Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: When does the blood letting stop?  (Read 4895 times)

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Re: When does the blood letting stop?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »

Along with the Fullsac X-pipe and TTS Mastertune, I added the Jim's Force Flow and Jagg 10-row Lowmount Oiler Cooler Kit. These mods significantly reduced overall heat but did not eliminate heat. More more tolerable then the heat generated by the 110 without the mods.
124 137HP/147TQ

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Blk Diamond/Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt/Indigo ink
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »

Thanks for all your comments. The bike goes in on Aug 6 to have the TTS installed with a dynotune at Maroney's.
I still prefer beer over cool-aid. 
V&H Power Dual Header
V&H High Output Slip On Mufflers
PV 2

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »

You can thank EPA!  ;)

^this.

OP - a lot of riders on this forum post good results resolving the right side heat issue with a change of header pipes, mufflers and a good tune. However, it has been MY experience after 3 sets of pipes, two different tuners and a dyno tune that the only thing that EVER gives me relief from the heat of the bike is to remove the lower leg fairings during the summer here.  

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Blk Diamond/Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt/Indigo ink
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »

Good point, I have thought about removing the lowers too. It has been pretty hot here in upstate NY lately.
V&H Power Dual Header
V&H High Output Slip On Mufflers
PV 2

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »

CVOhog1, I have an 09SEUC. If you or someone you know is computer smart , I would recommend the Fulsac stage one kit. I put a highflow K&N air filter, and Fusac baffles. Steve at Fulsac will also include a map that you can download to your computer, then upload it to your ECM(before uploading the map download the stock map to  your computer ).  I suggest you buy the parts separately otherwise you be stuck with a non chrome backing plate. Also if you are running the football style air cleaner cover it is a good idea to buy what Harley calls an air cleaner service gasket. It is a thick piece of rubber that is self adhesive to the air filter itself. Then when you bolt your air filter cover back on it should not wiggle. If you have it tight and it still  wiggles then the center of the air cleaner will eventually break off . It happened to me on the freeway I managed to hold onto it with my knee until I could get to the side of the road. I made a metal bracket out of some 1/8th inch stock to give more strength to the front of the air cleaner. It has 4 holes , 3 for attaching to the air filter to the backing plate and one larger hole for the center bolt.(sorry no picture) You may have to get slightly longer bolts where the air filter attaches to the backing plate. I didn't want to chance it by just using the service gasket.  Since I did these modifications I have had no issues with my air filter or cover.The part number for the service gasket is 29591-99. Please find attached the additional part numbers you might need. Naturally I replaced the stock headerpipe with a non Cat header I purchased from someone on the sight. I think that with the above modifications and the stage one kit from Fulsac your bike will run cooler.CAHDBIKER
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:42:04 PM by cahdbiker »

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

HarleyGuy

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »

I picked my '13 CVO S/E Ultra in late September but it was an 80 degree day and the ride home (about 80 or so miles) I noticed no excessive.
The following weekend was much cooler and I did a nearly 500 mile day (round trip) and again no excessive heat.
During the following week or so I put the balance of the first 1,000 miles on the bike and took it in for the checkup. along with the installation of the Rinehart XT True Duals, an SERT and a dyno tune.
I can honestly say that I have yet (the bike is near 5,000 miles) to experience and excessive heat, but it of course gets warmer sitting in traffic but nothing abnormal.
I have a dipstick thermometer and on 80+ degree days, I've checked the oil temp as soon as I stop for gas, or when I get home and it usually reads somewhere between 235-245 degrees, and the engine shows no signs of overheating.

As for the "blood letting", my biggest complaint about my bike was the seating position/handlebar reach!
Getting handlebars changed on these bikes ain't cheap and I think H-D needs to do some customer "clinics" in order to design and build a better fitting bike for their customers. I also think we should be able to choose our own windshield as opposed to having to buy a replacement as soon as we buy one (OEM) that doesn't fit us.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »

Good point, I have thought about removing the lowers too. It has been pretty hot here in upstate NY lately.

I know what you mean, last week was brutal and I think a lot of the heat the BSR and I felt was actually the heat coming up off the pavement. This week the air temperature is about 10 -12 degrees cooler -- but it's still a fun ride to go chasing some shade on our favorite roads after a seemingly long work day.

Hey! It's a new attraction at the fun park -- the Shade Chaser   :huepfenlol2:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »

I'm just going to slap some FLTRXSE2 tank emblems on a new Gold Wing F6B and call it quits.   :o
Jesus is Lord

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 10:48:54 PM »

I'm just going to slap some FLTRXSE2 tank emblems on a new Gold Wing F6B and call it quits.   :o

I am not sure what tuner you are going to use to get that Harley sound out of it though.   ;D

18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »

I am not sure what tuner you are going to use to get that Harley sound out of it though.   ;D

I have a friend who put 6-into-6 pipes on his old Valkyrie.

It's LOUD, but doesn't sound like Harley... Sounds more like the Carillon Of HELL!.

Riding behind it is weird, because you hear the sound of six different pipes intermingling in the wind!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »

Maybe disconnect some ignition coils   :nixweiss:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »

That's what I was thinking, but then I realized that'd just get ya a BMW.  :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Glenncarp

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 09:06:05 PM »

If you installed the power duals and new mufflers without a tuning device of any type then surely the bike is running way to lean and therefore way to hot. As you state you're not new to this game and no offence meant but you probably know better than to change mufflers and headpipes without a tuner - the ECM can only make adjustments for minor changes (like maybe different slip-on mufflers) and changing the headpipe and removing the cat is not within the realm of minor changes.
 Also just by changing the head pipe and removing the cat you have potentially jeopardized the factory warranty -- depending on the dealers' relationship with you.

But as to them not wanting to install a tuner is IMHO total BS on their part - did that statement from them also include HD creamin' Eagle tuning devices? I think a visit to one of those other dealers that will install the tuning device of your choice is advisable at this point. I would personally stay away from any "piggyback" type units , and my personal choice was the TTS (I also went with the Fullsac stage 1 treatment on my '11 CUSE6).

As to cost, well the cost of the bike was just the cost of admission to the HD fun park.

Sorry couldn't resist that last line ;)

I seriously investigated the tuner issue when I was adding my true dual Rinharts. I was VERY surprised to read in a non Harley publication that next to Power Commander, the HD Race tuner was next in favorable ratings. They ranked it over every other tuner aside from the Power Commander. Have had it installed for 2 years now and I do not notice a  heat issue and never a performance issue.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »

Easy - record it to a CD, and let it play in a loop!

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »

I wish I had done more research on these bikes.
Too bad that you didn't lurk on this site for a while before buying...  The heat issues and mitigating solutions have been hot topics (pun intended) for many years.  I fell into the same hole with my first CVO Ultra, having to invest in pipes, mufflers, and a tuner after I thought I had spent as much as was possible for any one motorcycle.  Turned out that it was just the tip of the iceberg!  When I bought my CUSE8 in November, I was at least aware of the hazards ahead, and wrapped all of the upgrades (and extended warranty) into the purchase price.  Either way, it had to be done.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 24 queries.