Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: quieter slip ons  (Read 7593 times)

wheelie

quieter slip ons
« on: September 08, 2013, 06:48:17 AM »

I searched and didnt really find the answer I was looking for , since I'm new to the 110 " engine...

recently bought a 10' FLHXSE with 2500 miles , it has a set of V&H dresser duals on it with 3.5" Rineharts ..... that the PO just put on before he traded it in... My issue with it is it is louder than I want... the Rineharts crackle way too much and actually vibrate the bike so much at 65-70 mph it actually makes my rear, legs go numb, and makes the wife not even want to ride , (and she loves to rifde more than I , if thats possible ) ... Ive had 13 HD's so far and had aftermarket exhaust ob most of them and do like a good sounding pipe , but this is not acceptable to me.. Is it because the slip ons are only 3.5" with the 110" engine?? and it cant breathe ?? (it only gets 36 mpg as well )  my 12' FLTRX gets 52 mpg !!!!..... i did an experiment yesterday , taking off the rineharts and installing the bone stock slip ons left over from my 12' glide and test rode it .. the engine obviously didn't like the backpressure and stumbled badly when opening the throttle , but as I got up to speed , all the vibrations and pounding that the Rineharts had was gone and the bike was comfortable for the first time..

so I'm thinking , I need new slip ons .... something big enough to allow the 110 to breathe.......hopefully to increase MPG while decreasing the cracking sound, and removing the pulsing vibrations that ruin the ride of this awesome bike....  a deeper mellower tone doesnt bother me , just dont want it so loud I cant hear the radio at highway speeds ...

suggestions from people more knowledgeable on the 110" and its breathing needs vs slip ons ... please , thank you

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: quieter slip ons
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:25:23 AM »

I have and like the D&D Police Interceptors. They were designed for police departments to give them sound, low end torque, but not be obnoxiously loud. I like mine, but as with all things each of us has different tastes.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:47:02 AM »

I have a stock pair of screaming eagle slip ons that I pulled of of my 13 CVO Road King that I am going to sell. Tey were only on the bike for about 200 miles. I know a lot of people on here are using these stock mufflers with the baffles from Fullsac and they are supposed to provide really good power but not be overly loud. Let me know if you are interested.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »

I'm using a pair of S/E Fatshotz with 14 discs and closed endcaps.  They're a little louder than the stock mufflers, but not terribly so.  Nice thing is, not only to they have the EPA stamp, they're tune-able via the discs and endcaps.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »

I had the Supertrapp Fat Shots installed on the new 2014 Street Glide Special.  Are they the same as the SE Fatshotz?
Tunable with discs.  Quiet with good power.  At least on my friends '13 Road King.
(-went to pick up the new bike yesterday, but the dealer wasn't able to get a canned map loaded because of some change to the ECM.  -Supposed to deliver the bike tomorrow.)
On my SEUC I went with Fullsac with 1 &3/4" baffles and am very happy with the sound.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »

Look at the Freedom Classic 4'' slip-ons....they are 88 debacles, radio friendly with a DEEP, RICH, THROATY, sound and good performer also. Now don't get off track with the rest of the Freedom mufflers....most are 2.5 baffle stepping to a 3'' baffle, I don't believe that will be enough back pressure for good performance. I will be tuning a set of these soon so I will report back but the Classics are great, I run them my self.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »

I had the Supertrapp Fat Shots installed on the new 2014 Street Glide Special.  Are they the same as the SE Fatshotz?
Tunable with discs.  Quiet with good power.  At least on my friends '13 Road King.
(-went to pick up the new bike yesterday, but the dealer wasn't able to get a canned map loaded because of some change to the ECM.  -Supposed to deliver the bike tomorrow.)
On my SEUC I went with Fullsac with 1 &3/4" baffles and am very happy with the sound.

Same muffler with a couple exceptions.  The Supertrapp doesn't have the EPA stamp, and comes with12 discs and a closed cap.  The S/E comes with an open end cap and 10 discs.

Oddly, the S/Es are cheaper too.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 12:38:41 PM »

Same muffler with a couple exceptions.  The Supertrapp doesn't have the EPA stamp, and comes with12 discs and a closed cap.  The S/E comes with an open end cap and 10 discs.

Oddly, the S/Es are cheaper too.
Thanks, now I know. 
I would expect the ones with open end caps to be louder. 
I wonder what the difference in sound is?

wheelie

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:33:30 PM »

Do you know if the bike has the original header with the catalytic converter in it or was it removed or replaced? Did the previous owner do any motor work, change the cams or download a different map to the ECM? Or is the bike bone stock other than the exhaust pipes?                 

Vance & Hines dresser duals .......... bone stock otherwise with 2500 miles on it ...

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »

Thanks, now I know. 
I would expect the ones with open end caps to be louder. 
I wonder what the difference in sound is?
I haven't tried the open caps, though I have a pair.  I'm more concerned with quiet and torque than I am with noise or horsepower.  When I got the mufflers initially, they had no caps and 4 discs......They were obnoxious.

FWIW, they do meet the EPA sound levels with 10 discs and open end caps on a 103.....But not a 110.  Our cam timing makes for hammering exhaust noise.

kcbike

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 08:46:23 PM »

try the kuryakyn crusher mellows have great flow and power without the noise. sounds too good to be true,but it is

wheelie

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »

Ok thanks guys , I put my Rineharts for sale on here , I'll sell them and get a quieter set ... are the Harley Screamin Eagle 4" stock mufflers worth anything ?? I am not looking for any performance gains, like I said at my ripe old age of 52 the wife and I just want a smooth, semi quiet ride .. If they are OK I might look for a set of really nice take offs ...

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »

V & H Monster Rounds here.....mellow enough to sneak outta the 'hood in the early mornin'.......non-intrusive while cruising...but, make some noise when you twist a little harder.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »

I'm supposed to get a new bike tomorrow with the Stuportrapps & V&H headers.  I'll post my perception re: sound.

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 09:47:05 AM »

I have the V&H Power Dual headers on my bike with Klockwerks Platinum Revolver slipons.  I really like the sound.  Not loud.  Has a nice rumble but can hear the radio and sounds good when you accelerate.
Ride Safe,
JustDennis
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 20 queries.