Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: When the good guys are bad  (Read 5285 times)

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
Re: When the good guys are bad
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »

Just think....if his so called friends woulda pumped him full of whiskey in that pub, then there would have been no way to prove if he was drunk before or after.    Bad business  though, no matter how you slice it

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 03:57:56 AM »

What makes this story even sadder is the firefighters that tried to "aid" the intoxicated driver of the truck by taking him to a local pub and pumping water into him in an attempt to falsify the blood alcohol level.  That is incredibly bad judgment on their part.  Why do so many folks make bad situations worse by their actions after the fact.  Camaraderie and brotherhood are one thing.  But the ramifications of their actions on their families and their lives and on the biker are inexcusable.

That is BS!!!!! No amount of anything (except more alcohol or time will make a change) Water will make no change at all in you BAL!!!! I want to know what shift they work!!! If they work 24 hr shifts and they come on duty in the AM, then he must have been drinking at work!!!! Looks like he may have had a problem. IMHO he should not have been on the floor if the problem actually exists. If it did everyone in the station had to know or should have known. Looks like he will be doing something else for a career.

I just want to know why he has not been charged???

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:02:55 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 07:34:59 AM »

Someone should go to jail..
Bill

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »

Hard for me to take sides. Flashing red lights do not give a EV the automatic RoW. If the driver had been drinking on duty, case closed. The motorcyclist appeared to be at a high rate of speed and had he approached the intersection carefully it would have been different. Still, drunk on duty.....case closed.

RoW in most states have similar laws on the books.
For us, our laws are plain and simple. Some examples:

• All audible and visual warning devices must be used from the time the vehicle leaves the station until arrival at the incident

(We do modify that somewhat, as in no sirens or air horns etc at 2 am in residential neighborhoods etc.)

• Maximum speed is 10 mph over the posted speed limit if conditions are acceptable, posted speed limits only if not.
  • Posted speed limits through controlled intersections with the RoW (green light)
  • Max speed if crossing the double yellow is 20 MPH (eg approaching a traffic light around vehicles with a negative RoW)
  • Negative RoW, eg stop sign or red light, the emergency vehicle shall come to a complete stop, and gain control of the intersection before preceding.
So in the incident of my original post, there is ZERO excuse for the collision. Collision, as it was no accident.

And to add to all the laws, at least in NJ, the driver is 100% responsible for his actions while in control of the vehicle. Our city rules also hold the officer in the right seat responsible to a degree.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:00:29 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 09:05:38 AM »

I would think that the flashing lights on the fire truck could have been seen by the biker long before he got to the intersection. They are very bright and grab your attention, and they reflect all over everything, even if you can't yet see them directly.

As good as lights have gotten over the years with the advent of LED's there are times they are still difficult to see.

A typical structure alarm in my department has the possibility of apparatus responding from 3-6 stations. Knowing this we are constantly on the lookout for reflected light when approaching any roadway.

Being both a rider and driver of Fire rigs, I could see where it may have been not visible at all to the rider until it was "in his face". And that is why we have to have control of the intersection.
Now, if the truck had stopped at the light, and the rider still went through his green light at a high rate of speed that would be different - had the FF not been drunk.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 09:09:33 AM »

No bearing on this particular incident but you would be surprised at how many drivers "don't see" (at least they say the don't see) or yield to red lights/siren/air horn when you pull up behind them.

Back in the 70's, LA PD did some emergency vehicle driver training videos. Kind of corny watching them, but in one example they showed a passenger in a vehicle (PO and police car) who was to raise his hand when he heard the police car with sirens passing them, at highway speeds. In each instance the back seat passenger, with windows open, did not hear the siren until the passing vehicle was almost along side.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »

What makes this story even sadder is the firefighters that tried to "aid" the intoxicated driver of the truck by taking him to a local pub and pumping water into him in an attempt to falsify the blood alcohol level.  That is incredibly bad judgment on their part.  Why do so many folks make bad situations worse by their actions after the fact.  Camaraderie and brotherhood are one thing.  But the ramifications of their actions on their families and their lives and on the biker are inexcusable.

This is old school stuff and in no way should be tolerated. There are potentially a lot of careers on the line here, from the driver and officer to everyone in the station who had knowledge.
Many years ago I have seen things in the fire house that would result in termination today. Some things incomprehensible given today's climate. But, when the officers are part of the problem and can't expect more from the subordinates.

And as much as I respect my union sometimes it does not work for the better.
Example, not saying which department, but..........

Getting hired and a very competitive market means having a clean record and driving history. Unless of course you know someone.
Then an prior DUI is over looked.

Suppose you don't give up your habits and get another DUI conviction and now your career is on the line because you can't drive without a license?
No problem, because of state and federal laws all you have to do is throw your hands up and say I have a problem and you get a 6 month vacation at a re-hab and all is forgiven.

With random substance abuse screening, you never know when your name comes up.
Your name comes up, you go pee, you fail............

But what if the name pulled was actually a sibling and they sent the wrong "person"?
The union steps in and fights for the member and will of course win due to a technicality.

Maybe it wasn't really a sibling's name but you have someone watching over you and that is the way it is made out to be?

Of course, the way to reward all of this is to get promoted.

The above is true and happens way more then many think.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 09:24:09 AM »

I just want to know why he has not been charged???

You know why Mike. Because of all the policies in place, DA's have to make sure the T's are crossed and I's dotted properly so it will stick.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:33:44 AM by porthole »

MV 2013

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »

So sad for all involved.
DND

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »

Outside of the accident, what about the safety of the other fire fighters?  Could he have been trusted to operate the ladder?  If I was fighting the fire I would not want my life or the lives of others (sounds like a movie) to be endangered.  I would not want to be a passenger on that truck if I knew the driver was impaired.

I am not a fire fighter and was only stating my opinion.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.