Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: I'm about done with the POS Harley Drive Train  (Read 16041 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: I'm about done with the POS Harley Drive Train
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 04:43:20 PM »

Well, you sure as heck don't want to let Scott throw more power at it until you get it figured out! :o

I don't have anything like what you describe.  Still running the stock tensioner and 9,000 miles on the compensator.  Bike is buttery smooth at all speeds.

You're killing me! "Buttery Smooth"
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »

:oops: :huepfenlol2:  Syn 3 across the board, too! :P

It might implode on itself tonight, but so far, so good! :huepfenjump3:

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »

I guess all brands have problems. I rode a trip with a BMW along recently. Every morning that darn thing started and sounded like a box of rocks were in the crankcase! Once the oil got up is was quiet, but on cold start up is was worse than any HD I've heard.
Sorry that you are having problems!

I have a BMW R1200 GS with the boxer engine, my off highway bike. I hold my breath every time I crank it until the oil starts flowing to the heads, sounds like it may fly apart. Darn thing has 92K on it and I expect it will keep on running for a while if I take care of her, I know people with over 400K on them. Have to adjust the valve clearance every 6K or so along with the usual maintenance but it is darn near bullet proof. BTW, not many my beemer friends know I have a Harley and vice-versa, keep it under your hat.

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 11:20:44 PM »

Did you check your drive belt tension ? If it's too tight, you'll hear a clunking noise when you get on and off the throttle.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »

I guess I just need to sell this POS! Too many potential issues or poorly designed components in the drivetrain.

I think you should sell it too!!!
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member
Re: Re: I'm about done with the POS Harley Drive Train
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 02:45:06 PM »

I have seen zero issues with the -06b primary chain adjusters since they fixed the teeth angles.  Do you take longer highway trips or more around town stuff? This makes a difference with the compensator wear.
I am wanting to see how the compensators are doing with the new A&S clutches in the 13s.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »

Update!

I have checked the belt tension. It's not tight.

I did stop by Syrdyke HD today to speak with my brother's contact there (parts & service manager) about the compensator. Since I had time and needed a front tire.

He said: "I wouldn't even worry about until August 19th". He said HD is supposed to release a fix to the compensator issue then.

Haven't heard that here. Anybody hear of this?
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »

My 13 CVO Ultra has this same problem. A small bump in the road can make your hand shift on the throttle and then there is a big clang when you get back into the throttle. Reminds me a lot of a rear end with too much back lash. Mine is going in next week for its 10 K service and I am going to have all those things checked.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 01:21:07 AM »

Don't these bikes have champhered slots in the clutch basket that are designed to take shock out of the primary? Someone mentioned it to me but I remembered. They can wear out.
Ltank

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 05:16:29 AM »

Update!

I have checked the belt tension. It's not tight.

I did stop by Syrdyke HD today to speak with my brother's contact there (parts & service manager) about the compensator. Since I had time and needed a front tire.

He said: "I wouldn't even worry about until August 19th". He said HD is supposed to release a fix to the compensator issue then.

Haven't heard that here. Anybody hear of this?
So does that mean a recall due to faulty parts  :oops:

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 08:19:59 AM »

More likely an upgrade service bulletin that applies only if the customer expresses a concern, chances of a recall slim to none lol

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »

So does that mean a recall due to faulty parts  :oops:

:ROFLOL:    Sure, right after they recall the 1999-2006 models for cam chain tensioners and trashed oil pumps, 2007-current Twin Cams for floppy cranks, primary tensioners, cam bearings, and the list goes on and on.  That's not how Harley does business.  The way Harley does business is to release supposedly "new and improved" parts in the catalog and let the customer pay to buy and install those parts.  Case in point, new lifters and cam bearings in the 2013 CVO110, but not being retrofitted to earlier models unless the customer does it themselves.  Same thing happened with the compensators prior to 2010-2011, with the SE compensator finally becoming standard equipment only after Harley made everyone buy one themselves for the first several years.  And even that one was still a POS, just not as big a POS as the original design.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Harley to do the right thing; odds are you will pass out long before Milwaukee notices all it's customers are turning blue.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »

:ROFLOL:    Sure, right after they recall the 1999-2006 models for cam chain tensioners and trashed oil pumps, 2007-current Twin Cams for floppy cranks, primary tensioners, cam bearings, and the list goes on and on.  That's not how Harley does business.  The way Harley does business is to release supposedly "new and improved" parts in the catalog and let the customer pay to buy and install those parts.  Case in point, new lifters and cam bearings in the 2013 CVO110, but not being retrofitted to earlier models unless the customer does it themselves.  Same thing happened with the compensators prior to 2010-2011, with the SE compensator finally becoming standard equipment only after Harley made everyone buy one themselves for the first several years.  And even that one was still a POS, just not as big a POS as the original design.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Harley to do the right thing; odds are you will pass out long before Milwaukee notices all it's customers are turning blue.

Jerry

This is how HD reduces their R&D testing expense and gets real world testing.  If it fails it is the customer's fault and they are off the hook for the repair.  And if anything else goes because the SE compensator fails it is the customers fault for making modifications that voids their warranty and they don't have to cover it.

It really is a well designed "Catch 22" for the customer and a win-win for HD shareholders and executives.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »

:nixweiss:
Willie............have ya looked at this post regarding the Beemers......

Re: CHP going back to Harley Davidson

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spoke with the owner, who said California was not satisfied using BMW anymore.  THE COST TO MAINTAIN THE BMWs WAS PROHIBITIVE.  Apparently, the Beemers were having transmission issues, along with other problems, and they were too expensive to maintain.  CA tested several bikes for reliability, including Kawasaki.  They found the HD with the 103 to be the most reliable and cheapest to maintain.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »

You know, there is something about these bikes. I noted above I got a new tire yesterday and the dealer told me about something coming out on the compensator August 19th.

Well I couldn't resist so I added a new Agitator air cleaner. Hmmm, maybe I like this POS more than I think?  ;D

Sorry about the pic. My IPad somehow rotates the picture.  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:30:58 AM by willyB »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.