Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: HID Conversion - Need some updated feedback on what works  (Read 3933 times)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: HID Conversion - Need some updated feedback on what works
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »

they offered an 80w LED bulb for the high beam.
Just a comment: A true 80w LED would be about equal to a 120w halogen.  That's a huge amount of light...compare that to the common 35w HID or LED lights for high beam.  Those 35w lights are equal to the DOT standard 55w lights.  I'm wondering if it's really 80w, or if it's DOT legal.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

cvo2007

• Riding Harleys before it was popular to do so
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »

From the specs that I have found online, the 80W LED's are putting out 1200-1300 lumen.  A halogen H7 55W, per the internet,  is putting out 1500 lumen.  From what I understand, lumen is a better representation of actual light output so should be OK.  Certainly do not want an excuse for getting pulled over that is for sure.
Riding for over 40 years
Currently riding 2007 Ultra CVO

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »

Yes, lumen is light output, while watts are energy used.  LEDs are much more efficient at converting the electricity to light, rather than wasting the energy as heat.  They also put out way more light than halogens, even though LEDs use less wattage.  Doesn't make sense that an 80w led is making less light (1200) than a 55w Halo (1500).  If it's true, those particular leds aren't very good.

cvo2007

• Riding Harleys before it was popular to do so
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »

I hear you and wish others might comment on if they have used a LED cree H11 or H8 and if they worked.  I am a realist and have no expectations that these things are even close to a real LED headlight.  The supplier is out of stock right now anyways so just ordered the HID and will probably just replace the high beam with the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra bulb that others have commented on.  That way I do not even have to mess with the wiring issue with the garage door opener.  For some reason I just like the way this headlight looks and want to retain it if possible otherwise I would install the Daymaker headlight.  Heck might even wait until I get the HID kit and Daymaker Aux installed before doing anything else.  Maybe the next most logical step would be to change the wiring so that the Aux lights stay on when I hit the brights.  My guess is that the Daymaker Aux lights are going to give me the biggest ROI.
Riding for over 40 years
Currently riding 2007 Ultra CVO

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »

One more thing:  When I replaced my headlight with an HID on the SEUC, I noticed that the stock aux (passing lamps') color didn't match (looked dingy yellow next to the 6000K HID), so in CVO style I had to replace the passing lamps.  Anyway, it's better to get the color match right at the start.  Use the Kelvin scale to do that; if they're within a couple hundred degrees, it isn't a problem.  I like the ones around 6000K or so, since that's the whitest and brightest (once you get farther away in color, the lumen output starts to drop off).

I have the wiring harness HD makes that keeps the aux lamps on with the high beam.  It's a great thing, since the aux fills in the short distance shadow and along the side.

mark

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »

I just replaced my lo and hi beam to a 35 watt HID 6000k.  Wow, in the garage, with the lights on, in the daytime, the hi beam is so bright you can hardy look directly at it from a few feet away.  I don't see any need to try get the 55 watt HIDs....35 watts seems plenty. 

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »

being a light feind,  get 4300k,  they produce the most light output,  6000k is blue and not great for anything other than clear nights.  I run 4300k HID on my jeep and they are white and bright.  much better than crappy blue 6000k lights.  I sell them as well,  and recommend 4300k in HID lighting.  That is the color all oem man. use for HID in auto lighting.  LED are 6000k up,  if you can find 5000k grab them.
Mavericks RC
MFFM