Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Commuter bike?  (Read 6815 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Commuter bike?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 06:05:34 AM »

i need something that can handle as well as my Vespa, can handle very slow tight maneuvers well, fit very well between cars, and have enough power for when the Freeways are not bogged down with traffic to climb uphill with ease at full speed.

I am from SoCal (just working in Afghanistan) and I so get it.

I know what you are looking for and do believe the KZP fits the bill. It's a 1000cc so it has plenty of power. It has a very nice tight turning radius and can make a full lock circle inside of 16' with a board scraping lean. It does tight manuevers so well, it has it's own catagory in police rodeo competitions. It weighs 550 pounds and can be handled with a fair amount of ease. The riding position is very close to your Ultra. You sit upright, have floorboards, a large brake pedal, and heel and toe shifters. The solo police saddle is comfortable enough for 12 hour long patrols. Although NOT designed to go off road, it can handle dirt and mud fairly well (at least it did at motor school) and has enough ground clearance to go over curbs and up and down stairs. There is a reason it was a police bike from 1977 to 2005, and why it is the ride of choice amongst most big city motorcycle courier services. A fully dressed one comes with a fairing, saddlebags and a top box (radio carrier). A very dependable workhorse that can take abuse and punishment, just ask Trapperdog,...LOL!

But if you don't like the looks or just don't want one I understand.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »

And as Mark said in another post, when you pull up behind someone on the KZP, they move out of your way quickly! Very fun bikes as they take abuse and keep on ticking. I'll always remember doing cone maneuverer's on the KZ's with Mark on a steep hillside, what a hoot.  Now you've got me jonesin for one again. One with a siren  ;D

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »

Tiring on riding my big bike (UltraCVO) on the 405 freeway here in SoCal in horrible traffic, thinking of picking up yet another bike to commute with.
Have used my Vespa GTS300 Super but when roads are wide open i am full throttle and really pushing that little engine.

Need something that handle amazing and also squeeze through the cars for lane splitting in the narrowest of places, and enough power to handle 85 plus on the freeway, plus climbing up and down a mountain hill.
 Have been thinking something like an older Dyna (perhaps a Low Rider) or maybe even a Sportster 883 Low (the specs make it sound like it handles great at low speed, which may be required), or even maybe a Triumph Bonneville, but I question comfort and handling on that bike. Test rode recently and found position weird and steering not as nimble as i had hoped.

Thoughts?

Sounds like we're neighbors and riding the same bike.  The 405 blows, anyway you look at it.  I've tried commuting on other bikes but still prefer the Ultra, even though other bikes have a smaller waistline and can squeeze through those tight lane splitting areas.  For what it's worth, I have a couple friends that commute on the BMW R 1200R, and they swear by it, then hop on their Harley's for the weekend rides.

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 11:01:05 PM »

Sounds like we're neighbors and riding the same bike.  The 405 blows, anyway you look at it.  I've tried commuting on other bikes but still prefer the Ultra, even though other bikes have a smaller waistline and can squeeze through those tight lane splitting areas.  For what it's worth, I have a couple friends that commute on the BMW R 1200R, and they swear by it, then hop on their Harley's for the weekend rides.

Please find out if yer buddy crashed this week.

I was on the 405 and a guy on a bmw 1200 got off the freeway north due to traffic at Wilshire to head up on Sepulveda.
On Sepulveda by Sunset, after a green light, a car turned left into his lane and the guy struck the car and crashed. I was on my Vespa and the bmw hit my scooter.
Guy got carted away in an ambulance.

Vespa has minor scratches.

Yer friend?

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 06:12:39 AM »

Ugh!  After reading this I gave them a quick call and luckily that wasn't either of my friends commuting on their Bimmers.  Plenty of construction up there to throw things off.  Hope that guy is going to be okay.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »

In 83 I bought a new Kawasaki 1000 ltd. Very fast for the day and I rode it everyday for years. One of the best bikes I ever owned.

turbo357

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »

What about a Buell xb9 or xb12 ?? Light weight and Plenty of power from a Harley V-twin
95 inch 10.5:1 compression pistons (manual compression releases)
SE HTCC Heads
SE 257 cams
48mm tb from Speeds Performance plus
Arlen Ness Big-sucker air filter
RevTech close ratio 6 speed (@3100rpm at 70mph in 6th)
Vance&Hines Pro-Pipe
104hp/98tq

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »

In 83 I bought a new Kawasaki 1000 ltd. Very fast for the day and I rode it everyday for years. One of the best bikes I ever owned.
My only mode of transportation in college in the late 70's. I loved (and hated) that bike with the Vetter fairing. I almost killed myself many times on that bike but had a ball trying..
I think its why i fell so hard for my roadglide. It reminds me of that bike with the fixed fairing.
Alan

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »

KTM 990 Adventure.  Easy to split lanes with, fast and powerful. And you can aerate your neighbors front lawn!!!
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 08:25:44 AM »

I have to second the BMW g 1200 GS. Great all-around bike. 

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 11:58:23 PM »

St1300
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 20 queries.