Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Wear  (Read 1533 times)

BamaBreeze

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Tire Wear
« on: November 03, 2006, 08:22:30 AM »

I am experiencing weird tire wear on the rear of my "06 SEFB. The 200 tire is wearing a flat section in the center of the tread after only 3,500 miles. The flat area is now about 1-1/2" wide, seems to be getting wider. I have checked the inflation pressure very often and kept it right on the recommended pressure. Has anyone else seen this kind of wear on this tire? It's seems like its got to be pressure related.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: Tire Wear
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 10:31:19 AM »

Hate to sound like a smart a$$, Bama, but all of my rear tires develop a flat wear spot in the middle.  Mine starts at about 1k and gradually spreads across the tire until change out at about 6k. The only factor other than twistin' real hard on the right grip would be a seriously overinflated tire. I suspect you might be suffering from the same right hand wear problem that most of us are having..... ;D

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 11:06:33 AM »

What pressure are you using?  

If you are at the higher end or recommended pressure you most likely are actually over inflated for one up riding, especially if you are in a warm to hot climate.

While tire pressure is "only" accurate when cold, if you are at the higher range of recommended pressures when cold you will get the overinflated condition that you seem to be experiencing when riding once the tire is at operating temp.

BamaBreeze

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 11:44:59 AM »

Using 38 psi (solo) as the owners manual suggests, checked always "cold" meaning pre-ride atmosphere temps in Houston, Tx. I agree that the pressure will rise when ridden. It is probably as BLM777 suggests, a lot of it could be from the right hand. Maybe I didn't realize that all of the torque could put enough stress on the rear tire during hard acceleration even though the tire is not breaking loose but being put in a bind enough to cause extra tread wear.  I do right it hard, figured thats what it was made for. Thanks

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »

Using 38 psi (solo) as the owners manual suggests, checked always "cold" meaning pre-ride atmosphere temps in Houston, Tx. I agree that the pressure will rise when ridden. It is probably as BLM777 suggests, a lot of it could be from the right hand. Maybe I didn't realize that all of the torque could put enough stress on the rear tire during hard acceleration even though the tire is not breaking loose but being put in a bind enough to cause extra tread wear.

purple haze

• PURPLE HAZE
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 12:00:07 PM »

purple haze here and i had to add air to tires because of first cold snap hit us in texas and no one has said what pressure to use, i put 40psi on back and 38psi on front i'm i wrong? i only have 1,600 miles on my c.v.o 06" i peel out some, but no smokey burn outs, and it seems to be wearing o.k just my 2 cents, if any tire experts like to tell me i'm screwing up please let my dumb ass know, thanks for any retorts on matter, peace biker dudes. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
TOM

purple haze

• PURPLE HAZE
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 12:03:22 PM »

purple haze here and i had to add air to tires because of first cold snap hit us in texas and no one has said what pressure to use, i put 40psi on back and 38psi on front i'm i wrong? i only have 1,600 miles on my c.v.o 06" i peel out some, but no smokey burn outs, and it seems to be wearing o.k just my 2 cents, if any tire experts like to tell me i'm screwing up please let my dumb ass know, thanks for any retorts on matter, peace biker dudes. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
P.S is it me or does other guys have bitch of time to get to rear tire ?
TOM

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 06:12:19 PM »

P.S is it me or does other guys have bitch of time to get to rear tire ?

Don't be concerned, you're in good company.  I am putting my third rear tire on my bike tomorrow and I am just shy of 15,700 miles!  Dunlop, Metzeler, doesn't matter, I prefer Metzeler and am running a 150/80 on the rear.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »

I am experiencing weird tire wear on the rear of my "06 SEFB. [highlight]The 200 tire is wearing a flat section in the center of the tread after only 3,500 miles.[/highlight] [highlight]The flat area is now about 1-1/2" wide, seems to be getting wider[/highlight]. I have checked the inflation pressure very often and kept it right on the recommended pressure. Has anyone else seen this kind of wear on this tire? It's seems like its got to be pressure related.

Dont sweat it, I noticed the same but it stopped growing right around 3.5k, now I have 6k and it has not changed.  [smiley=drink.gif]
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

dagbre

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 SEFB
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 05:54:58 PM »

Great, I' not alone! I experience exactly the same tire wear. A narrow band on the rear Dunlop 200/55. Running 5Ks now on my first tire and the band is 2". I've always kept pressure at cold 36-38 psi.

Good to hear that you guys see the same thing. But MoCo should really protect us from ourselves when it comes to cartoonish rear tires. The FB should get its 180 back. It makes the bike handle better (at least over here, where the roads are reeeeeeallly curvy). Besides, fat tires wearing like this are a dreadful waste of rubber.
Måteleg klok kvar mann vere ovklok vere han ikkje for sjeldan er hugnad i hjarta å finna hjå honom som ovklok er!

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.