Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: That's a bridge  (Read 8940 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: That's a bridge
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »

Give it time.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

:'(
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2006, 08:59:29 PM »

Ok, just to play what ifs. As I said originally and Dave picked up on it, what if we rent a full size cargo container. I believe I heard somewhere it would hold 40 bikes. Ok for the sake of discussion, say $2,000 apiece for shipping x 40 = $80,000. I gotta believe we can ship a container across the pond and back for $80k if we give the shipper a month on either end of the gotta have it dates. Ok, so there's $2k gone. Plane fare should be no more than $1k with a long pole on booking. Figure group rates on rooms even with Europe being pricey at about $150/night x 14 = $2,100.Gotta be able to eat and drink pretty good for $100/day x 14 = $1,400. Figure another $2k for misc adventures and unplanned expenditures and you're at $8,500. One bike two people adds another $1k for plane fare and bumps the food bill up another $1k so 2 people 14 days in Europe, 2 days traveling $10,500. Adding another bike as and you're at $12,500.

So say we plan this for September 2008. Seems to me I remember that September is the least rainy month in that part of the world. September 2008 is 22 months away. You can hold off on all of those OCD urges, all of the go fast stuff you think you need and start salting away about $550/month for the next 22 months or save what you can and melt your plastic for the rest or just say what the hell and burn the card for the whole thing and figure out how to pay for it later. Lots of options here. My plan is to save 1/2 and go plastic on the rest. I've always been real good at paying bills. Anyway, this IS a once in a lifetime trip and if it's gonna happen, I gotta be in on it.

B B

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2006, 09:25:22 PM »

Ok, just to play what ifs. As I said originally and Dave picked up on it, what if we rent a full size cargo container. I believe I heard somewhere it would hold 40 bikes. Ok for the sake of discussion, say $2,000 apiece for shipping x 40 = $80,000. I gotta believe we can ship a container across the pond and back for $80k if we give the shipper a month on either end of the gotta have it dates. Ok, so there's $2k gone. Plane fare should be no more than $1k with a long pole on booking. Figure group rates on rooms even with Europe being pricey at about $150/night x 14 = $2,100.Gotta be able to eat and drink pretty good for $100/day x 14 = $1,400. Figure another $2k for misc adventures and unplanned expenditures and you're at $8,500. One bike two people adds another $1k for plane fare and bumps the food bill up another $1k so 2 people 14 days in Europe, 2 days traveling $10,500. Adding another bike as and you're at $12,500.

So say we plan this for September 2008. Seems to me I remember that September is the least rainy month in that part of the world. September 2008 is 22 months away. You can hold off on all of those OCD urges, all of the go fast stuff you think you need and start salting away about $550/month for the next 22 months or save what you can and melt your plastic for the rest or just say what the hell and burn the card for the whole thing and figure out how to pay for it later. Lots of options here. My plan is to save 1/2 and go plastic on the rest. I've always been real good at paying bills. Anyway, this IS a once in a lifetime trip and if it's gonna happen, I gotta be in on it.

B B
With you [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2006, 09:28:11 PM »

B B

Let the palnning begin [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2006, 09:36:39 PM »

B B

Other options to consider for the shipment of people and bikes.  A buddy in Jersey took a European bike trip a couple years ago.  He and the bike went across on Cunard for about $2500.00 round trip.  He also shipped a bike to England once using SAS air freight for $600.00 (one way).

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »

Debe and I will both go, so add our names to the list.
The locals can add more info here, but I lived in southern Germany for a couple of years.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2006, 11:18:54 PM »

Hey count me in, I have been to Germany & other parts of Europe for vacations many times over the last several years.  In fact we spent 15 days driving around Germany (4 wheels not two) October of '05 with absolutely beautiful weather never did see rain.

I know that a container can shipped for a lot less than 80K so we should be able to save $'s there.  Also, we could have an alternative of renting for those who wish to do so & may save $'s as well.

I would suggest we check out shipping alternatives through established service who can deal with the paper work and customs at the various ports - that is the hard part.  Additionally, depending on how many people we could check with some of the established tour companies for their experteis in making arrangements with hotels, sights, good ridding areas etc.  May cots a bit but could make for a much better trip.

If everyone is serious I could do some intitial investigation into these items.  John

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2006, 12:25:13 AM »

I qould be way better off, if we go in August than Sept.  Already booked in the Yukon for the middle of Sept to the end.

I also agree on the weather being more iffy in Sept in northern Europe.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2006, 07:36:32 AM »

Holy Chit...Scot told me about this last night over   [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]!

Pencil me in WFPx2

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2006, 08:09:19 AM »

I can fake my way through spain ...

?Donde' Esta' las chicas bonitas?
Dos Cervezas por favor
Yo Quiero .... < >

But having a Slovak heritage aint gonna help me speak it!

/Bill

Debe and I will both go, so add our names to the list.
The locals can add more info here, but I lived in southern Germany for a couple of years.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2006, 11:45:41 PM »

OK
for planning and estimates..count me in.... i love europe..  and if Bills goin, I GOTTA go he is my hero.... ;D ;D

sides...after last night, i OWE him some brewskies.....

ZWEIMAL Grosse Pils bitte!!!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2006, 11:14:10 AM »

OK
for planning and estimates..count me in.... i love europe..
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2006, 11:39:44 AM »

:-X except when  [smiley=drink.gif]

dont tell me you were in town having

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2006, 11:57:26 AM »

I also saw this on Discovery HD several months ago...amazing engineering.

I do have to ask the question though....would we Riders prefer to take the Bridge or the two hour winding mountain road beneath it to get between the two places???

/Bill

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:00:38 PM by WFP »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.