Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Another lifter question...  (Read 8242 times)

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
Re: Another lifter question...
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »

Moderate mechanical skill and a service manual should get lifters replaced with no issues...   :2vrolijk_21:

Without attempting to hijack this thread, what service manuals do you guys use? The ones from HD? Clymer? One of the online variants you can download?

Evo

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »

Without attempting to hijack this thread, what service manuals do you guys use? The ones from HD? Clymer? One of the online variants you can download?

Evo

The MOCO service manuals are more than adequate...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »

service manuals are one of the things that HD does really well.

i always have one for every bike I've had - never had any issues - just the best.

i get manuals for all the vehicles i have - ford manuals are decent - Chrysler poor - Kawasaki so so - HD the best

to

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »

It was suggested by the dealer that lifters should be replaced every 7500 miles when running any performance cams. I have T Man 625's and stock 2012 HD lifters with about 5k miles on the engine. The cams have only been installed for 500 or so miles. I'm interested to hear from the members regarding your expieriences and recommendations. Is the dealer in CYA mode?

It's not often I say this, but in this case, your dealer is giving you good advice!   :2vrolijk_21:

Since I have the T-Man 625's installed I went ahead and emailed TR asking him this same question. Here is my email and his response:

TR,

I have a set of T-Man 625 cams installed in a 2012 CVO 110" engine that I recently purchased from a dealer. I was told that the cams were recently installed along with a set of adjustable pushrods. The stock SE lifters were used and the engine had about 5000 miles on it when the cams were installed. My question is how many miles should I expect out of those lifters assuming normal riding and maintenance. The dealer suggested I replace any lifters regardless of manufacturer at 7500 mile intervals. Do you agree with that and which lifters do you recommend for these cams?

I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Dave

On Dec 13, 2013, at 9:38 AM, "T-Man Performance" <info@tmanperformance.com> wrote:

Dave,

If they suggest replacing the lifters at 7,500 mile intervals, they really have no confidence in their product. I would suggest replacing with S&S Premium Lifters, we have motors with over 30,000 miles on them with no problems.

Tom Reiser (TR)
 T-Man Performance
 336-993-7068 (shop)
 336-993-7082 (fax)
 Check our web site at:
tmanperformance.com

So, as usual there are various opinions regarding the longevity of a set of S&S lifters. I can understand the 7500 mike change out for stock HD lifters, no doubt they are of a much lower quality. However, if I install the premium S&S I would hope to get 4x that amount of service life. The HD dealer told me it didn't matter what brand of lifter you used, 7500 miles is it.

Question: What is the most miles anyone has seen on a set of lifters and what brand were they? (OK that's 2 questions, big deal!)

Evo

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 01:19:32 AM »

I know TR didn't mean it this way; but when it can be taken that just 30,000 miles is something to praise as a time in service for an internal engine component we are in a sad way....

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 01:51:45 AM »

Can anyone comment on the HQ Black Ops lifters?  I was thinking of putting these in this winter, as I have 20K miles on whatever the Harley dealer put in after my engine neede rebuilding due to a failed lifter at 30K.

Just saw this. Yes, I run the HQ Black Ops and I really, really like them. Super quiet, and I haven't had any issues with them.

One other option: On my old Evo FLHTP I ran the Velva-Touch lifters, and really liked them. They came with their own lifter block assemblies on the Evos and run at like a .0001 tolerance.  They make them for TCs as well, but I haven't used them. When it comes time for lifter replacement on Honey Badger, I may try the Velva-Touch lifters. Hopefully they'll still be in business by then. I've ridden a whopping ONE time since MV 13...  :'(

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 01:55:27 AM »

Evo

In my opinion, you should always have the Genuine H-D Factory Service Manual for your year and model, including any Supplement for your year and model. And the Parts Catalog for your year and model is really good to have, too.

The Clymer manuals are good, and have many more pictures than the H-D manuals. But they don't replace the H-D manuals IMHO.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 11:13:38 AM »

The HD service manual is good, but pay attention to lifter and pushrod instructions. The manual doesn't cover adjustable pushrods.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 05:40:14 PM »

Since I have the T-Man 625's installed I went ahead and emailed TR asking him this same question. His response:

On Dec 13, 2013, at 9:38 AM, "T-Man Performance" <info@tmanperformance.com> wrote:

Dave,

If they suggest replacing the lifters at 7,500 mile intervals, they really have no confidence in their product. I would suggest replacing with S&S Premium Lifters, we have motors with over 30,000 miles on them with no problems.

Tom Reiser (TR)
 T-Man Performance
 336-993-7068 (shop)
 336-993-7082 (fax)
 Check our web site at:
tmanperformance.com

So, as usual there are various opinions regarding the longevity of a set of S&S lifters. I can understand the 7500 mike change out for stock HD lifters, no doubt they are of a much lower quality. However, if I install the premium S&S I would hope to get 4x that amount of service life. The HD dealer told me it didn't matter what brand of lifter you used, 7500 miles is it.

Question: What is the most miles anyone has seen on a set of lifters and what brand were they? (OK that's 2 questions, big deal!)
Evo

I'm going with T.R.'s recommendation on this one, after all he's the one that makes the cams, he builds a lot of motors, and I'd be really surprised if S&S is paying him anything...  :nixweiss:

In much part, due to this thread, we went with the T-Man 625s and S&S Premium Lifters in the 113" build in the '09 SERG
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.