Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Erratic Idle  (Read 2011 times)

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
Erratic Idle
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:14:40 PM »

:-/The 2001 SE roadglide has a pre Delphi fuel injection system and is known for issues and I am having one. The idle was too low sometimes allowing the bike to quit running and had the dealership adjust it and now is too high. They have spend major time on it since and feel it is a sensor going out but cannot get it to idle perfect (1000 +/- 50). The dealership is telling me to ride it until whatever sensor goes out completely. Until then I idle sometimes around 750 and after riding for awhile the idle goes up to 1200. Anyone else have or had a similar issue?

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Re: Erratic Idle
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 08:13:58 AM »

Did they check for intake leaks?
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 09:54:53 AM »

:-/The 2001 SE roadglide has a pre Delphi fuel injection system and is known for issues and I am having one. The idle was too low sometimes allowing the bike to quit running and had the dealership adjust it and now is too high. They have spend major time on it since and feel it is a sensor going out but cannot get it to idle perfect (1000 +/- 50). The dealership is telling me to ride it until whatever sensor goes out completely. Until then I idle sometimes around 750 and after riding for awhile the idle goes up to 1200. Anyone else have or had a similar issue?
dakota,

This was a very common issue with the Magnetti-Marelli (I probably butchered that one) bikes, and I would guess that the number one cause was intake air leaks.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:25:13 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:13:39 PM »

Thank you as I will check with the mechanic on these suggestions.

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 09:36:10 PM »

dakota,

This was a very common issue with the Magnetti-Marelli (I probably butchered that one) bikes, and I would guess that the number one cause was intake air leaks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 09:38:00 PM by One_Screamin_Eagle »
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 07:45:38 AM »

The bike has had no recent maintenance and was running great. One morning I started the bike and it decided to quit while warming up as the idle was very low. Took it in to the local HD and they took about three days to look at it. They adjusted the throttle cables and checking all the sensors but came up with nothing. They reset the idle and told me to keep riding it until whatever is screwing up completely goes out. That's what you get for $65 an hour I guess. The idle when it is warm is around 1200 right now. The bike performs great but at idle it is messed up. It still drops to 750 RPM sometimes at morning start. Once it warms up then it is ok starting after sitting for awhile.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 11:14:02 AM »

Look for a leak, on either the intake or exhaust side of things.  Both of these things effect the idle, and often goes away with temperature (leak seals).

I started having erratic idle (mostly slow) on my 04 SEEG.  It actually stalled twice on me, while idling at a red light.  It never had done this before.  I eventually found I had a crack in the rear header pipe.  Replacing the pipe returned the idle to the normal 900 rpm +/- 50.  In the meantime I had made numerous adjustments that I had to undo once I found the leak.  (I can't really take a lot of credit for good detective work in finding the leak...the crack just grew until it became obvious.)  Once fixed, everything returned to normal...

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »

Just a guess but I'd say a bad/going bad sensor. Seems to me they should be able to look at trouble codes and tell but hey, what do I know?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 12:49:31 PM »

Look for a leak, on either the intake or exhaust side of things.

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 04:06:01 PM »

Just talked with the mechanic and they too have a hot line through HD that they pose the problem when they get stuck and the mechanic said he checked for any leaks and there are currently no codes. I guess I will store it away soon and hope it acts up more severly next year and get it fixed. The mechanic's opinion is it is a sensor that is on it's way out but not  bad enough to throw a code as of yet. Thanks for the suggestions all.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 20 queries.