Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: New Extreme Billet Ventilator Air Cleaner  (Read 23856 times)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
Re: New Extreme Billet Ventilator Air Cleaner
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »

Mark,

I was in Panama City Beach Florida this past weekend.  The dealer there had the Billet Ventilator in the 2 styles.  $449.00.  Also might want to check with Surdyke Harley Website.

SE66:

Thanks for the tip!  I found it on Surdyke.com (different than the dealership web site) for $70 less than the P&A price.  No shipping charges either.  :cucumber:

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 10:50:48 AM »

SE66:

Thanks for the tip!  I found it on Surdyke.com (different than the dealership web site) for $70 less than the P&A price.  No shipping charges either.  :cucumber:

Best Regards,

Mark
LSHD1 and Kutter are even cheaper with no shipping costs on a purchase like that for future ref!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

rjmorris

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »

Here is a close up of mine. Purchased it from Kutter for $373, no tax, no shipping. Looks great.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »

Wo hoo!

I just placed my order with Fullsac for the Stage I setup (X-Pipe, TTS, 2" cores).

Now to order the Extreme billet and these (see pic) from HD.

Now the only question is do I DIY the project or get the full pull install and dyno done through the dealer. 

I'm leaning toward the dealer, because even though I'll have a MAP with the pipe I was wondering if the Extreme Billet air cleaner is different enough that the MAP may not quite do it for me.  Or, will I just be chasing that last 2% with a dyno and throwing away some $$.

Comments / suggestion welcome.  BTW: I have an email into Fullsac for their expert opinion.

Regards,

Mark

Are you sure your dealer will tune with the TTS?  And a better question is do they have a competent tuner, no matter what tuner is used? Just because they have a dyno machine and an operator does not mean a thing.  There will not be any air flow differences in this filter from the stock filter that comes on the bike...it's just more decorative.  The map provided by Fullsac will likely be 95% correct.  I ran it on my '11 with the same pipes/cores and never touched it...ran just fine as is.  I'm not saying that a GOOD tuner might not be able to fine tune the bike, but 95% is pretty damn good and I did it all myself and saved a few hundred dollars.  I do not subscribe to the school of thought with regards to the old adage that "every motor is different".  That may have been true in the "old days", but with modern production techniques I just do not think it is true.  There are exceptions, of course, but out of 100 110 engines, I'd bet money that at least 95 of them are so close to each other that chasing 2 ft. lbs of TQ or HP is simply not worth the effort and $$$.  There are a lot of folks on here running the Fullsac setup and the provided map with no complaints.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 03:05:16 PM »

Are you sure your dealer will tune with the TTS?  And a better question is do they have a competent tuner, no matter what tuner is used? Just because they have a dyno machine and an operator does not mean a thing.  There will not be any air flow differences in this filter from the stock filter that comes on the bike...it's just more decorative.  The map provided by Fullsac will likely be 95% correct.  I ran it on my '11 with the same pipes/cores and never touched it...ran just fine as is.  I'm not saying that a GOOD tuner might not be able to fine tune the bike, but 95% is pretty damn good and I did it all myself and saved a few hundred dollars.  I do not subscribe to the school of thought with regards to the old adage that "every motor is different".  That may have been true in the "old days", but with modern production techniques I just do not think it is true.  There are exceptions, of course, but out of 100 110 engines, I'd bet money that at least 95 of them are so close to each other that chasing 2 ft. lbs of TQ or HP is simply not worth the effort and $$$.  There are a lot of folks on here running the Fullsac setup and the provided map with no complaints.
X2 Agree with Terry. Plus I don't trust my dealer any further than I can throw my bike by the taillights.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »

Dear MR:

Thanks for the reply.  I am fairly mechanically inclined, but my ignorance of tuning and add-ons with Harley's runs very deep!  My main concern was whether or not it would cause harm, e.g., run too lean or something.

I got a (quick) response from Fullsac stating basically the same thing as your reply.  The supplied MAP will be just fine with the Extreme Billet as with the other High flow A/C.  That is what I suspected all along, but wasn't sure of.  One hi-flow is close enough to the other that it doesn't affect things so much.

The tech at the shop said he would be happy to send the bike out for a tune, but really doesn't think it is necessary.  They normally send out all their dyno work to a local fellow who is purported to be a savant of sorts.  The service department at my dealer really is in it for the customer.  In their words they would rather have us come back than go away dissatisfied for throwing away money.  They are pretty straight shooters.

So I am not planning on chasing that last 1-2% and I'm really back to leaning toward doing the install myself. 

Again, thanks for your input.

Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »

X2 Agree with Terry. Plus I don't trust my dealer any further than I can throw my bike by the taillights.

I am usually skeptical, too.  The guys at my dealer, however, seem pretty straight and don't try to jack up labor or sell services not needed.

From what I have read here, tho' not everyone has had the same experiences.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 05:31:53 PM »

LSHD1 and Kutter are even cheaper with no shipping costs on a purchase like that for future ref!

Outstanding.  I'll put those into my favorites, too.

I didn't realize there were other resources for HD parts.  Thought the dealer sites/P&A was all there was.   :oops:

LSHD1 would have saved a few more $$.  Live and learn, live and learn ;)

Thanks

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »

Wo hoo!

I just placed my order with Fullsac for the Stage I setup (X-Pipe, TTS, 2" cores).

Now to order the Extreme billet and these (see pic) from HD.

Now the only question is do I DIY the project or get the full pull install and dyno done through the dealer. 

I'm leaning toward the dealer, because even though I'll have a MAP with the pipe I was wondering if the Extreme Billet air cleaner is different enough that the MAP may not quite do it for me.  Or, will I just be chasing that last 2% with a dyno and throwing away some $$.

Comments / suggestion welcome.  BTW: I have an email into Fullsac for their expert opinion.

Regards,

Mark

Just be aware that the stainless mesh on those heat shields will discolor after a few heat cycles - turning a color that resembles the golden brown of a basted
Thanksgiving turkey
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »

Just be aware that the stainless mesh on those heat shields will discolor after a few heat cycles - turning a color that resembles the golden brown of a basted
Thanksgiving turkey

:'(.  Not something I would want on my MC.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »

Thanksgiving turkey

are you sure its some type of stainless steel?  Looks chrome to me  :nixweiss:

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 10:36:47 AM »

are you sure its some type of stainless steel?  Looks chrome to me  :nixweiss:

Here is the description from MoCo:

Laser cut openings filled with tightly-woven mesh deliver a modern high performance look.
Chrome with chrome screens
Kit replaces factory exhaust shields with a unique design
Perfect match for Original Equipment or Screamin’ Eagle mufflers
Easy to install
Kits include front and rear header shield and collector shield

One fella from WI left a review:

"Got these for '13 FLTRX... Get more compliments on the shields and heavy breather than I could have imagined. Quality product and have not experienced any color variation due to heat.

I Recommend This Product."

Granted, one review is not a lot to go on so caveat emptor for me....

I personally like the look, but the main reason for replacing the HS involves an incident of dropping a microfiber cloth on hot pipes followed by a moment of stupidity by the user (me).  Barely noticeable, but irks me all the same...   :-\

Figured if I was going to replace them, might as well go for a little different look.  I think the mesh will compliment the mesh on the EB A/C.  I also have seen screen type Derby and Points covers from Pro PAD on Denis Kirk that may find their way onto the bike eventually.

I'll post some pics when I get everything installed.  - unfortunately waiting for the A/C which is on back order.  I like how they tell you after you order online.  On another note, the rep from Kutter sent me a listing of dealers who have it in stock.  - May be a road trip to Houston in my future  :P

Best Regards All,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »

Outstanding.  I'll put those into my favorites, too.

I didn't realize there were other resources for HD parts.  Thought the dealer sites/P&A was all there was.   :oops:

LSHD1 would have saved a few more $$.  Live and learn, live and learn ;)

Thanks

Mark
You're welcome!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »

Here is the description from MoCo:

Laser cut openings filled with tightly-woven mesh deliver a modern high performance look.
Chrome with chrome screens
Kit replaces factory exhaust shields with a unique design
Perfect match for Original Equipment or Screamin’ Eagle mufflers
Easy to install
Kits include front and rear header shield and collector shield

One fella from WI left a review:

"Got these for '13 FLTRX... Get more compliments on the shields and heavy breather than I could have imagined. Quality product and have not experienced any color variation due to heat.

I Recommend This Product."

Granted, one review is not a lot to go on so caveat emptor for me....

I personally like the look, but the main reason for replacing the HS involves an incident of dropping a microfiber cloth on hot pipes followed by a moment of stupidity by the user (me).  Barely noticeable, but irks me all the same...   :-\

Figured if I was going to replace them, might as well go for a little different look.  I think the mesh will compliment the mesh on the EB A/C.  I also have seen screen type Derby and Points covers from Pro PAD on Denis Kirk that may find their way onto the bike eventually.

I'll post some pics when I get everything installed.  - unfortunately waiting for the A/C which is on back order.  I like how they tell you after you order online.  On another note, the rep from Kutter sent me a listing of dealers who have it in stock.  - May be a road trip to Houston in my future  :P

Best Regards All,

Mark

Might be chrome inserts, but at any rate the ones I saw at the dealer WERE discollored and when I asked about it all they could do was shrug
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »

Might be chrome inserts, but at any rate the ones I saw at the dealer WERE discollored and when I asked about it all they could do was shrug

Bummer.  Don't want turkeys hanging on to the pipes!  :-X

Maybe no cat and a good tune will help.

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.