Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: 2014 Indian Chief beginning at $18,999  (Read 19810 times)

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
Re: 2014 Indian Chief beginning at $18,999
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »

Because there are many that will say....."Because it ain't a Harley". Some kidding aside, the dealer network or lack thereof is a turn off to some because they are used to having a several dealers less than 50 miles away. The network is growing and if the quality is there as I expect it to be, how often to you need a dealer anyway. That being said, a very non-scientific poll over on HD forums has 60% of people that will buy one as a primary bike, second bike or at least look at them as an option. That's pretty damn high.

On a related thought, I have wonder why any one would buy a 2014 Road King over the 2014 Chief Vintage? A colored RK with security, laced wheels, whitewalls, ABS and freight is only $590 less than a colored Vintage. But the Vintage comes with wide whitewalls, chrome laced wheels, ABS, security, cruise, windshield, chrome lowers, chrome switch housing, a five year warranty and of course the more powerful 111 Thunder Stroke.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »

That is a high percentage of riders who looking for a viable alternative over HD. Regarding a dealer network, I'm not convinced that having a dealership within close proximity is as important as it might be when owning a Harley. The closest Indian dealership to me is nearly 2 hours north in Calgary. But if the new Indians are reliable bikes then distance to a dealership becomes less important. Victory owners claim to rarely if ever have the mechanical,  electrical or heat problems that many Harleys are noted for. I expect the new Indians will be as reliable as the Victory bikes are.         

A machine is a machine.  The best quality products still can have gliches and minor issues.  I guess a lot of the frequency is based on mileage too.  I would trailer a broken bike to a dealer 2 hours away once, the 2nd time would be to trade it in somewhere.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2013, 09:01:12 PM »

That is a high percentage of riders who looking for a viable alternative over HD. Regarding a dealer network, I'm not convinced that having a dealership within close proximity is as important as it might be when owning a Harley. The closest Indian dealership to me is nearly 2 hours north in Calgary. But if the new Indians are reliable bikes then distance to a dealership becomes less important. Victory owners claim to rarely if ever have the mechanical,  electrical or heat problems that many Harleys are noted for. I expect the new Indians will be as reliable as the Victory bikes are.         

Totally agree and it seams the first production bikes started getting into customers hands today. Time will tell on reliability. At least they come standard with a 5 year extended warranty.

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »

Spent some time looking at the Indian at Bikes Blues and BBQ.  Just not my style of bike.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »

Nice looking motors, might add one to the stable next year, Like the brown leather stuff

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2013, 12:39:02 AM »

Anyone know how the new indians are actually selling or still to new to tell?
Alan

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2013, 06:25:47 AM »

Production not keeping up with demand right now. Their first, serialized 1901 bikes were sold in a little over a month. The dealers we originally allowed to order 7 bikes were told they could only have 2 until they filled all the preorders. They are saying it have been a strong global demand, sold 250 in Australia the week they launched.

Thes is anecdotal, but dealers claim to be seeing a lot of Harley trades. About 45% chieftains, 45% vintage and remaining chief classics. The chieftain seems to be selling better that originally expected.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »

MY buddy went to order one and local dealer said delivery date January 2014

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »

Wow - I ordered at the beginning of September and was told 45 days. Must be selling even better than I though for them to be that backed up. I know they are only running 1 shift, might be time to add a second shift to their line.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »

My thought exactly.  IF the quality and reliability is good, like other stuff from Polaris, having several dealerships within 30 miles isn't exactly necessary.  On the other hand, in my experience having four Harley dealerships within a 30 mile radius isn't worth diddly if none of them know how to fix anything or how to treat customers properly.  A huge dealer network that is heavily populated with lousy dealerships isn't exactly a selling point to me. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »

My thought exactly.  IF the quality and reliability is good, like other stuff from Polaris, having several dealerships within 30 miles isn't exactly necessary.  On the other hand, in my experience having four Harley dealerships within a 30 mile radius isn't worth diddly if none of them know how to fix anything or how to treat customers properly.  A huge dealer network that is heavily populated with lousy dealerships isn't exactly a selling point to me. 

Jerry

Once again, the Sage nails it...  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »

I always thought those fenders were ugly, and nothing has changed. Maybe a great bike, I will never know as the looks do not appeal at all. I saw the engines at Bikeweek in Daytona, looks cheap to me, like something Kurakyn would make for a Jap bike.

SanJuanRon

• Full CVO Member
  • Way Up High In The Mountains and Down By The Sea!
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2013, 10:55:14 PM »

Jerry

I would add that my experience with Polaris has been terrible.  I own a RZR (not a Victory or Indian MC) and had a manufacturing defect that impacted most of the early 4-seat RZRs in 2009.  The transmission was rendered useless by the defect and it took nearly six months to get the issue remedied.  It was a nightmare for me and many others that had the same problem.  Does this have anything to do with the Indian?  Probably not, but something to be aware of.  SJ Ron :)
2011.5 FLHTCUSE6, Candy Cobalt & Twilight Blue, HCC 14" Apes, V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe Chrome, Stage 1
2009 FLSTN, Tango Orange, Carlini 17" Flying Apes & High Roller Risers/Air Cover, V&H True Dual Pipes/Fishtails, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed
2005 FLSTCI, Vivid Black, Wild 1 18" Psycho Apes, V&H Big Shot Long Pipes, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed, 21/18 Sinister Wheels

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »

Wow - I ordered at the beginning of September and was told 45 days. Must be selling even better than I though for them to be that backed up. I know they are only running 1 shift, might be time to add a second shift to their line.

i don't know if they are selling better than expected, or if they are just having problems meeting their delivery dates.  i was on the indian forums and there are quite a few people who are very unhappy because they have pre-ordered, and sometimes pre-paid, for their bikes and the 'promised' delivery dates keep getting pushed further and further out.  be interesting to watch.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »

i don't know if they are selling better than expected, or if they are just having problems meeting their delivery dates.  i was on the indian forums and there are quite a few people who are very unhappy because they have pre-ordered, and sometimes pre-paid, for their bikes and the 'promised' delivery dates keep getting pushed further and further out.  be interesting to watch.

Anyone who would completely pay for anything before it's produced and delivered is not the brightest bulb in the box.  Putting a DEPOSIT on something is one thing, as you have recourse if the product is damaged or delivery date is delayed.  Does anyone here still remember the days when you had to wait 6 months on a HD and you didn't even get to choose the color?  And, you paid whatever the dealer wanted you to pay?

My guess would be that demand exceeded expectations, so delivery dates have been pushed back.  Simple explanation and requires no conjecture.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.