Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: selling my 08  (Read 5323 times)

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

selling my 08
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but here it goes. I'm selling my 08 CVO to purchase a 14 limited.  I advertised in various places, Craigs list, cycle trader, etc. hoping to get a local buyer, but I got someone texting me from L.A. wanting to buy my bike and paying me through PayPal. He doesn't want to talk on the phone because he said he's hard of hearing
and prefers texting.  I showed him one pic. taken from my phone and all of a sudden he wants to send me $25,900 via pay pal, a.s.a.p. To me, this sounds a little fishy. I don't do a lot of business through paypal, especially for this kind of money, so I'm a little leery about this deal. Does this sound like a scam? To me it does.  I guess I need some advice from someone who sells a lot of big money items using paypal.

My feeling is to text him back and ask for a certified check, and when it clears I will send him a title.
 :confused5:
Ray Z
RayZ

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
Re: selling my 08
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:36:56 PM »

sounds like a scam to me
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »

Trust your instincts... if it raises concern it probably is a scam. Don't do it!!!

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »

If I may quote Steve Miller... "Go on take the money and run".

I never sold anything (just purchased) using PayPal, so I can't advise.  However, if you can get that much for your bike I would grab it and see how soon you can have it transferred to your bank account.  I really don't have any idea how this kind of thing works, but I'm sure someone on this site can assist.

Good luck with the sale.

PS - Just wondering why you're not trading your bike with the dealer on the '14?  What did they offer you?
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:31 PM »

As long as he is registered with PayPal and they clear the money to your account you are safe. DON'T exchange any paperwork with him until PayPal OK's. I would say its a scam, but if he sends the money..........
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 06:49:38 PM »

As long as he is registered with PayPal and they clear the money to your account you are safe. DON'T exchange any paperwork with him until PayPal OK's. I would say its a scam, but if he sends the money..........

Oh yea, And don't take his word for it and DON'T go to any link that he sends you!!!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »

I thought I would try to sell it on my own for the simple reason, to get a couple of thousand more.  I put a deposit on a bike, but it won't come in until mid OCT, so I have some time.  My instinct tells me this is some kind of scam
He wants to do this quickly and mentions nothing about shipping :nixweiss:, and doesn't want to talk on the phone.

RayZ

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »

Trade in ranged between $19,000 and 21,500. I still have to bring it to the dealer I ordered the new bike from to get a quote from them.  They told me if I changed my mind they would give my deposit back.
RayZ

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »

Scam!

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »

Sure sound like a scam in the making. This was one of the reasons I traded my '06 ULTRA(non CVO) in when I purchased the FLHTCUSE6.

I hate dealing with tire kickers and scam artists, and all the fools who call say they want to see the item - then never show up at the appointed time/place.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 08:36:45 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but here it goes. I'm selling my 08 CVO to purchase a 14 limited.  I advertised in various places, Craigs list, cycle trader, etc. hoping to get a local buyer, but I got someone texting me from L.A. wanting to buy my bike and paying me through PayPal. He doesn't want to talk on the phone because he said he's hard of hearing
and prefers texting.  I showed him one pic. taken from my phone and all of a sudden he wants to send me $25,900 via pay pal, a.s.a.p. To me, this sounds a little fishy. I don't do a lot of business through paypal, especially for this kind of money, so I'm a little leery about this deal. Does this sound like a scam? To me it does.  I guess I need some advice from someone who sells a lot of big money items using paypal.

My feeling is to text him back and ask for a certified check, and when it clears I will send him a title.
Ray Z
Paying through paypal isn't the issue even though they take a % of the payment like a credit card company. Rest of it sounds mighty fishy.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »

100% SCAM!!!!

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »

Scam!  It would cost more than I would want to spend to go through pay pal on that much money.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:10:32 PM »

with paypal they can pay you , then file a complaint with paypal and get the money back - thus having the bike and the cash

and you get to pay the fees to boot

paypal is a good thing - and the guy could be stone deaf and cant use the phone  - it could be true - but it sure sounds like a scam

to

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »

Ray Z

Ray

I sold an 09 SERG earlier this year.   Had that exact scam tried on me.  Just ignore em.  BTW  bogus certified checks are prolific. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.