Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Breakout New Chopped Fender Edge Light Kit  (Read 13415 times)

CUZCO

• Full CVO Member
    • PreBanArms
Breakout New Chopped Fender Edge Light Kit
« on: September 04, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »

While searching for 2014 Breakout parts on Harley's website they now have Chopped Fender Edge Light Kit Part Number 68000105 listed for the 2014 Breakout. However it also states that it is for all Sportsters with the chopped fender. It seems to me that if it fits the Sportsters then it would be way to small for the breakout. I am wondering if Harley has it listed under the Breakout by mistake.
2013 CVO Breakout
Molten Silver/Black Diamond
2015 CVO Road Glide
Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset

Rjs09gtr

Re: Breakout New Chopped Fender Edge Light Kit
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »

I work at a Harley dealer and own a 2013 CVO breakout. We have 2 of these due in any day now, and as soon as they come in my parts manager has my name on one. If they work ill post pics of it.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »

I work at a Harley dealer and own a 2013 CVO breakout. We have 2 of these due in any day now, and as soon as they come in my parts manager has my name on one. If they work ill post pics of it.
Let's hope it works, otherwise its custom dynamics led strip and praying the adhesive keeps it intact.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

CUZCO

• Full CVO Member
    • PreBanArms
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »

I ordered the fender light yesterday. Service manager told me that since the fender has to be removed for installation there is no way I could do it myself and it is 2 1/2 hours of labor for the install. I have installed all my accessories myself with the exception of the pipes, to me it is part of the fun.

I would certainly appreciate any hints or suggestions on the removal of the 2013 CVO Breakout rear fender for this rear light installation.
2013 CVO Breakout
2015 CVO Road Glide

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »

I am certainly no great mechanic and managed to take the fender off in order to get rid of the stock license plate mount, replace it with another stem for the turn signal, rewire the license plate light to the lighted vertical kuryakyn plate mount, and put the fender back on in under 30 minutes. I was even extra careful to not scratch up the paint/chrome/etc. My wife helped out as I needed someone to hold the fender when I undid the last bolt. You also need a torque wrench that can handle 120/130 ft/lbs as that is what HD says the bolts need to be tightened to.

You would need to remove the existing reflector, which is attached to a metal plate on the underside of the fender with two tabs. That should add, lets say, another 5 minutes tops.

2 and a half hours? wow.

Saljemar

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 07:51:08 AM »

camcvo,
Where did you get that license plate frame from?  I like it.

Geoff

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:11:21 AM »

Geoff,

Here's the license plate mount I used:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/534-219?utm_source=PLAs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CJzslJekvrkCFZKk4AodHSsAzQ

You can find them on ebay for less. You would also need to get the clip for the swing arm which would be different based on the bike.

Cam

Rjs09gtr

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »

This rear fender is not even close to fitting, held it up to my BO today. Hopefully soon someone will make a brake light to fit our rear fender

13brkoutCVO

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 12:24:38 AM »

This rear fender is not even close to fitting, held it up to my BO today. Hopefully soon someone will make a brake light to fit our rear fender
Thanks for the info...I was waiting on your results before making the purchase.

CUZCO

• Full CVO Member
    • PreBanArms
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »

I was thinking it would be about the same size as the reflector that is on the fender now. Would you agree with that?  I have already ordered it and was told no refunds on special order electrical parts so I am going to probably install it anyway as long as it is at least the size of the reflector. A light that filled up the entire width of the fender would be a huge light.
2013 CVO Breakout
2015 CVO Road Glide

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 10:13:51 AM »

If the curve above the light does not match then it might not look right. Also the kit comes with a separate reflector, which based on what I have learned here on this forum is required to be on the bike.

I designed a housing that would accept the existing reflector as the lens, kill two birds with one stone if you will. I am having the housing created in black abs (3D printed) and using the brake light/running light LED kit from Custom Dynamics. Taking pictures of the whole process and will post as soon as installed, success or failure. If I have figured this out right then the existing reflector will essentially be a brake/running light as well. I actually don't mind the reflector look anymore just don't care for it looking like a malfunctioning center-mounted brake light.

CUZCO

• Full CVO Member
    • PreBanArms
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »

Your idea sounds like a great solution. I agree I don't mind the reflector I just think it would be better served as a functioning tailight/brakelight. Especially as an LED to match up with the LED's in the turnsignals. Friends tell me that the LED's on there now are very bright. Will look forward to seeing how yours turns out.
2013 CVO Breakout
2015 CVO Road Glide

CUZCO

• Full CVO Member
    • PreBanArms
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »

If the curve above the light does not match then it might not look right. Also the kit comes with a separate reflector, which based on what I have learned here on this forum is required to be on the bike.

I designed a housing that would accept the existing reflector as the lens, kill two birds with one stone if you will. I am having the housing created in black abs (3D printed) and using the brake light/running light LED kit from Custom Dynamics. Taking pictures of the whole process and will post as soon as installed, success or failure. If I have figured this out right then the existing reflector will essentially be a brake/running light as well. I actually don't mind the reflector look anymore just don't care for it looking like a malfunctioning center-mounted brake light.

Please let me know how you took off the rear fender, I am a little concerned about the turn signal removal also. My understanding is the fender will have to be removed for your install.
2013 CVO Breakout
2015 CVO Road Glide

CUZCO

• Full CVO Member
    • PreBanArms
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »

The fender does NOT have to be removed. But the inner fender cover does have to come off in order to remove the stock reflector. Here is a picture of the combination of tools I used to remove the inner fender, once removed the stock reflector just peels right off. Now I just have to figure out how to wire it up. The instructions are less than useful as they show a sportster.
2013 CVO Breakout
2015 CVO Road Glide

CUZCO

• Full CVO Member
    • PreBanArms
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »

The curvature of the lights mounting tape does NOT fit the curvature of the fender at all. I used a hack saw blade to "trim down" the two tabs with the double sided tape. This picture shows the first one trimed down, both have to be trimmed the same and then cut off half of the front half of the tape that is on the light itself. Then I lowered the inner fender again and was able to mount the light just like the reflector was. It is not coming off. All in all I am happy with it now. It looks almost just like the reflector only now it will be a light. That is when I can figure out how to wire it in.
2013 CVO Breakout
2015 CVO Road Glide
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 20 queries.