luck coming up with something if you think there's a issue.
Thats about the same issue my friends have with my lights. In the garage they look fine. I like the strobe effect the magic strobe module has so i think it should help.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:04:23 PM »

I've driven or ridden behind quite a few Harley's since 2009 with these rear lights, and at least in daylight I definitely see a difference compared to the "old fashioned" solid red lens incandescent bulb tail/brake lights.  I also have noticed the same thing with many cars btw.  Somehow the manufacturer's have been able to meet the minimum DOT requirements with the cutesy new tail/stop lamps, but at least to my eyes they are NOT as obvious.  The smoked or clear lens units seem to be the worst.

Even if yours are working normally, I'd still recommend adding more lights.  Unless you always run a Tour Pak, which is the ideal location for additional lighting, you could at least add the lights that are available to your bags.  IMHO you can never have too much lighting on the rear of the bike.  Maybe that's because I've had the severe displeasure of being run over from behind in the past.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 05:54:04 AM »

No Problems with seeing the tail lights but my friends say the saddle bag and tour pack ( when I have it on ) lights are brighter than the tail lights.
DND

mitch.smith

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Drk Slate and Blk Diamond
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »

I get no complaints.  I am 100% LED Trucklite Phase 7s and LED front truns

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »

no complaints since adding the custom dynamics module :)   Put it on both the 2011 SESG and the 2013 SERGC.    excellent additions to the bike for 49.00.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »

no complaints since adding the custom dynamics module :)   Put it on both the 2011 SESG and the 2013 SERGC.    excellent additions to the bike for 49.00.

X2  :2vrolijk_21:
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »

Perhaps I'm missing something, but do any of you really want to assume that just because no one has walked up and told you your tail lights and stop lights suck that everything is therefore rosy?  I'm a firm believer in checking it myself, not waiting for someone to think to tell me my lights suck or don't work at all.

Here's a simple test.  Next time you're in a parking lot with a bunch of bikes, have some of the guys with regular lights line their bikes up next to yours and everyone fire them up and let them sit idling.  Now walk about 50 to 100 feet back, turn around and look at all the tail lights.  Try also walking to either side to check the off-angle visibility.  If you do this in daylight, I'm going to guess that at least some of you will notice the same thing I have about those lights.  Or maybe not and I'm just a little more screwed up than usual lately. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »

I have heard this many times from people following me on my bike.  I even added the saddle bag lights.  At night it's not an issue, but during the day my bike stands out better in the sun than the brake lights do.  When leading a group, or if I have a car close on my arse, I use the good ole hand signals to make an additional point of what I am doing.

Here is a video from this weekend my friend shot following me up and down Mt. Nebo in Arkansas.  This was a casual pace with both of my friends never going up the switchbacks.  Look at the down part, I am on the brakes quite a bit, and the sun washes out the lights.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

100HP

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 10:47:16 PM »

Must be my computer, the video seems so blurry that  I can hardly make out you and the bike much less the brake lites.  I have looked at my brake and tail lites lined up with other bikes and they seem fine and more than bright enough.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 24 queries.