Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: primary cover with an inspection hole for adjusting the primary chain  (Read 5832 times)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

does anyone make a primary  cover  for the later big twins,that you can adjust and inspect your primary chain,.like the good old days,  before the mo/co  lost there fu***king common sence !!! :confused5:

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs

Just get a Hayden M7 and you'll never need to be concerned about your primary chain tension again. It will always be correct.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Buckeye_Tuning

• Mister Dick
  • Banned
  • Full CVO Member

Baker makes one for late model bikes. 
Never Ever Forget; Never Ever Forgive

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Baker makes one for late model bikes. 

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/bully-primary-cover#

Comes in chrome, black, and wrinkle black.  Roughly $1300 for the chrome cover, or $1500 for the chrome cover with the manual adjuster kit.  I think I'd just do the Hayden tensioner.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited

HD left off the inspection /adjustment access when they introduced the self adjusting primary chain tensioner.  Nothing to adjust.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member

I havent seen any issues with the latest revision of the auto tensioner after they fixed the ramp and teeth angle.

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE

Agree with the others, put in the auto tensioner and quit doing the adjustments. Went this route on my 99 and 03 bikes and was very happy.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

rocrider50

• Let's Ride

• CVO1: 2011 FLHX SE2 Black Diamond Crimson Tag
    • CVO2: 2008 Ultra 105HP

Where's the link for the Hayden tensioner? 
Looking for modification tips for the FLHX SE2 if you have any.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

Where's the link for the Hayden tensioner? 
When inquiring about vendors check our Vendor Discount Board  - The M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"

I havent seen any issues with the latest revision of the auto tensioner after they fixed the ramp and teeth angle.

When was the latest part put out?  I missed hearing anything on this one.  Thx.

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: primary cover with an inspection hole for adjusting the primary chain
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »

Quite some time ago actually.  40063-05B.  I saw issues with the first one also.  Not sure I ever handled the A revision as it wasn't too short lived if I remember correctly.  The B revision has been out quite awhile and I've not had a problem with it.  It's in both the bikes here and was in the red bike.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 01:53:32 PM »

Quite some time ago actually.  40063-05B.  I saw issues with the first one also.  Not sure I ever handled the A revision as it wasn't too short lived if I remember correctly.  The B revision has been out quite awhile and I've not had a problem with it.  It's in both the bikes here and was in the red bike.

Ahh, I assumed this was something more recent.....you know what they say about assuming! 

JW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »

When was the latest part put out?  I missed hearing anything on this one.  Thx.

JW

There have been three versions, the original plus two revisions.

40063-05  -  June 2005

40063-05A  -  November 2006

40063-05B  -  January 2010

The changes had more to do with the strength and durability of the actual tensioner (some early parts distorted and jammed), and the failure to engage the ratchet teeth properly that resulted in loose chains slapping the primary cover.  While the -B- revision seems to have "fixed" actual physical failures and jamming of the mechanism, I don't see anything in the changes so far that addresses the too tight problem.

If you think back to the old manual system on the previous design primary, the chain became tighter as the parts heated up.  The adjustment specs were 5/8-7/8" COLD, and 3/8-5/8" HOT.  In other words, the chain slack was reduced by 1/4" as the parts came up to full operating temperature.   I don't see anything in the current design "auto" tensioner that allows for that tightening of the chain as the parts heat up.  So while the actual tensioners themselves may no longer fail with the latest revision level, the issue of overtightening doesn't appear to have been addressed.  All that extra stress on the chain and other components wasn't unknown to Harley, they had issues before they sold the first Dyna with the new system in 2006.  They originally planned to require a mandatory change of the IPB at 15k miles, and had early purchasers sign a form acknowledging that requirement, but halfway through the model year they dropped the requirement when the initial failure rate wasn't quite as bad as they feared.  Of course we have been hearing about plenty of IPB failures ever since, but Harley has obviously determined that it's cheaper to fix the ones that fail within the warranty period than it is to address the design issues that are the root of the problem.  After all, the average Harley probably doesn't go 2000 miles in a year, so all the MoCo has to worry about is the people who actually rack up some major miles.

JMHO of course - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 01:10:39 AM »

All that extra stress on the chain and other components wasn't unknown to Harley, they had issues before they sold the first Dyna with the new system in 2006.  They originally planned to require a mandatory change of the IPB at 15k miles, and had early purchasers sign a form acknowledging that requirement, but halfway through the model year they dropped the requirement when the initial failure rate wasn't quite as bad as they feared.

JMHO of course - Jerry

I believe that the early ’06 Dyna 6-speeds were manufactured with transmission and primary housings that were not dowelled together. When the mainshaft support bearings of these early machines failed, the repair included an updated transmission and inner primary housing.

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »

Take a look at the M6BT07 at http://Haydensm6.com and cure your primary chain adjusting once and for all. No need to spend money on a new primary cover with an inspection hole. We've been doing this almost 25 years and believe me, we've for lots of these out there. Remember, we're here to help.
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.