Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Mastertune Question new Trike  (Read 12800 times)

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
TTS Help Needed/ New Trike
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »

Ok, decided to start a new thread about this.  I have a new Tri-Glide that I am trying to tune.  I have an Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air kit, Fullsac X-Pipe B with adapter, and stock mufflers.  I've done 4 VTune runs now, adjusting the tune a bit each time.  I haven't yet messed with any timing things as I want to make sure I get the AFR right first.  Is there someone out there chit hot with the Mastertune that would be willing to look at my files and see if I am doing this anywhere near correctly?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: TTS Help Needed/ New Trike
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »

Ok, decided to start a new thread about this.  I have a new Tri-Glide that I am trying to tune.  I have an Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air kit, Fullsac X-Pipe B with adapter, and stock mufflers.  I've done 4 VTune runs now, adjusting the tune a bit each time.  I haven't yet messed with any timing things as I want to make sure I get the AFR right first.  Is there someone out there chit hot with the Mastertune that would be willing to look at my files and see if I am doing this anywhere near correctly?
No need to start a new thread looking for the same assistance... they have been merged.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

Re: Mastertune Question new Trike
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 12:29:31 PM »

Okee Dokee, no prob.  Just figured it was enough different to be a separate topic  ;-)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »

I would contact Mr. Wizard here. He has a '12 Tri Glide and is truly a TTS Wizard. He has tuned dozens and dozens of bikes using the TTS... including mine.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

TheBobs

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »

+1 on Wiz.  He can help a lot.  He got me started, patiently answered a ton of newbie questions, and helped me with my 2010 TG and how to tune in the SE-255 in the heat with 91 octane California gas ;) :2vrolijk_21: 

Wiz, I think you're on to something about the football.  I've seen the creeping/high IAT and worried that it could be a side-effect from the two fan systems when at slow speeds.  Once it's heatsoaked, it doesn't like dropping back down.  I'll make some comparison ScanData runs with and without the football.  It's gonna be 101 deg when I get off work today  >:(

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 12:46:08 PM »

PM sent to Mr Wizard.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »

Do you have any comments as to the run-quality as of now?
Throttle response throughout the rpms?
Steady-state smooth cruise?
Fuel mileage?
Minimal decel backfiring?
Without a way to sample actual exhaust output run-quality is a good way to determine tune quality.

Bob

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »

Throttle response is good. Fuel mileage is up a bit. No decel backfire as of yet since the latest tune.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2013, 08:45:09 PM »

Throttle response is good. Fuel mileage is up a bit. No decel backfire as of yet since the latest tune.
:2vrolijk_21:
Hopefully others with trikes will also benefit from this thread!
Bob

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2013, 08:54:08 PM »

I spent several hours on the phone with Dr Wizard last night and utilized some of what I remembered today to get my tune just a bit better.  I think one more run and I am done, but I am convinced that the VE tables are about as good as they can get before Flight Recorder comes out.  After some explanation of what's coming, I'll wait for that release to do any timing changes.

Funny...I have a lot of people that come to me for tuning advice.  Quite a few have gone with the Mastertune, at my suggestion, and then learned to VTune themselves with a lot of trial and tribulations.....I've never VTUned before, and I learned more last night than I ever thought I'd know about the Mastertune and associated stuff.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »

I spent several hours on the phone with Dr Wizard last night and utilized some of what I remembered today to get my tune just a bit better.  I think one more run and I am done, but I am convinced that the VE tables are about as good as they can get before Flight Recorder comes out.  After some explanation of what's coming, I'll wait for that release to do any timing changes.

Funny...I have a lot of people that come to me for tuning advice.  Quite a few have gone with the Mastertune, at my suggestion, and then learned to VTune themselves with a lot of trial and tribulations.....I've never VTUned before, and I learned more last night than I ever thought I'd know about the Mastertune and associated stuff.
...and it will never be a plug and play deal because of the unlimited parts combos available with a plethora of design variances.
Bob

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »

...and it will never be a plug and play deal because of the unlimited parts combos available with a plethora of design variances.
Bob

And that's why VTune exists... to get the VEs - and soon other things like timing, EGR, etc. - dialed in properly for each particular bike.

Two bikes with identical equipment will need slightly different VE tables and other settings, due to manufacturing tolerances across all of different parts in the engine. No two bikes breathe exactly the same. Canned maps are great starting points for tuning - but they will never be spot on for any particular bike, except the bike they were built on.

Wiz has quite patiently "put up" with me as I have changed cams, pipes, air cleaners, head gaskets, cam plates/oil pumps, lifters, rockers, etc. in the Honey Badger at different times! Not all of these parts really affect the tune all that much... but cams and pipes sure do! The bike even breathed differently when I went from the stock Ventilator A/C to the Ness Big Sucker Stage 2.

I am looking forward to retuning with the new TTS 3 flight recorder and timing assist. I think my timing is definitely not yet right for my build, and I'm hoping to get more power soon. I may go to 5.3 injectors, and maybe even a 58mm TB, before the retuning. Lets see if Wiz notices I said that... :P

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »

I may go to 5.3 injectors, and maybe even a 58mm TB, before the retuning. Lets see if Wiz notices I said that... :P

Ken

I think you should go ahead and pull the pin on that hand grenade bottom end and get what you really want.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »

I think you should go ahead and pull the pin on that hand grenade bottom end and get what you really want.

LOL! Well, the warranty is done on Aug 26 anyway... so I suppose the bottom end will going to Darkhorse or T-Man this winter anyway. Might as well get the heads done at that point, too... and forged hi-comp pistons... and injectors... and TB... and etc...

Or maybe just say SCREW IT and get an S&S 124 for next season! :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »

LOL! Well, the warranty is done on Aug 26 anyway... so I suppose the bottom end will going to Darkhorse or T-Man this winter anyway. Might as well get the heads done at that point, too... and forged hi-comp pistons... and injectors... and TB... and etc...

Or maybe just say SCREW IT and get an S&S 124 for next season! :2vrolijk_21:

Ken
I'm thinking the bigger the engine and more efficient down low...the less radiated heat?
Bob
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.