Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: CHP going back to Harley Davidson  (Read 6785 times)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
Re: CHP going back to Harley Davidson
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »

I knew there had to be a lot more to the story! I still have a copy of all the issues with HD when they went to the BMW's! I hope it works out for Harley, but based on what some of my friends have had problems with in the last two years, I'm thinking not.
The "TAZMUN"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »

A large number of the CHP motors are quite disappointed with this change, and it's going to drastically change how a CHP motor does their job. Due to performance limitations, fewer speeding tickets will be given, and more cell phone, DUI, registration, loud pipe, etc stops will be made.

It doesn't matter how slow the bikes are....still very hard to out run those radios.   :huepfenlol2:

I know that we have several CHP officers as well as other California LEOs on this forum.  While I'm not at liberty to divulge their identity, I am curious how they feel about switching back to Harleys....you guys can PM me.  Especially since you guys are already riding them. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »

Would love to see statistics regarding maintaining a fleet of 110 cu. in. engines. Realize a public entity is not going to buy Screamin Eagles.

I believe the 103" motors were more reliable.  I could be wrong.  Some of the wrenches on this forum could offer a more educated guess.  :nixweiss:

I do know that many other law enforcement agencies buy their bikes based on what the CHP do.  This was a big issue of concern for the MoCo back when they were on the verge of loosing out on the contract (and eventually did).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:06:17 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »

"Partially true. Yes the BMW was cost prohibitive, but that's because the typical motor had 100k+ miles on them. The issues that the motors were having were related to mileage more than any other factor, in my opinion.

The CHP evaluation did not include the Kawasaki, as Kawasaki Authority Sales doesn't currently sell motorcycles that are intended for police use. They were discontinued last year, and have yet to resume sales. Keep in mind, in 2012, Kawasaki Authority Sales was the choice of the CHP, but due to a dealer being unable to fulfill the terms of the contract, a 2013 RFP was sent out.

The 2013 RFP was declined by BMW (they declined to work with the state of CA). Honda doesn't meet the requirements of the CHP. Victory doesn't meet the requirements of the CHP. Kawasaki is unable to sell police motors. So that left Harley, who bid $1 per year for a lease. California must choose the lowest bidder that meets the requirements. Because of Harley being the only bidder, even though they didn't meet the requirements out of the gate, the state modified the requirements to allow Harley to meet them.

A large number of the CHP motors are quite disappointed with this change, and it's going to drastically change how a CHP motor does their job. Due to performance limitations, fewer speeding tickets will be given, and more cell phone, DUI, registration, loud pipe, etc stops will be made."
Posted on: Today at 01:54:50 AM

Sounds more realistic.  I was relaying what the owner of Oakland HD told me, which was probably influenced a little by his "salesman instinct".  He did specify Kawasaki was tested, and had stators burning out frequently.  I wonder if he was talking about testing from previous years?  

Just out of curiosity, what are the requirements that California has for police bikes that Honda and Victory didn't meet?  Electronics?  Paint?  Bad ass reputation?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:02:28 AM by lilcoot »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »

Turning radius might have been an issue with the Victory bikes

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »

Turning radius - thats funny!
I have always thought that the tax payers money should be spent on American products - period. This is good news.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »

Yes, I think they have the same exhaust as civilian bikes. I know some PDs like Oakland have changed their mufflers to D&D Police Interceptor slip ons.

I have modified more than a few sets of mufflers for Vegas motor officers. They say the locals seem to show more respect for
a black and white bike with rumble that's splitting lanes. I would.

Maybe I can get a contract!

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »

I have modified more than a few sets of mufflers for Vegas motor officers. They say the locals seem to show more respect for
a black and white bike with rumble that's splitting lanes. I would.

Maybe I can get a contract!

SG

Steve, is that on the 103" motors?

Those of us that have owned both know that the 103" is a lot cooler running in hot weather than the 110"....that's for sure.

West Coast GTG   

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »

Steve, is that on the 103" motors?

Those of us that have owned both know that the 103" is a lot cooler running in hot weather than the 110"....that's for sure.

The Vegas Guys were riding 103s then, its been a few years.

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »

Because of Harley being the only bidder, even though they didn't meet the requirements out of the gate, the state modified the requirements to allow Harley to meet them.

Thus endeth the lesson..............................if the bike don't fit, you have to acquit!  :oops:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 02:50:52 AM »

Same in Korea. They tried BMW for a couple years and are back to Harleys again.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »

Same in Korea. They tried BMW for a couple years and are back to Harleys again.

Now that is cool.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.