Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Hawg Wired / Arc Audio  (Read 5108 times)

jcd520

Hawg Wired / Arc Audio
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »

Between these two can anyone tell me What differences I could expect and even if I would be able to tell the difference.
I know HDDude (Jim from Metal Dragon ) sells and has this HW setup and I also know about Peter Jensen from Soundz Customz.
The price of both systems is about the same so I just am undecided on which way to go-------------but I have narrowed it down to these two, so please , these two choices only---------------opinions please
Bike is a 2012 SERG

Hawg Wired:
3 RC 400 amps
1 powers two DX 574 5x7's in the fairing
1 powers two ZX 654  6.5's in the lowers
1 powers two DX 574 5x7's in the lids
(have been told by some to use the 6.5's in the fairing instead of 5x7 sooooo im open to that)

Arc Audio:
1 125/4channel amp(mini)
two focal 6.5's in the fairing
two focal 6.5's in the lowers
two either HAT  5x7's or Focal 5x7's in the lids
one channel runs the front and one channel runs the lids

Again, is there really a noticeable difference in these two possible setups-------------I will tell you my experience with Hawg Wired on a previous bike was that it seemed to be more of a treble(highs) sound than I like and I did notice that right off. I understand bass is not really able to be produced on a motorcycle at speeds but the Hawg wired(4 in your face ) that I had was definitely on the "BRIGHT " side of things.

My bike will have a standard Fullsac setup and 2.0 baffles for what it is worth noise wise.
Thanks for your educated opinions in advance!!!!!!!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Hawg Wired / Arc Audio
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

Many have had good luck with the Hawg Wired stuff unfortunately I have had more issues than i can count with Hawg Wired.   Yes they made most of it right, but after talking with the owner and his son they were going to make it right and well I got tired of chasing them for their offer.   Hence the reason the roadking has Fosgate amp and hertz speakers.

When I have to do it again wouldnt spend another dime wit h hawgwired and would go focal / arc or rockford fosgate again.   

I know CVOSTU had the arc / focal put in  his 2012 SESG and wow it blows away any configuration of hawg wired I have bought / used or heard.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

jcd520

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »

Now thats the spirit--------------say what you mean and mean what you say!

Thanks for that very honest opinion

I have to admit I have been leaning more towards the Arc setup , just think its more of a high end system and most of the people that have PM'd me seem to feel that way as well. Both parties have been more than willing to discuss it on the phone and are not just Dumba$$ salesmen trying to get my credit card #. I just think the Arc deal is going to be more to my liking . I want volume , clarity , power and as much bass as can be expected at 75mph. I am about half deaf anyway from years of too much noise but I still like my tunes on the highway. This is a great site , I find as I get older I spend a lot more time listening and a lot less time talking and have learned a lot from the folks on this site.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »

I've got a Hawg Wired set that I bought after Hogtunes, gotta say I'm disappointed in both...

Never heard an Arc system, I think you need to find a person that has a system that you like the sound of and buy the same components.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »

As a Hawg-Wired dealer I can tell you that I wish all of my vendors dealt with issues as well as they have for us time and time again. I am not (yet) sure what happened with Harry's system but he did buy them from me back in 2008.....

Back to your question, I can tell you that i have the same setup your are asking about in my Road glide (I used 6.5" in the fairing). Many local members have heard it and can attest to how clean, crisp, clear, and LOUD this system is. I have heard the arc amp and it does not hold a candle to the output of the 3 RS400 amps. Another Huge feature of the HW system is the new remote controller that allows the user to adjust frequency and gain via a wired remote. You can have the fairing all closed up to make adjustments to the systems.

Feel free to call me to discuss further if you'd like.

jcd520

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »

Thanks Jim , I bought my earlier system from you on 5/18/2010 and have to say I was really pleased with talking to you and installing the system was a breeze. No problems there at all. Just can't make up my mind which way to go this time. I sent you an email regarding this some time ago and am still deciding what to do. I may call you and talk to you further about it. The only thing I didn't like about it as I said above was the "treble" overall sound it seemed to have. I talked to them at Hawg Wired the other day at length and even their salesman said that their systems were generally higher pitched , so to speak , than others. However I did not have nor did HW have the 5x7's then or these RS 400 amps. I still have several days before I make my decision as I am in the middle of cam, header and tune install at the moment so I will give a call. Thanks again , Chris Dublin.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:36:49 PM by jcd520 »

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 02:53:30 AM »

Sorry about making you think about something else.  But I tried looking through some of my bookmarks.  But can't seem to find it.  I thought I read somewhere that someone is making subwoofers for the lowers now.  Haven't heard them yet myself.  But if you are looking for more base that might be something to look into.  Before you spend your money. 

There are other subs but they take up room in the saddle bags or tour packs which I have heard them and the kick butt.  But not worth loosing all the space. 

But when your asking about your two systems you have picked out.  To me it appears that the hang wired system would be the best bang for the buck. Your getting 3 very large powerful amps for each of the sets of speakers and not 1 amp for 6 speakers and its not as powerful as even two of the others. 

If I were you I would call hd-dude and go over every thing with him since he is a dealer as well.  I do believe since he is a vendor there may be some type of discount as well.  It won't hurt to ask.  But from the systems I have heard I wasn't disappointed with them with half the stuff your wanting.   And with the new remote adjustments to the amps that you won't need to remove the putter fairing to adjust them after riding.  That would be a big selling feature for me.  I think it would be nice to adjust for,riding two up or solo.  May need to adjust a little between iPod radio and CDs also so will need to,find a happy medium or see how difficult it is to change while on the road.   

The other brand I can't give a fair assessment because I have never heard them.   Or known anyone that has had them yet to tell you about there quality.   

I would,ask around about customer service some more about both brands and add that to your decision as well. 

Heck I didn't help much at all did I.   Sorry Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 04:10:20 AM »

Todd,

"Sorry about making you think about something else.  But I tried looking through some of my bookmarks.  But can't seem to find it.  I thought I read somewhere that someone is making subwoofers for the lowers now.  Haven't heard them yet myself.  But if you are looking for more base that might be something to look into."

You might be thinking of the Hogtunes 7" woofers (not subwoofers) for the lowers.  Have heard they are good, but I doubt you'd be able to hear them while riding.

J&M Corp has Rokker 7.25" woofer kits for the saddlebags that are shallow and take up less space, but they still take up too much space, IMHO.

Hell's Foundry has a true 8" subwoofer that fits in a king Tour Pak.  They're called WoofPaks.  Heard they could just about blow the lid off the Tour Pak.  Most of us prefer to have the TP for storage.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Ride safe!

Dan

jcd520

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »

Thanks again to the both of you , however I will not do subwoofers of any type. Im barely willing to give up the saddlebag space for lid speakers but I probably will (again) .
You don't lose much space with lid speakers but on a long trip( days or weeks ) a couple pairs of pants or jacket or few extra  shirts makes a difference. Not much of an issue for me but --------------well, if you have a wife or girlfriend you know what i mean.

inferno1976

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Road Glide 110th Anniversary #8
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »

I have the Arc system you have listed in your post with the Focal 5x7's in the saddlebags.  I have no regrets with this descision.  I, like you, researched long and hard before deciding.  I have friends with the J&M's, Hawg Wired, Hertz, Rokkers, etc..  This system is very clean and crisp.  You will not be disapointed. Every friend that has the other systems agrees that if they had to do it again, they would get the Arc/Focal set up.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »

One more option for your consideration.

I installed the Rockford Fosgate 300x4 amp, Hertz HSK165's in the dash and HV 165XL's in the lowers. From day one I was just not that impressed. It sounded better than stock, but nothing like I was hoping for. Months or a year later, I contacted Bill at Biketronics to see if he had any Hertz 2 ways to replace my mid-bass in the lowers. My thought was that adding another tweeter would give me "more" sound/volume overall. Once on the phone with him, I ended up buying a BT4180 amp, and new Hybrid Audio speakers for the fairing and lowers. Long story long, just by replacing the amp my system came alive like you wouldn't believe!!! I couldn't believe how much a difference the Biketronics amp made of the RF. MAJOR difference!! I tried the HAT speakers, but the Hertz speakers sounded much better than the HAT's, and they were paid for :-). Bill was very easy to deal with, he took the HAT speakers back and sold me the Hertz 2 ways for the lowers. Now I am running the BT4180 amp, HSK 165's in the dash, and HCX 165's in the lowers. The system is pretty freaking awesome. In the future I may add saddlebag speakers. I talked to Bill about running the front 2 channels to the front 4 speakers, and the rear channels to the saddlebag speakers, which he said would be no problem. I have the front speakers on the front channels, and the lowers on the rear channels, and the fader in the middle and it's perfect. 

The good-

Lifetime warranty on Biketronics
Bill will work with you to get you happy
Great CVO forum discount

The Bad-
no gain controls (which hasn't been an issue at all)
no remote turn on (amp turns on with the key) Don't like this, but again it hasn't been an issue, just don't like it.

This amp rocks!! and lifetime warranty
http://www.biketronics.com/bt4180/

Anyway, it isn't the best system in the world, but it does rock, and worth giving some consideration.

Toddster

• It is what it is

• CVO1: 2012 CVO screamin eagle street glide,107 hp 121tq C&C seat distressed tobacco and ostrich print, orange stitching, rider and passenger backrests Wiseco 10.5 pistons, hot citrus and antique gunstock, heads ported by tman, tts tuner, full-sac pipes 2" cores, tuned by Doc
    • CVO2: 2008 non cvo ultra two tone red, 103 big bore kit, screamin eagle 10.5 to 1 pistons, .3 gasket, screamin eagle factory cnc ported heads, 254e cam, tuner, dynoed, mustang touring seat, 4 focal speakers, arc amp, reinhart slip on, fullsac xpipe,color matched inner fairing, tourpak and bag color matched spoilers, chomed front end, floorboard extenders, luggage rack, hd two in one mirrors, hi intensity led headlight,french bezels on all lights front and rear, chrome levers, derby, primary, timing covers hd collection,oil cooler, hi flow oil pump, 15" windshield
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »

Look at focal's website. They are known for very high end home theater,and carr systems. Great R&D and craftsmanship and components = great sound.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 03:47:45 AM »

i havent really heard any of the new Hawg Wired stuff,, but I cant find anything that sounds as good as the arc 4 channel with focals in the fairing and the lowers,,  The saddlebag speakers do help by adding much wanted more bass...only gonna get so much from a 6-1/2" speaker anyway..  But the Focals are very loud and clear even at 80 plus mph..  I would stay away from Focal saddle bag speakers,,  the will leak and i wasnt too impressed with those...  I do like the HATs though...    Stuart

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »

Focals and Arc here from Soundz,love it.

pat1

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 12:22:28 PM »

What focals are you guys using? What's the model number?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 24 queries.