Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Andy's School of scatter graphs  (Read 25865 times)

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Andy's School of scatter graphs
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2013, 08:26:53 AM »

As a side note, I never test any system I tune with AE turned off.  Sometimes I do turn it down a little, compared to what I think the final settings will be.   The need for AE never goes away, why would you ever want to turn it off?

I tend to shoot for about a 20% increase in PW for about .1 sec in fairly rapid increases in MAP on most motors.

Look at the bottom trace in white.  Right when I punch the motor, you can see the PW jump up and then settle into the VE table.  note that the intire trace there is only 1.6 sec as shown at the bottom.  This stuff happens fast.

Notice that in that test the AFR went lean but the RPM picked up instantly.  It is hard to test that looking at just one punch.  In the skis I tend to do thirty and then look at this stuff in scatter plot.  I create a new field named RPM/SEC and then plot that in color.  More RPM/SEC immediately after the throttle stab is the goal.  A drop in RPM right after the stab is a disaster.

In the race cars, I tend to ask the driver "How are the shifts?" before he even gets out of the belts.  If he flinches, I go straight to the logs.

Have fun tuning.

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »

Looks like increasing AE would help that lean shot.
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »

The AE on that program is a little lame.  Big changes in exhaust flow in a hurry are always a little suspect.

Andy

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2013, 07:31:26 AM »

This plot has a wealth of basic information of how EFI really works.  This motor is jumping back and forth from about 3500 to about 7800 in about .4 of a sec.

The spikes in the PW at about 1243 sec is the acceleration enrichment coming in.

http://www.ncs-stl.com/pc5wb/MAP%20vs%20PW%20Blower%20Motor.png

Andy
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:34:05 AM by whittlebeast »

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »

This plot has a wealth of basic information of how EFI really works.  This motor is jumping back and forth from about 3500 to about 7800 in about .4 of a sec.
Would you please circle the .4 sec you are referring to. Pointing or circling what you are referring to will help a lot!
Thanks,
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:27 AM »

Simply look at the scale at the bottom of the screen.  it goes from 1234.5 sec to 1247.975 sec.   You are looking at a total of 13.5 sec in that screen shot.

You can see at the top of the screen where I jumped on it three times.  Twice I nailed it fairly quickly.  The middle time the throttle was a little more gradually rolled on.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »

Simply look at the scale at the bottom of the screen.  it goes from 1234.5 sec to 1247.975 sec.   You are looking at a total of 13.5 sec in that screen shot.

You can see at the top of the screen where I jumped on it three times.  Twice I nailed it fairly quickly.  The middle time the throttle was a little more gradually rolled on.
Sorry Andy but I don't see the .4 sec you are referring to. As asked numerous times in the past, circling the point on the graph you are referring to would make understanding (by me...the blind) your statements a bit clearer to me the lame.
Not sure why you refuse to do so.
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »

The time involved and the link is often posted several times with different points.

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »

Sorry Andy but I don't see the .4 sec you are referring to. As asked numerous times in the past, circling the point on the graph you are referring to would make understanding (by me...the blind) your statements a bit clearer to me the lame.
Not sure why you refuse to do so.
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2013, 01:11:38 PM »

Bob. Try a refresh.  In the purple box is the huge jump in RPM.

AE (Acceleration Enrichment) shows up in the Red box as a very fast spike in PW.

I don't have the raw data log here to measure the time.  I just thought "that's rather cool" when I saw it.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »

Bob. Try a refresh.  In the purple box is the huge jump in RPM.

AE (Acceleration Enrichment) shows up in the Red box as a very fast spike in PW.

I don't have the raw data log here to measure the time.  I just thought "that's rather cool" when I saw it.

Ok, I think you meant to say the engine accelerates from 3500 to about 7800 in about .4 sec? (Where you circled)
Not hard to understand, especially with a jet ski..

Not sure about the "back and forth" statement and it confused me.

AE is usually only for a fraction of a second so it will always look like a blip from my experience.

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »

Has anyone ever looked into how the Torque Limiting on the DBW bikes works?

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »

Has anyone ever looked into how the Torque Limiting on the DBW bikes works?

Andy
Yes. Steve Cole. Been working with it since it first came into being as he was still working with HD when the TBW first showed up.
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »

Did you personally verify how it worked?  DWL response logic, timing changes per gear...

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »

Did you personally verify how it worked?  DWL response logic, timing changes per gear...

Andy
Do you mean did I question SC's explanation on how it works? No.
Bob
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.