Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Proud of my Son Attending MMI in Orlando  (Read 2305 times)

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Proud of my Son Attending MMI in Orlando
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:45:52 AM »

Back in Sept. i posted on here that my son had enrolled at MMI in Orlando, The first 6 weeks are all class room work this is the part i was afraid he would have trouble with I'm proud to say he came thru with flying colors with a grade point average of 4.0.

He's now in the clinic (shop) doing the hands on, After 3 weeks he still carring a 4.0

Maybe i will have my own H-D Tech. someday  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:06:29 AM by SERK3 »
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
Re: Proud of my Son Attending MMI in Orlando
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:58:58 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »

Congrats.....don't come by expecting a discount  :huepfenlol2: Seriously, as we all sadly know, don't think he can work himself out of a job!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 08:42:27 AM »

Congrats! There's a current member on here now attending there (The Kidd) and a guy over on roadglide.org that is also attending. I'd love to retire and take that up as a hobby. :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:50:01 AM »

Nice !!! Congrats keep up the good work !!!
DND

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »

We need good techs. congrats!  Is 62 too old to start a new career, or hobby most likely.
RayZ

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »

We need good techs. congrats!  Is 62 too old to start a new career, or hobby most likely.

I don't think so, He said there's a couple men in his class that are older than i am, And i'm 59
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »

Congratulations to him! He'll have a lot better edge and opportunity if he stays on that pace. My understanding is the area around Orlando is flooded with techs. My guess is they might be more mediocre students and have a hard time finding work. There is a program to be an HD tech in Fort Scott, Kansas as well. The nice thing about that school is that when you leave there, you actually have an associates college degree. You might talk to him about that and although it sounds like the classroom work part may not be his forte, if he did do the requirements for that school possibly online, he might have a better chance at working in the corporate side if he ever gets burned out spinning wrenches or if he wants to earn more money. If nothing else, I think he would have an edge over coworkers he may be competing with for a service manager etc. if he wants to be higher on the totem pole and still be associated with a dealership and the actual working some as a technician.

I figured out too late in life that sometimes making more money is not worth the expense if you are miserable. You should be proud of your boy for going after something he is passionate about. Most guys don't get rich doing this and putting his nose to the grindstone now could help considerably when it comes to pay day. Keep us posted on how he progresses along. Also, what is his "cornerstone" (that is the engine design he will be specialized in)? Pans, shovels, Knucks, Evo's, TC's? If he get the opportunity to learn the new water cooled stuff that may be the best option as far as work goes unless he wanted to maybe have his own shop specializing in restoring the early stuff. Always wondered if a guy could make a decent living just knowing the old stuff inside and out, what years had what changed and restore the vintage bikes to a perfect example of a bike from X year. Kinda build show quality vintage iron type thing and have an international customer base and be "the guy" on the old iron. Just a thought, maybe not really a good one.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »

Congratulations; I have always appreciated the tech's that work on my bike. The dealer that I use allows me to meet with him, I always do my best to let him know how much I appreciate his good work. I am not cut out to be a tech and for that reason don't mind paying for good service. I only wish more of the hourly rate went direct to the tech.

Our country needs more people that actually know how to do something vs. going to school to be a pencil pusher. Those with a true craft will always be in demand; I always remember the saying " if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life".

all my best

Scott

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »

Congrats,
Good choice and good performance so far  :2vrolijk_21:

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 06:54:50 PM »

Send him my congratulations and on his progress to this point and hopes for his continued success.  :2vrolijk_21:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Wesleypalms

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »

Awesome! I lost my son a few years ago. Enjoy everything you can.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »

Sweet deal!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 08:49:08 PM »

BZ  :2vrolijk_21:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 06:40:46 AM »

Congratulations to him! He'll have a lot better edge and opportunity if he stays on that pace. My understanding is the area around Orlando is flooded with techs. My guess is they might be more mediocre students and have a hard time finding work. There is a program to be an HD tech in Fort Scott, Kansas as well. The nice thing about that school is that when you leave there, you actually have an associates college degree. You might talk to him about that and although it sounds like the classroom work part may not be his forte, if he did do the requirements for that school possibly online, he might have a better chance at working in the corporate side if he ever gets burned out spinning wrenches or if he wants to earn more money. If nothing else, I think he would have an edge over coworkers he may be competing with for a service manager etc. if he wants to be higher on the totem pole and still be associated with a dealership and the actual working some as a technician.

I figured out too late in life that sometimes making more money is not worth the expense if you are miserable. You should be proud of your boy for going after something he is passionate about. Most guys don't get rich doing this and putting his nose to the grindstone now could help considerably when it comes to pay day. Keep us posted on how he progresses along. Also, what is his "cornerstone" (that is the engine design he will be specialized in)? Pans, shovels, Knucks, Evo's, TC's? If he get the opportunity to learn the new water cooled stuff that may be the best option as far as work goes unless he wanted to maybe have his own shop specializing in restoring the early stuff. Always wondered if a guy could make a decent living just knowing the old stuff inside and out, what years had what changed and restore the vintage bikes to a perfect example of a bike from X year. Kinda build show quality vintage iron type thing and have an international customer base and be "the guy" on the old iron. Just a thought, maybe not really a good one.

I'm not sure what "cornerstone" from what he's told me they touch on everything, I'll ask him next time i talk to him, They have tests every Friday and he calls me to let me know how he did on tests and most of the time what they worked on all week. He still has a year to go and i think he started at MMI at the right time with  the liquid cooled motors showing up and all the other gadgets. He did say they offer a course just for CVO's and he wants to take that. For the first X amount of weeks they work on H-D's and metric so he will have a understanding on all bikes, then he starts his elective which is H-D.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.52 seconds with 20 queries.