Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Just Curious with no Agenda; it will happen to Us All..  (Read 12420 times)

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
Just Curious with no Agenda; it will happen to Us All..
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:34:51 PM »

I have over the months been reading threads of guys putting their bikes up for sale for good.  Meaning they are hanging up their "gloves".  The reasons are not always provided, but some are such as:  I have lost my confidence, I'm getting too old, I've had great luck (no accidents) so maybe it's time to quit, obvious one - medical issues, etc.  The questions I have are many.  This really intrigues me as I am not a spring chicken, but in good shape, haven't been riding my whole life so I have a lot to learn still..but I sometimes have it in my head maybe I started too late and "what the heck was I thinking?"  I use my bike only for recreation, not transportation.  I know everyone is unique, but still it would be great to hear some thoughts on this subject from my CVO brothers and sisters...let me finish by saying every time I see my bike in the garage it gives me pleasure, and I try to ride at least weekly, and I am very lucky to have a wife of over 37 years who never says no and loves to be my BSR which in itself is quite amazing.  But sometimes honestly I think about the worst happening with her on the bike.  I don't dwell on it but I have to say it is in the back of my mind.  So guys, would very much like to hear your words of wisdom. What are your plans for the future?

Thank you!
Stan

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
Re: Just Curious with no Agenda; it will happen to Us All..
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »

I believe as long as your able to ride your bike safely go for it .GOD will take you when he needs you no matter where your at .

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:10:06 PM »

Hey Stan, I have bin riding since I was 9 years old ( so that's like 35 years now ) And I have lots of friends who just recently picked it up.  I tell you one thing,  riding is a very emotional pass time and the emotions and feeling my newbie riders friends exude are pretty much the same as what I feel every time I ride. So my point being, even if you started riding in your later years the emotions and feeling you have experienced are universal to every rider out there. That "itch" when you see a bunch of riders go by when you are a pedestrian, cant be explained in words to some one. It has to be in you as a rider. As a rider we are open to each other like no other group of people in the world. It is a instant connection and a commonality, a brother hood sort of speak. If experience that even for a short while, you are richer for it, and lucky to have lived it.

As far as getting older and hanging up the helmet goes, there are always trikes!! Don't worry we will understand. Cheers.    ;D
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »

Health permitting - and good health so far - I plan to keep on riding Honey Badger until I simply can't ride on two wheels anymore.

Then I'll convert her to a trike and ride on! Hopefully that's a ways down the road.

I'm not ever going to stop riding until I simply CAN'T ride anymore. Then I'll get one of those little motorized shopping cart things and go terrorize the MALL in leathers and a doo rag!

Oh, and having a wife who likes to be your BSR... PRICELESS!!!

RIDE ON, my friend!

Ken
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:41:32 PM by North Georgia Hawg »

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »

Health permitting - and good health so far - I plan to keep on riding Honey Badger until I simply can't ride on two wheels anymore.

Then I'll convert her to a trike and ride on! Hopefully that's a ways down the road.

I'm not ever going to stop riding until I simply CAN'T ride anymore. Then I'll get one of those little motorized shopping cart things and go terrorize the MALL in leathers and a doo rag!

Oh, and having a wife who likes to be your BSR... PRICELESS!!!

Ken

+1
and of course my little scooter gizmo is gonna have flames painted on it to make it faster
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »

+1
and of course my little scooter gizmo is gonna have flames painted on it to make it faster

Well, I FIGURED that would go without saying. The flames would be a GIVEN!

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:03:49 PM »

Then I'll get one of those little motorized shopping cart things and go terrorize the MALL in leathers and a doo rag!

Ken

I'll drag with ya to the place with the chocolate chip cookies!  There's probably not an open container law that applies to those things either....  ???

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »

I'll drag with ya to the place with the chocolate chip cookies!  There's probably not an open container law that applies to those things either....  ???

They'll never see us comin, and they'll never know what HIT 'em, Don!  :cool26:

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 10:10:34 PM »

They'll never see us comin, and they'll never know what HIT 'em, Don!  :cool26:

Ken

Might need both hands to drive by then.   So will have to get one of those hats with the straws that come down.  :drink:

Hmm, I've never had any desire to hang LEDs all over a street bike.  But I'd ILLUMINATE one of these bitches for the mall !

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »

That's the future, which I have no control of. All I can do is live today, ride today, and let the future reveal itself to me one day at a time.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »

A few years ago during the Sturgis rally, my riding friend Ken and I witnessed a number of separate accidents resulting in 6 deaths and numerous serious injuries.  We were never even remotely close to being involved, but in a couple of instances if we were less experienced riders, we certainly could have been.  We went back to the rally a couple more times after that experience (during the rally week), but after 15 years of attending the rally, it was no longer fun.  I think we both began watching other riders so much it took our fun out of riding.  We've gone back a few times since then, but always the week before or the week after the actual rally week - and only for a few days.

For many years, I would ride in local "poker rides" or "fundraiser rides".  Over time, I gradually became uncomfortable riding in large groups of people I don't know.  Especially rides that involved most of the participants stopping in bars numerous times.  I live an hour and half from Milwaukee, but didn't go to the 110th because I don't like the idea of riding around Milwaukee in large groups of strangers.  Not because of me, but because I've seen too many things happen in groups, and I don't like the riding habits of many riders.  I'm sure many others feel perfectly comfortable riding in large groups of strangers, but I don't (anymore), so I don't do it.

I still enjoy riding - a lot.  But the only groups I ride with are friends whose habits I know, who know my habits, and whose instincts I trust.  Our riding vacations are rarely on interstate highways, and are generally in the western and north western mountain states (beautiful scenery and very little road traffic).
My suggestion to all riders is to always ride within yourself, use your experience and don't do anything that doesn't feel safe, don't feel pressured by riding partners to ride outside your personal boundaries, and have fun.  When it stops being fun or stops feeling safe, then give it up.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:37:32 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »

I'm sure many others feel perfectly comfortable riding in large groups of strangers, but I don't (anymore), so I don't do it.

Nope.  Not me.  Anything from dinner rides at the dealership populated by everyone who just got their brand new bike and are learning to ride to the towns full of nimrods at the HOG rallies.  And I've not done the large national rallies for years for the same reason.  I enjoy the machines my own way.  Other's can enjoy the bread and circuses.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 10:48:49 PM »

Nope.  Not me.  Anything from dinner rides at the dealership populated by everyone who just got their brand new bike and are learning to ride to the towns full of nimrods at the HOG rallies.  And I've not done the large national rallies for years for the same reason.  I enjoy the machines my own way.  Other's can enjoy the bread and circuses.

Seems we all reach that point. I will no longer do the group ride thing unless it's the group of riders we know and can rely on NOT to develop that "group mentality" and and start riding stupid. The wife and I attend Laconia and Americade each year but those events (for us) seem to serve as an excuse to get together with a small group of friends and spend the time riding through the mountains of NH and having some good food with good friends and less about the "event".

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »

I still enjoy riding - a lot.  But the only groups I ride with are friends whose habits I know, who know my habits, and whose instincts I trust.

My sentiments exactly. I don't do the group rides for the same reasons you don't. Actually prefer to ride alone so I can tune into or tune out my own thoughts aside from what is required for riding.

Motorcycle riding has been therapy for me for a lot of years, don't depend on one for commuting for that very reason. Never realized the therapy part when I was younger, probably because I was too close to the ragged edge to notice. Had a few spills, some that still haunt me but I've have had more good memories than bad over the years. Hopefully I have several more years of 2 wheeled pleasure ahead of me but if and when I reach the point where I feel like riding may endanger not only myself but others on the road I will park it. When I do I know it will be with a tear in my eye, like laying to rest a dear old friend. I'm going to the garage now to polish my chrome

dlbrearley

• 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 02:42:01 AM »

But sometimes honestly I think about the worst happening with her on the bike.  I don't dwell on it but I have to say it is in the back of my mind. Stan
I understand your thinking on this Stan. I don't let it distract me but It's always on my mind when my wife is with me. I'm 50 and have been riding since I was 12. I can say and I bet most of us that have rode most their lives can say the same thing, I only have God to thank for still being above ground. I did alot of stupid things on bikes when I was younger. I also don't like riding with riders I don't know so the wife and I very seldom go to the bigger events. We do most of our riding in groups with the Biker Church we attend (Rushing Wind). As you can see with most of the comments your not alone.

Ride Safe
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.