Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Premium oil cooler (26157-07) installation on a CVO breakout  (Read 8613 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Re: Premium oil cooler (26157-07) installation on a CVO breakout
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 07:26:48 AM »

Just ordered it. Thanks!

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »

Just received the thermostat as Charlie suggested. Now I need to decide if I am brave enough to open up the oil filter adapter and replace the existing thermostat. What could go wrong?  :nervous:

Has anyone attempted this surgery on the HD premium oil cooler and if so, any words of advice?

Thanks,

Cam

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »

So installed the oil cooler after much procrastination. I did not follow the HD directions exactly, which ended up making it easier than it would have been had I just done the steps as per the instructions.

The first step according to HD was to attach the oil cooler using the c clamps to the frame. I figured I would do that as the last step in order to have more room to get the old oil filter out and put the new oil cooler adapter and oil filter in. I also attached the two hoses to the new adapter before installing it. Then I installed the oil cooler, attached the hoses from the adapter to the cooler and decided I would wait until the next morning (saturday) to 'smoke' test the bike. :nervous:

Saturday morning, got on the bike and went for a ten mile ride, checking the oil filter area as often as I could for any signs of oil leakage, etc. No mishaps. Came back home and checked the oil cooler (hot - yay!!!) and the oil level (needed half a quart - yay again!).

Today went for a 50 mile ride and all is well.

With all the tools I had to purchase (torque wrench, etc) it would have been cheaper to have the dealer install the cooler. But now I have a set of tools for other types of work on the bike and my fear of messing with the bike has been conquered.

Up next, the Kuryakyn swing arm vertical license plate holder.

WA CVO

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE "CVO Breakout"
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE "CVO Limited"
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »

Up next, the Kuryakyn swing arm vertical license plate holder.

Glad the oil cooler install went well!  Congrats!!

I too plan to install the Kuryakyn vert plate mount....only thing I am waiting on is the turn signal stand off for the left side.  I have all the other parts.

--Rob
--Rob

...no matter where you go, there you are!

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »

Me too. I'm told it's on backorder until the first week of August. I guess getting rid of the stock license plate mount is a popular mod.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 24 queries.