Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: feels loose on the road  (Read 9289 times)

grtguy657

• Junior CVO Member
feels loose on the road
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »

I just bought a 2008 CVO Ultra Classic screaming Eagle, 10,000 miles. I have never riddin a Harley before but this big bad ride just feels loose to me ,front end has a little wiggle to it when in a cure and wants to wander around on the road. Help.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: feels loose on the road
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »

Check tire pressure, tire wear (a scalloped tire will cause a wiggle), tire balance, rear shock pressure, steering head adjustment, motor mount wear, and alignment.

The best you've had is the best you know.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »

Which wheels do you have on the bike? Also, check the fork and shock pressures too.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:51:59 PM »

Check tire pressure, tire wear (a scalloped tire will cause a wiggle), tire balance, rear shock pressure, steering head adjustment, motor mount wear, and alignment.

+1. After you've done these things first consider upgrading the stock Harley suspension. A number of us have replaced the front and rear suspensions and installed frame stabilizers to improve handling of the pre-'09 touring frames. There are a number of threads on this subject...Last weekend I did my upgrade (Progressive monotubes up front, Suspension Technology shocks, and a Phoenix Customs Bagger Brace) and my '08 now feels like a new bike!
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 03:13:05 PM »

What motorcycle brand did you ride before?

If you came from a Japanese or German made MC you will initially feel the not so good handling of a HD.

They improved it in 2009 but before that it felt like it was a hinge built in midship.

HD still does not have superior handling compared to anything Japanese or German.

I ride a CVO Limited and love it even with this limitation. It's not the Motorcycle you take on a curvy track

grtguy657

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »

my last bike was a Yamaha Stryker 2011, before that a Kawasaki concours 2006. I'm taking it back to dealer in a few days for a few other things ,horn bracket broke , wrong cover. is there anything I need to be sure they check? The tires are brand new dunlops .I run 36psi front 42psi rear per dealer inst.

grtguy657

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »

I have the ten spoke chrome rims I think, do not know the name of them.

Nutdriverss

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »

Their were many improvements made in 2009 including a sturdier frame.  My 2011 Limited feels planted, even at 90mph.  I have two friends with pre 2009 bikes and they sometimes feel the bike wobble through turns.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »

Might want to make sure the steering head (frame neck) has been fully greased, and maybe see if they can check the "fall away" for you. Other than that and what other have mentioned about the tires and suspension, the front end will sometimes have that vague feeling to it during moderate speed corners especially if still running the stock air shocks in the rear and stock front end. You can maybe try adjusting the rear shock air pressure up/down to see if that helps - just DON'T use a compressor to pump them up, use a hand pump.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:01:16 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grtguy657

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »

Thanks for the help, gonna go back to dealer this weekend and have them do so checks. If they don't get it fixed may have to trade it .

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 04:27:26 PM »

I had more of a rear-end loose feeling on mine. I bought rivera primo Stiffey bushings from HD-Dude a while back. Easy install, really tightened up the back end. It did feel like a lot more vibration was transferred through the engine though. I think it has either eased up or I've gotten used to it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:37 PM »

I had more of a rear-end loose feeling on mine. I bought rivera primo Stiffey bushings from HD-Dude a while back. Easy install, really tightened up the back end. It did feel like a lot more vibration was transferred through the engine though. I think it has either eased up or I've gotten used to it.

I've done the Sta-Bo and the Rivera bushings on a few different bikes Pete.  And the Glide Pro kit on one.  On the pair of my own here the SERG has the Sta-Bo bushing kit that allows using the newer swingarm on the old bike while keeping the older halfshaft so don't have to bore out the tranny case.  On all the Sta-Bo and Rivera kits I've personally got to do a before-and-after ride on there's always seemed a bit more vibration transmitted through the stiffer setup.  Never thought it was "bad" or something that worried me.  Just something that was noticeable.  On my own things either wore in just a bit and it stopped or (more likely) I just quickly got used to the slight difference also.  The stiffened up rear end and losing that feeling of a side-to-side hinge right behind the saddle is a trade well worth the slight change though.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »

Maybe ditch the HD shocks as well

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »

Coming off a Japanese bike I am not surprised you are experiencing the sloppy feel on the older Harley's. For once I can tell you they all do that. And I had the same reaction when I bought my firs 2003 road king. Did everything to trouble shoot the loose feeling and it was all in speck. The front forks have allot of "twist" to them if you shake/turn the handle bars sharply from side to side. These things can really benefit from a good fork brace, unfortunately a fork brace can't be mounted because of the cow bells over the upper fork tubes. So we are stuck, just have to get used to it which happens over a period of the summer and then you don't notice it that much any more.

The 2014's are much better in this "twist" department dew to larger diameter front forks.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:58:37 PM »

Sta-Bo bushing kit that allows using the newer swingarm on the old bike while keeping the older halfshaft so don't have to bore out the tranny case. 

Don, I wasn't aware that could be done. Have you swapped swingarm to newer style? I would like a fatter tire on the back, but it's only for aesthetics. I would think that it would be a costly mod as well so I haven't really researched it yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 20 queries.